What would you change about your CX-9?

Gnicetry

2019 CX9 Signature
:
2019 CX9 Signat
I would have to say it is a great SUV. We are really loviing it. Couple of minor gripes are:
1-trip odometer only going to 999 miles. That is really lame. At least lose the tenths when it hits the 1000 mark.
2-memory presets for the side view mirrors
3-When I turn the wheel, the radio buttons always catch my hands (I have a 2008). I know the 2010 and up are now flush with the wheel.
4-horrendous coating/paint/clear on the faux matte silver interior pieces
5-bluetooth voice commands are always misunderstood

What would you guys and gals change?

I am serious about buying the next FMC.

What I want:
1) DI engine (+optional light Turbo) (better hp/torque/MPG)
2) Better overall reliability (good now, but not great)

1. Fuel mileage. I'd love a TDI option.
2. More though put into child seat installation. (anchor points, latch location)
3. iPod interface
4. Corrosion resistance (including the rotors)
5. Reliability (quality control)

1. The Smartkey functions/programability
2. Improve mileage
3. Carpet versus fuzzy cardbord
4. A real nav system
5. Durable paint

The first two should have come from the factory back in 07. Keep in mind I have an 08

1. Upgrade Stereo \ Nav to current standards, including the ability to attach and navigate an Ipod, RDS display for radio broadcasts, and update maps online instead of via DVD.

2. Upgrade Drive information Center to display useful items such as MPG, Miles til empty, Oil life, etc...

3. Auto locking doors and daytime running lights

These would be nice in a future upgrade

4. I really like the 3.7 but a turbo diesel that actually gets close to 30 mpg would be perfect

5. The ability to tow at least 5000 lbs like most of the competition can. (The TDI would really help here too)

6. While we are dreaming, a sound proof barrier between the front and rear seats that blocks the whines and cries of kids on long trips.

The first two should have come from the factory back in 07. Keep in mind I have an 08

1. Upgrade Stereo \ Nav to current standards, including the ability to attach and navigate an Ipod, RDS display for radio broadcasts, and update maps online instead of via DVD.

2. Upgrade Drive information Center to display useful items such as MPG, Miles til empty, Oil life, etc...

3. Auto locking doors and daytime running lights

Maybe they can make #3 optional. I can't stand either of those. If I want my headlights on during the day, I'll turn them on. If I want my doors locked, I'll press the lock button :)

Maybe they can make #3 optional. I can't stand either of those. If I want my headlights on during the day, I'll turn them on. If I want my doors locked, I'll press the lock button :)

It is easy to understand that not everyone would like those features, but providing them as options would be nice.

I like DRL's because PA has mandatory headlight law for construction zones and I always forget to turn them on. Sooner or later I will get a ticket for it and DRLs pretty much eliminate the chance of the ticket.

The auto door locks are just a safety thing. You see these whack jobs on the news who are jumping in cars stuck at red lights and pulling a gun or knife. I am more worried about my wife driving it with both of the kids in the car and someone going after them because she drives the CX9 most of the time. I have no problems locking the doors myself, but my wife... She is the stereotypical blonde so the more help she has, the better.

1. DRL
2. Friendly Navigation/bluetooth interface
3.Child anchor on 3rd row
4. Better mileage
4. smaller front grille/and or more chrome grille
5. Autolock doors
6. 21 or 22 in alloy wheels option

Last edited:
>5: autolock doors?
What do you mean? The newer models have that, right?

Our 2008 has autolock doors. As soon as I am out of the card's range the doors auto lock. Ahh unless you mean auto lock once you put it in drive? Only had the CX-9 for a week so haven't really noticed this yet?!?!
DRL is mandatory in Canada so all vehicles have them.

Last edited:
Models after 2010 have the speed-activated or gear-activated auto-lock.
Our 2009- models do not have that. See another thread I started for more on this.

You're right, it does automatically closes when vehicle is in motion. I'm reading the other forum thread about autolock doors, it seems the autolock feature is when vehicle on park need yet to be activated by bringing it to a dealer?? Hopefully, the next generation would have the switch button for autolock doors feature. Unless there is a feature like this that I'm not aware of since the vehicle is relative new to me.

Last edited:
additonal:

7. tonneau/compartment cover available for those with auto hatch
8 more attractive dashboard styling
9.more interior compartments including bigger glove box

Some of the newer models have fix these issues, but for my '07 GT. Bold are things I think were fixed.

1. Annoying ding upon openning door, when headlights are on in auto mode (It will auto shut-off, stop dinging!)
2. Passenger side seat height adjustment. (A real head banger)
3. Auto locking doors after 15mph or upon shift to D.
4. DRL instead of HID's
5. BSM
6. Back-up guidlines
7. Adjustable heated seat (on/off doesn't cut it.)

Some of the newer models have fix these issues, but for my '07 GT. Bold are things I think were fixed.

1. Annoying ding upon openning door, when headlights are on in auto mode (It will auto shut-off, stop dinging!)
2. Passenger side seat height adjustment. (A real head banger)
3. Auto locking doors after 15mph or upon shift to D.
4. DRL instead of HID's
5. BSM
6. Back-up guidlines
7. Adjustable heated seat (on/off doesn't cut it.)

I don't know if I would give up my HID's for DRL's. A lot of reviews complain that the std halogen headlights are very dim. Maybe could add some LEDs Audi-style. I'm not sure if that is played out yet or not. Even some bargain basement Kia's now have them, so maybe we're better off without.

The backup guidelines ( I am assuming with the camera) would be nice . It's is not always easy to judge distance with that thing.

The heated seat adjustment is a MUST though. I agree wholeheartedly on that one. I can't believe I forgot it on my list.

Ambient lighting
SAT NAV. this thing is donkey 2003 style and should be free in a GT
The ability to have more than one programmable key in the vehicle at one time. I have to leave mine at home when my wife drives and visa versa.
TDI or turbo intercooled & DI
Better system info on fuel, temps, etc. Shouldn't have to get a scangauge just to extract this info.
Better looking front facia. I know when you smile the whole world smiles with you, but this is a car
get rid of the bar doors on the arm rest. just a simple one piece armrest please.
12v outlet up front
rear lift window.
Flat as opposed to raised roof rails. I need to carry stuff up there. 100 lb limit is weak unless you're carrying teddy bears or feather pillows.
A transmission that can tow 5000lbs
Handsfree mic that works

I just bought a used 08 GT AWD with a Visteon rear DVD/Gameboy entertainment package. Loving it so far, but here are a few gripes and issues I have just after 2 days of owning it:

1. More cabin storage. Even my smaller Rav4 had more storage.
2. Silver trim on door handles that easily get scuffed - due to poor paint apparently
3. Anchor latch on the middle 2nd row and 3rd row seats
4. A/C blower relay malfunction - apparently a common issue

I'll more to the list as I get more acquainted with my CX-9.

Just a few things

My 2010 GT AWD has essentially been mechanically flawless. Have yet to have it at the dealer for anything mechanical other than oil change after 27,000miles.

There are a few things I would like to change however:

1) rear vision when backing up. Even with the nav system backup camera it is tough to see if it's raining. Turning one's head to look out the back is useless except for locating large buildings and Mack trucks. I've smacked and broken a rear taillight ($500) by clipping a tree while driving back via video screen. Rear video near useless in rain especially at night. Night problem might have something to do with the stainless tailgate lip protector reflecting light but basically the system is least useful when you need it most (night, foul weather).
2) front vision when parking. Very difficult to judge where the front bumper is. I always seem to have about two feet extra and wish there was a simple system (?sonar) to assist when parking
3) Middle middle seat is very uncomfortable for an adult. Needs more padding, suspension.
4) Nav is not as bad as many claim but it could use an update. Took me a year to figure out what menu allowed setting favorite places or whatever it's called so you can set destination while car is in motion.
5) Rear hatch opens too slowly and with too much resistance when doing it manually.
6) Door unlocking is sometimes a challenge when trying to use the driver's door to unlock other doors. Requires two clicks but sometimes it doesn't work. Wish there was a setting to allow the driver's door to function just like the passenger door and tailgate (ie one click opens all doors).
7) Although I love the handling of the car, there are times I wish it had an extra inch or two of clearance and felt a bit more like an SUV. I'd sacrifice a tad of the handling to get a little closer to the SUV feel. Most of the time however I am glad it is not an SUV having owned a few of those and the typically clunky handling. The CX9 is really Mazda's luxury sedan with a station wagon body. Not really a crossover IMO. Honda CRV is a crossover in my book. The CX9 is superb for highway but makes me very nervous in slightest off road or dirt road situation.

Wish list: TDI engine. DI engine if no TDI. Need to have 20mpg real world gas mileage and average 25-30mpg at 65mph. I suspect the DI engine could do that and know the TDI could. Would gladly sacrifice a second of acceleration to 60 for additional 5mpg.

A pet peeve that I have is that the interior door handles feel really cheap. The silver plastic one. Metal door pulls would be so much nicer.
One other thing I don't like on the GT is the wood trim. I really like the piano black on the sport model. I even considered swapping out the parts. The center console pieces in black are around $100 each, but from what I could tell, the door trim pieces only come with the purchase of the entire door panel. Too pricey for me to change.

Last edited:
Back