What surprised you about the CX-5 after you bought it?

If you are pushing wide, it's because you are going too fast for the conditions, your tires are crap or you aren't skilled enough in winter driving, not because you have a 2.5L and can't produce as much grip in a corner. Sure there are advantages to having a lighter front end, but they are pretty insignificant to other factors in those conditions.

I'm going to be blunt and be brutally honest here when I say that's a really stupid thing to say. Let me fix it for you by simplifying it.

If you are pushing wide, you are going too fast for conditions. Period. It doesn't matter if your tires or driving skills suck, you're simply going too fast if you're not able to keep it in your lane. But here's the part you confuse. If you have better tires, more driving skill or a car that has less tendency to push wide, the safe speed for conditions becomes higher. Which means if traction is suddenly reduced, the car with better tires or more balanced handling has a larger margin of safety. Your view neglects this all important fact. And yes, the extra 112 pounds of the bigger motor in the engine bay is a distinct disadvantage under low traction conditions, particularly when there is only one or two occupants and little cargo. Anyone who says differently doesn't have a clue.

I would rather have the extras bhp and torque to get me out of bad situations. One advantage is having more torque gives you a better chance to use a higher gear and reduce wheel spin when climbing a steep ice cover hill. I wouldn't want to use 2nd or 3rd to get up a hill with a foot of snow on it, would rather have the larger engine with more torque and use a higher gear.

That is just plain wrong and I will explain exactly why it's wrong if you're willing to be open-minded and learn something new rather than repeating common fallacies and half-baked ideas.

The entire reason a skilled driver might prefer a higher gear (over a lower gear) to climb steep ice is because the higher gear reduces torque to the drive wheels. In a marginal traction situation the reduced torque can make it easier to maintain traction rather than spinning the tires up. The smaller 2.0L engine has reduced torque to begin with so there is less need to shift to a higher gear to avoid excessive torque to the drive wheels. And yes, this is not just theoretical knowledge it's from decades of snow driving experience in at least 30 different vehicles (my employers, my own vehicles and an occasional rental or borrowed vehicle). Regardless of engine torque, you simply select a gear that provides marginal torque. Thankfully, both the 2.0L and the 2.5L have broad, flat torque curves so neither engine has any particular advantage in this respect. And, in traction limited situations, you will NEVER need more power than the 2.0L engine can provide. Excessive power is never an advantage when your primary challenge is lack of traction.

What is of great benefit to snow/ice traction in terms of engine/drivetrain configuration is a lack of rotating mass. Too much mass wants to stay in motion for too long. When a wheel does break loose and start to spin, it's quicker and easier for it to regain traction if it's lighter. That's why I have my winter tires mounted on my much lighter aftermarket wheels. They hook-up and regain traction easier than the heavier wheels. The advantage of less rotating mass extends beyond the wheels to the
engine itself. This is one additional area where the 2.0L engine is better in traction limited situations. The 2.5L requires twin balance shafts running the length of the engine underneath the crankshaft. These shafts spin at twice the engine rpm and add a considerable amount of gyroscopic effect that just doesn't exist on the 2.0L engine.

From a practical standpoint, they are both excellent snow cars and, equipped with winter tires, either one is going to get you where you're going. But the 2.0L does have the edge. All this means is that if you were to race both vehicles on an icy, traction limited course with twists and turns, with equal drivers and tires the 2.0L would be faster (primarily due to the better weight distribution). Or, looked at another way, in an unexpectedly treacherous situation, the 2.0L would have a little more margin of safety.

Last edited:
And it comes down to racing on icy roads to see the comparison, which was the original point...far away from what the CX5 was designed for. It's like arguing a 458 is better than an Aventador because it has a bigger trunk.

Your comments are true, I'm not saying otherwise, but the your comments such as "greatly increases corner performance" is pushing it a little. There is a point on a snowy race track when power will overcome this "greatly increased" corner ability and prove to be more useful. But I know with you it's the 2.0L no matter what, every thread turns into the same thing no matter what the OP posted.

Last edited:
And it comes down to racing on icy roads to see the comparison, which was the original point...far away from what the CX5 was designed for. It's like arguing a 458 is better than an Aventador because it has a bigger trunk.

You completely missed the point when you ignored my conclusion:

"Or, looked at another way, in an unexpectedly treacherous situation, the 2.0L would have a little more margin of safety."

The bit about racing on an icy road was simply to describe a scenario that was completely objective in order to quantify the very real benefit of having more balanced weight distribution. In real world driving this advantage manifests as a larger margin of safety during an unexpected emergency.

And yes, the extra 112 pounds of the bigger motor in the engine bay is a distinct disadvantage under low traction conditions, particularly when there is only one or two occupants and little cargo. Anyone who says differently doesn't have a clue.

Are you saying that it is the 2.5 engine that weighs 112 lbs more than than the 2.0 motor or that the cx-5 vehicles equipped with the 2.5 motor is 112 lbs heavier than a cx-5 vehicle with 2.0 motor ?

Things surprised me the most after we bought the CX-5:

• How poor the Bose system sound quality is. Especially someone at Mazda decided to eliminate front directional tweeters (and a subwoofer)!
  • How poor the gas mileage is on AWD model. Can never reach EPA gas mileage - 30 MPG on highways.

I was surprised how well the car responds to suspension modifications. All this talk about extra weight up front affecting turn in, if it's that noticeable get a stiffer end link. You don't even need to change the OEM FSB out. I'll take my 2.5 over my old 2.p0op anyday

Are you saying that it is the 2.5 engine that weighs 112 lbs more than than the 2.0 motor or that the cx-5 vehicles equipped with the 2.5 motor is 112 lbs heavier than a cx-5 vehicle with 2.0 motor ?

It's the vehicle that's 112 lb. heavier. The weight is mostly due to the larger engine with twin balance shafts but a small amount of the additional weight is due to a slightly larger battery and starter motor. In any case, the extra weight is all very forward in the vehicle.

All this talk about extra weight up front affecting turn in, if it's that noticeable get a stiffer end link. You don't even need to change the OEM FSB out. I'll take my 2.5 over my old 2.p0op anyday

I haven't seen anyone complain about turn-in. The handling difference I was speaking of is due to the difference in front/rear weight distribution. This will be felt all the way through the corner. On bare dry pavement you would have to be really railing the corners (or have really bad tires) for it to matter but, on low traction surfaces it comes into play much easier. This is mostly an issue with front seat only passengers and minimal luggage. With two adults in the rear and a bit of luggage in the trunk it is a non-issue.

Things surprised me the most after we bought the CX-5:

• How poor the Bose system sound quality is. Especially someone at Mazda decided to eliminate front directional tweeters (and a subwoofer)!
  • How poor the gas mileage is on AWD model. Can never reach EPA gas mileage - 30 MPG on highways.
Bose has always sucked. It's not a mazda problem

I haven't seen anyone complain about turn-in. The handling difference I was speaking of is due to the difference in front/rear weight distribution. This will be felt all the way through the corner. On bare dry pavement you would have to be really railing the corners (or have really bad tires) for it to matter but, on low traction surfaces it comes into play much easier. This is mostly an issue with front seat only passengers and minimal luggage. With two adults in the rear and a bit of luggage in the trunk it is a non-issue.

Does this imply that you also feel that your vehicle handles significantly more poorly when the gas tank is nearly empty? Can you logically defend your answer with math?

Bose has always sucked. It's not a mazda problem
Not necessary. 7-speaker Bose system on new CX-3, which has dash directional tweeters and spare-tire subwoofer where Mazda conveniently eliminated on CX-5, has better sound quality although it's cheaper. Whoever designed or specified the Bose system from Mazda on CX-5 had dropped the ball, by providing mostly nine mid-range paper-cone speakers and eliminating tweeters for high notes and subwoofer for bass. We want good quality sound system supporting full-range frequency response 20 Hz ~ 20 KHz for music. We don't watch movie while driving, and we don't need front-center heavy surround sound effect (even with Bose Centerpoint II off) designed for movie watching with that many mid-range speakers.

Does this imply that you also feel that your vehicle handles significantly more poorly when the gas tank is nearly empty? Can you logically defend your answer with math?

Yes, on icy corners my CX-5 holds a line the best when I have a bit of weight in the back, around 30-50 lb. and a tank above 1/2 full. On bare pavement you have to push it harder to notice this but it holds true there as well.

Defend my answer with math? No, I'm just speaking from personal observation.

I expected the CX-5 to be a capable snow car, I guess what surprised me the most is just how good it really proved to be. It has seen a wide variety of what the North Cascades can spit out over it's first three winters and has impressed me every time. It's the easiest, most stress free vehicle I've ever driven in the snow. There is a downside to this. The amount of control and feedback it provides tends to be slightly intoxicating. On an empty, icy or snow covered road it tempts you to go faster than prudence dictates. Fortunately, it hasn't bitten me yet. My AWD Subaru didn't speak to me in the same way (it had a much less direct feel), it didn't encourage driving at or near the limit (because you could never really tell how it was getting along). Plus, it had terrible throttle response which is critical in the slippery stuff and also in deep, wet mashed potatoes with an icy layer underneath. The Subie always got me there but it was a rather tedious experience with nebulous brakes and numb steering. Driving the CX-5 in the snow is more of a joyful experience and this is due to it being a complete package that fits together really well (throttle response, smooth shifting, long travel suspension that is well stabilized and damped, nice progressive brake response and excellent steering feedback. It's a complete package.

The good: I was surprised at just how good the real fuel mileage was expecting the term Skyactiv to be just another marketing hyped up slogan.

The bad: I was disappointed in the road and wind noise after I started driving it on extended highway trips.

The most recent surprise after not driving it for over a week was just how brilliant this chassis is. It's hard to imagine this vehicle competing as an SUV because it really does have the soul of a sporty well balanced sedan. I few weeks ago I drove a 2013 anivesary edition Corvette for two hours and when I got back into my CX5 it did feel like I was driving a mile off the ground but I also realized just how great the Skyactiv Transmission is and how well everything on this vehicle works together. I can imagine Chris-Top-Her wouldn't sink another dime into modifying his CX5 if he only knew what a real sports car was capable of 😜

Sorry Chris I just can't resist. I do appreciate some of the things you do as I know some others here do too.

2 main complains:

1) Heated seats are a joke. They're barely warm even on the highest setting
2) MPG. I don't know how you guys drive but I live in the suburbs of Pittsburgh, I rarely drive in the city and I hardly hit any heavy traffic. My avg MPG has been 23.2 -23.5 mpg since day 1. Even on a 6 lanes highway at 65mph, the onboard computer doesn't go above 28-30 MPG on the flat. I have now 2,200 miles on my 2016 CX-5 Touring AWD w/ Tech Pack. Hopefully after I change the oil for the 1st time, I'll see a substantial increase because as it is now, it's disappointing.

Last edited:
2 main complains:

1) Heated seats are a joke. They're barely warm even on the highest setting
2) MPG. I don't know how you guys drive but I live in the suburbs of Pittsburgh, I rarely drive in the city and I hardly hit any heavy traffic. My avg MPG has been 23.2 -23.5 mpg since day 1. Even on a 6 lanes highway at 65mph, the onboard computer doesn't go above 28-30 MPG on the flat. I have now 2,200 miles on my 2016 CX-5 Touring AWD w/ Tech Pack. Hopefully after I change the oil for the 1st time, I'll see a substantial increase because as it is now, it's disappointing.

I have the same-equipped CX-5, and am seeing exactly the same results, for the record. I think you would literally have to "drive like there's an egg under your accelerator pedal" to get any different...

Having said that, I'm coming from a L-O-N-G line of 89-91 octane FUEL HOGS, the best of which got 16mpg on 89 octane - so from MY perspective, I'm doing pretty good! I would have thought that I'd be getting closer to 26-28MPG combined by now, but not so.

My ONLY real "complaint" so far (1K miles) is the side detection thing (sorry - I forgot the proper name) which beeps at me CONSTANTLY! Is there a "hack" that can turn off the audio portion of that program I wanna know?

1. Play music from USB issue (fixed)
2. Charge in cubby and in the back always on
3. OEM remote start in separate "BIG" key fob, still up to 2016 model (why can't they Mazda make it in a single fob or replace the original fob with the one with remote start if you would install one?)
4. Nav came with warning of red light camera.

Blind spot monitoring

I have the same-equipped CX-5, and am seeing exactly the same results, for the record. I think you would literally have to "drive like there's an egg under your accelerator pedal" to get any different...

Having said that, I'm coming from a L-O-N-G line of 89-91 octane FUEL HOGS, the best of which got 16mpg on 89 octane - so from MY perspective, I'm doing pretty good! I would have thought that I'd be getting closer to 26-28MPG combined by now, but not so.

My ONLY real "complaint" so far (1K miles) is the side detection thing (sorry - I forgot the proper name) which beeps at me CONSTANTLY! Is there a "hack" that can turn off the audio portion of that program I wanna know?

It should only beep if a car (or object) is to the side of you , and your turn signal is activated (otherwise it just lights the symbol in the side mirrors)! Mine is pretty accurate with very few falses!

You can turn off Blind Spot Monitoring with one of the switches on the left side of the lower dash 2nd row, the one on the left showing 2 cars with ((( in the middle). I found it a PIA at first, but have since adjusted and with the CX-5 blind spots, it definitely has saved my bacon on numerous occasions!

Last edited:
according to the 2016 manual, the hack for the BSM beep is found in the settings section under sounds

MPG. I don't know how you guys drive but I live in the suburbs of Pittsburgh, I rarely drive in the city and I hardly hit any heavy traffic. My avg MPG has been 23.2 -23.5 mpg since day 1. Even on a 6 lanes highway at 65mph, the onboard computer doesn't go above 28-30 MPG on the flat. I have now 2,200 miles on my 2016 CX-5 Touring AWD w/ Tech Pack. Hopefully after I change the oil for the 1st time, I'll see a substantial increase because as it is now, it's disappointing.

I was running 26-28 mpg, mostly rural/city with a ridiculously uncharacteristic 'light foot'. Just had the 5,000-mile oil change and the mpg improved nicely. (yippy)

image.jpeg

Latest posts

Back