What surprised you about the CX-5 after you bought it?

the gas mileage has been spot on to what was advertised, ~29 mpg with mixed driving. i am actually averaging slightly over 30 mpg. i have never had a car in the past where the advertised mpg was accurate.

Interesting. Where do you live? I live in NWA, and nothing is flat. It's all long, graded inclines. I literally never see anything but 21mpg, or 45mpg. The car is always going up, or down, even on long multi-mile stretches of highway. I think that is what has made this vehicle not get the advertised mileage, because when I want to a flatter area (San Antonio), I indeed got the mixed mileage, or close to it, that I was supposed to, per the sticker.

Did you buy without test driving first? I would think the above items would be the kind of thing you would discover on even a short test drive.

I've never noticed anything special/different about the accelerator/brake controls, they feel very natural to me.

I have noticed the pedals are very awkward, but that's coming from someone used to heel-toe, and not an econo-SUV. I have adapted, and all is well, but if you are used to a sports car, it will feel awkward.

Biggest surprise for me? The performance/MPG ratio.

Many of the auto critics were calling the 2.0L engine "under-powered". I had test driven it before purchase and knew it had enough power for me but it wasn't until I had put a few thousand miles on it that I realized just how well it went, even fully loaded up a mountain pass. And I didn't expect to get better than EPA HWY MPG number for my AVERAGE MPG (including city driving, off-road driving and winter trips to the ski area).
The torque curve of the SkyActiv engines, and the gearing are excellent! While I would not like the 2.0, I am very impressed with the 2.5, and they are similar in how they deliver their power, somewhat. Very V8-ish power-curve on my 2.5! mazda really hit a home run with this engine family.

Driving down super curvy forest and mountain roads is a lot more fun than I expected. The steering feels very accurate and responsive, noticeably better than my previous VW Tiguan (although the Tiguan had more power with the turbo).

1. Can't open/close the passenger side window after turning the engine off. Very annoying.
2. Auto-up of driver's side window cancelled when engine is turned off: must hold the button to make the window go up all the way. WTF?
3. Accessory power outlet in the cubby is always on.
4. USB port cannot charge smartphone, will not play songs on Android smartphone because it does not support MTP (only "Mass Storage Device").
5. USB playback does not resume after off / on (fixed since purchase!).
6. USB playback shuffle not random enough.
7. Can't hold the steering wheel in one hand while resting it on the armrest.
8. Hood vibrations (fixed since purchase!).
9. Driver's side mirror vibrations (fixed since purchase!).

However, I think all these are small gripes. I overall like the vehicle, the cargo space, how it drives and the fuel economy.

Driving down super curvy forest and mountain roads is a lot more fun than I expected. The steering feels very accurate and responsive, noticeably better than my previous VW Tiguan (although the Tiguan had more power with the turbo).
Steering feel. Yes. That impresses the hell out of me from an SUV. Mazda did a superb job, here.

Here's my rather long gripe list.

(8) No rear a/c vents
(11) Still haven't gotten used to that weird shaped arm rest
QUOTE]

I knew going into my purchase about the rear air, but since our kids are grown (and no grandkids yet) this wasn't a high priority for us. And the arm rest...very annoying!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I love having the real-time traffic updates on my 2015! I didn't even know it had this feature until the first time I was re-routed around an accident. It is safer than checking the MDOT app while driving to see the current crashes. The alert for red light & speed cameras was also a surprise and it is helpful if I need to drive in Toledo.

So far, I am thinking 2015 was the best year. No stupid "sport mode", has all the driveline updates, got the better GPS/NAV.

So far, I am thinking 2015 was the best year. No stupid "sport mode", has all the driveline updates, got the better GPS/NAV.

I wouldn't trade my 2013 for a 2015 (assuming N. American models) because 2013 was the only year you could get the sweet little 2.0L engine with AWD and the awesome AT. I like the 2.0L motor for it's rev happy nature (doesn't need heavy balance shafts spinning at twice the rpm's as the engine) and great MPG and lighter weight in the engine bay for more nimble handling. I would never trade all these advantages for a few more HP. Even the battery is lighter and less expensive.

1. This thing is a BLAST to drive. Wait, did I really just say that about a CUV. Great job Mazda, great job. I actually accelerate around curves and turns.
2. I have never enjoyed night time driving as much as I do now with the lighting system on the cx5. Damn it is appealing.
3. GPS takes a minute or less to lock on to satellites. Never had that happen on previous cars.
4. A little disappointed that map updates are still stuck in q2 of 2014. Would certainly hope for more updated maps than that in a brand new car, towards the end of 2015.
5. Love the control knob more than I ever thought. Don't think I could have a car now without it.
6. Really don't like the fact that the screens night/day mode is directly tied in with the systems headlights. Headlights turn on probably earlier than really needed, but that means my screen brightness goes does when it really shouldn't. Then I have to turn the knob in the dash to up the brightness.
7. Gas mileage is meeting my needs for sure. In my short time so far average about 28-30 with 50/50 driving. And in my one fill up, it cost about the same it would cost to fill up my elantra. Not sure how but I'll take it.
8. Did I mention it's a blast to drive?

Last edited:
6. Really don't like the fact that the screens night/day mode is directly tied in with the systems headlights. Headlights turn on probably earlier than really needed, but that means my screen brightness goes does when it really shouldn't. Then I have to turn the knob in the dash to up the brightness.

In the 2015 model there is an option to change the auto headlight sensitivity in the car settings through the nav screen.

I wouldn't trade my 2013 for a 2015 (assuming N. American models) because 2013 was the only year you could get the sweet little 2.0L engine with AWD and the awesome AT. I like the 2.0L motor for it's rev happy nature (doesn't need heavy balance shafts spinning at twice the rpm's as the engine) and great MPG and lighter weight in the engine bay for more nimble handling. I would never trade all these advantages for a few more HP. Even the battery is lighter and less expensive.

I think the 2.0 is a great motor for a 2,000# Auto X car. The 2.5L goes much better in something meant to tow, haul stuff/people, etc.

What I never understood about you, is why in the world you drive an SUV when all of these sports-car things are what matter to you? It's like me buying another Z06 and putting a trailer hitch and lift kit on it. It's a cheap, compact SUV, meant for the carrying/pulling of things through less than perfect terrain/environments.

- Lower than expected MPG for my driving style.
- More engine noise than expected.

- Lower than expected MPG for my driving style.
- More engine noise than expected.

What previous vehicles have you driven?

Not sure what you drove previously but I notice many who came from cars with lower drag coefficients and wonder why MPG isn't better. Maybe some think of the CX-5 more as a car than an SUV.

What I never understood about you, is why in the world you drive an SUV when all of these sports-car things are what matter to you? It's like me buying another Z06 and putting a trailer hitch and lift kit on it. It's a cheap, compact SUV, meant for the carrying/pulling of things through less than perfect terrain/environments.

I don't think you have been listening to very much of what I've explained to you in previous posts.

I am an avid winter sports/backcountry enthusiast and my favorite ski area gets more snow than any other ski area in North America. This means plenty of winter storms, the likes of which you have never seen. Many backcountry adventures have remote trailheads, often unplowed. Sports cars are a terrible choice for driving through this kind of weather and do not have enough room inside for backcountry partners and outdoor gear. The roads are steep, poorly maintained and very twisty. The distances are great so range/fuel economy is important. Even with my 400 + mile range I need to drive 34 miles round-trip to re-fuel when the skiing is at it's best because there is exactly zero fuel available between my mountain cabin and the best alpine access points. The plows stop running before dark, even when it's dumping five inches/hour. This is not a job for a sports car! Duh!

The better weight distribution of the little 2.0L engine greatly increases the corner performance in the snow/ice because the front end doesn't have as much tendency to push wide. And believe me, in the early season (before the snowbanks have had an opportunity to build up and function as guardrails) the last thing you want to do is push wide on some of these corners because you will be on a 1000 foot trip off the side of the mountain the narrow road is chiseled into. Of course pushing wide on a right hand corner just puts you into the on-coming lane where, if luck is with you, you won't be staring into the throat of one of these barreling down on you at 35 mph as you slide into the spinning blades:

nevada_dot_kodiak_snowblower.jpg

No, you really don't want your front end pushing wide on any of those right hand corners.

The WSDOT uses these too:

This photo is from May, once the weather starts to lighten up. While this style plow doesn't have spinning blades it's still a shocker to come around a narrow corner and be looking at one of these in the wide shovel. You do not want to push wide on these corners.

Here's a photo from July:

2634535252_d9d16406b0_b.jpg

This is not sports car country (even if I could fit all my backcountry gear in one). But the sporty, well balanced handling of my CX-5 is sure appreciated.

Any questions?

Last edited:
I don't think you have been listening to very much of what I've explained to you in previous posts.

I am an avid winter sports/backcountry enthusiast and my favorite ski area gets more snow than any other ski area in North America. This means plenty of winter storms, the likes of which you have never seen. Many backcountry adventures have remote trailheads, often unplowed. Sports cars are a terrible choice for driving through this kind of weather and do not have enough room inside for backcountry partners and outdoor gear. The roads are steep, poorly maintained and very twisty. The distances are great so range/fuel economy is important. Even with my 400 + mile range I need to drive 34 miles round-trip to re-fuel when the skiing is at it's best because there is exactly zero fuel available between my mountain cabin and the best alpine access points. The plows stop running before dark, even when it's dumping five inches/hour. This is not a job for a sports car! Duh!

The better weight distribution of the little 2.0L engine greatly increases the corner performance in the snow/ice because the front end doesn't have as much tendency to push wide. And believe me, in the early season (before the snowbanks have had an opportunity to build up and function as guardrails) the last thing you want to do is push wide on some of these corners because you will be on a 1000 foot trip off the side of the mountain the narrow road is chiseled into. Of course pushing wide on a right hand corner just puts you into the on-coming lane where, if luck is with you, you won't be staring into the throat of one of these barreling down on you at 35 mph as you slide into the spinning blades:

nevada_dot_kodiak_snowblower.jpg

No, you really don't want your front end pushing wide on any of those right hand corners.

The WSDOT uses these too:

This photo is from May, once the weather starts to lighten up. While this style plow doesn't have spinning blades it's still a shocker to come around a narrow corner and be looking at one of these in the wide shovel. You do not want to push wide on these corners.

Here's a photo from July:

2634535252_d9d16406b0_b.jpg

This is not sports car country (even if I could fit all my backcountry gear in one). But the sporty, well balanced handling of my CX-5 is sure appreciated.

Any questions?

Why not a Subaru Impreza or 2.0XT? Gas cost can't mean THAT much to you at your age/life position.

If you are pushing wide, it's because you are going too fast for the conditions, your tires are crap or you aren't skilled enough in winter driving, not because you have a 2.5L and can't produce as much grip in a corner. Sure there are advantages to having a lighter front end, but they are pretty insignificant to other factors in those conditions.

I would rather have the extras bhp and torque to get me out of bad situations. One advantage is having more torque gives you a better chance to use a higher gear and reduce wheel spin when climbing a steep ice cover hill. I wouldn't want to use 2nd or 3rd to get up a hill with a foot of snow on it, would rather have the larger engine with more torque and use a higher gear.

I presume you have driven both engine types in the same conditions so and came to that conclusion?

Last edited:
Why not a Subaru Impreza or 2.0XT? Gas cost can't mean THAT much to you at your age/life position.

I've owned an AWD Subaru Wagon and my brother has an AWD Subaru that, IMO, is over-powered and overweight for winter driving. The Mazda CX-5 is a better snow/ice car than any Subaru I've driven. Contrary to what some of you people from down south believe, it's not about getting there, any decent car properly setup for the snow will get you there. It's about getting you there in safety, feeling well rested when you arrive. The CX-5 is better because it controls body sway/motion better and provides more driver feedback which helps avoid going into an uncontrolled slide. This even helps on cold, bare/wet roads because the corners are often tight and the grades steep, the less you need to slow down to negotiate the corners, the better.

The CX-5 provides loads of road to driver feedback which is super important for surfaces with varying and limited traction. A numb feeling vehicle doesn't provide the subtle feedback so important to early slide detection and correction to avoid a slide. This is especially important in the deadly zone we call the "transition zone", the elevation at which the road may be bare or it may be frozen. In the PNW the normal winter condition is bare and wet at sea-level, below freezing in the mountains. This zone moves throughout the day and is where most fatal accidents happen. The reason it's so deadly is because traffic is moving at high speeds until the transition zone is encountered. Traffic doesn't creep along at 25 mph because there might be ice (you would spend most of your day driving), it goes 50-65 mph, corners and potential ice be damned. Often, you cannot see the ice visually, you need to feel a slip and correct before control is lost. And the cushy ride and agricultural driving dynamics of most Subaru's do not do the driver any favors in the deadly transition zone.

The fact that the CX-5 returns considerably better MPG's is just a nice side benefit. Why do you think you know more about the best tool for my life than I do?

Back