What MPG are you getting in your MS3 ?

parkerfe

:
2008.5 MS3, 82 Ferrari BB512i, 08 Suzuki Hayabusa
I am looking to buy a 2008.5 MS3 to replace my soon to be off lease 2006 M5. I am sick of the 12.5 mpg I get on my 21 mile one way commute to work. So what MPG are you guys getting in real world driving?

Last edited:
My commute (rural roads, almost no stop 'n' go, no interstates) is getting me about 21 mpg. If I could keep my foot out of the turbo, I could probably squeeze 24-25). Interstate ranges from 28.8 to 30.4.

About 30-32 mpg all highway miles, i commute 25 miles each way.

Do a search there is about 3-4 threads on this already.

Wow, those MPGs seem like a dream compared to my current 12.5mpg...

I'm averaging about 26.5 mpg going 32 miles 1 way to work, 5 days per week at 70% highway (74mph cruise control). Minimum city driving and zero highway driving on weekend.

Best ever, per tank: 28.9mpg......worst ever: 24.3mpg

I did the same thing you're doing now......asking actual owners what they got. My surveys of about 14 different drivers around the US came in at 27mpg highway (60-80% highway vs 40-20%city).

Try ecomodder.com too. I found a guy there who tracked his mileage, driving habits, gallon usage, etc, etc. I found it to be right in line with my actual numbers.

I also test drove an MS3 GT, and compared the MPG numbers the car displayed (resetting the data to zero before leaving dealership) vs the sticker. This gave me 26.9 highway.

My driving habits are: Easy on the car at start-up, drive the highway portion w/ cruise and then on the last 2 miles of city driving, chirp 1st, 2nd & 3rd (trac cntrl on) at each light.

Have fun and let us know when you chirp 4th!

Wow, those MPGs seem like a dream compared to my current 12.5mpg...
Ouch! My Hemi Ram does better than that.

BTW, if you're relying on the computer for your mileage figures you'll want to subtract 10-12%.

same here.....or at least up until a few weeks ago....was averaging 12-14mpg in the city........now with my MS3 I'm 20-23mpg in the burbs. Spirited driving but I don't flogg it. Highway at 70-75mph I get 27-32mpg depending on how much fun I have.

I am looking to buy a 2008.5 MS3 to replace my soon to be off lease 2006 M5. I am sick of the 12.5 mpg I get on my 21 mile one way commute to work. So what MPG are you guys getting in real world driving?

best tank so far about 30%city 70%hwy with no ac 28mpg. should get a bit better now that ive switched to penzoil platinum

This is my experience with synthetic oil, and no change when adding mods:

If I cruise control when I drive around 100 miles to visit family, I can get 26 mpg.... otherwise I get a pretty consistent 22mpg. I have tried everything everyone has suggested, altered my driving heavily, and even drove 2 tanks keeping completely out of boost (people behind me in traffic very pissed). Know what happened??? Same mileage. While people are getting 30mpg and I am stuck getting 22mpg!?!! All time worst was 16mpg. The entire tank I was pushing the car. THAT was drivng!!

Anyway, hope for the best and plan for the worst. I can't remember exactly how much power the M5 makes, but 12mpg isn't worth it. Now a modded up speed3 getting close to 300 hp making 22 mpg seems like a nice tradeoff ;)

Ouch! My Hemi Ram does better than that.

BTW, if you're relying on the computer for your mileage figures you'll want to subtract 10-12%.

Yeah, the trip computer always exagerates on the MPG. It is always over by 1-3 MPG on my MS3. Typically I get between 23 - 28 depenging on how "Spirited" my driving is. I drive a lot on 295 here in maryland which can be 80mph or stop and go the whole way.

Yeah, the trip computer always exagerates on the MPG. It is always over by 1-3 MPG on my MS3. Typically I get between 23 - 28 depenging on how "Spirited" my driving is. I drive a lot on 295 here in maryland which can be 80mph or stop and go the whole way.

I've grown up riding/driving on 95, 495, sometimes 295, 270, and 650, route 1, etc. It's insane, I understand ;)

My average is 22-23 mpg for my daily driving, which is 90% city. On a 2K trip to Colorado and back, I got between 25-31 mpg. The 25 mpg tank was into a bad headwind and the 31 mpg tank was a little down hill for about 170 miles. All other tanks were 27-29 mpg. The car is getting better than the window sticker estimate of 18 city and 26 highway. I usually shift below 3K to keep the engine out of boost when driving around town, that helps alot.
Jim

My average is 23 mpg, mostly freeway work commute, and weekend canyon runs. I am sure altering my driving habits could yield an additional 1-2 mpg, but its so not worth it :)
Overall this car is more economical than i expected, given the performance.

Back