What is the purpose of a HUD?

My 2014 3 has a mini-HUD. I love it. When I enter an address into the navigation system, the HUD reminds me of upcoming turns.

you can adjust it up and down and brighten it or dim it. It is totally second nature with me kind of like when shooting a handgun, raise the weapon and see the front blade...:)
Yes, I had to adjust it up to not have it appear cut off at the bottom when I drive, but I still don't really notice it there. Always look at the speedometer in the cluster when I want to know my speed. I shoot pistols as well, but it just doesn't seem to "trigger" my brain the same way.

CX-5 HUD purpose is to annoy you that it can't display directions from android auto / car play
Yeah, I wish it showed the street name and direction for Android Auto like it does for the built in Nav. Still not the slightest bit tempted to endure the built in Nav instead. It's interface in unusable.

Yeah, I wish it showed the street name and direction for Android Auto like it does for the built in Nav. Still not the slightest bit tempted to endure the built in Nav instead. It's interface in unusable.
What's unusable about it?

Difficult to search or input destination. Non-intuitive, slow, many-step process to initiate. Voice commands not interpreted correctly.

With Android Auto I can say "navigate to (contact name)" and then accept and I'm on my way. Or do it on the go. I can also name any business, or say address, or search for something by category. I can tell it to navigate home and then ask for restaurants and it will list them according to how much time they add to my destination.

I have read that some have the AA/CP directions in the HUD. Don't know if this is on the newer 22/23 CX-5's?

it takes 2 seconds to tell AA/CP "navigate to starbucks" and it goes, and it takes forever to type that in and search into stock nav. It was tolerable in pervious CX-5 generation when they had touch screens, but typing with a dial is insanely slow

However I really appreciate built-in nav in places with no cell coverage

it takes 2 seconds to tell AA/CP "navigate to starbucks" and it goes, and it takes forever to type that in and search into stock nav. It was tolerable in pervious CX-5 generation when they had touch screens, but typing with a dial is insanely slow

However I really appreciate built-in nav in places with no cell coverage
It's supposed to allow voice input but I've never got it to work correctly.

It's supposed to allow voice input but I've never got it to work correctly.
I followed the manual and did all the voice-recognition training in my 2014 CX-5 and it never worked properly. Because of that experience, when I got my 2019 CX-5 I didn't waste my time setting it up.

Back