What have you done to your P5 today?

Thanks, exactly the info I was looking for. They don't seem that difficult to replace, though my car being a northern car that could mean the most simple job will take 5 hours because of locked up bolts.

Check out my recent thread as I just did this not too long ago....maybe it will help? I opted for the AZ LCA's given the sale price, free shipping and lifetime warranty including ball joints/bushings. I live in the NE and was able to get all bolts off with a breaker bar. I did spray everything down with PB Blaster about a week before I was going to do the job and then again a couple of days later and then again the night before. It smells nasty but it works great! As cheese said, get a pickle fork as well. Worked awesome for getting the ball joints removed. Took quite a few whacks to get my PS out but the DS slipped out after just a handful.

My advice is to have your floor jack handy when installing the new ones. I had a helluva time trying to get the bolt threaded through the rear bushing. Just jack it into place and should be able to line everything up nice and easy with some minor tweaks. Much better than holding it in place with one hand and trying to insert the bolt with the other and then reaching for your socket. lol

http://www.mazdas247.com/forum/showthread.php?123835282-Lower-Control-Arms-Dos-and-Donts&highlight=

Car enthusiast achievement unlocked - hand washed cars in the rain in winter
XcQQM5Z.jpg

Also, put some snazzy seat covers in the protege5. Does wonders for updating the interior.
mSvrEHD.jpg

bEVz9v3.jpg

Check out my recent thread as I just did this not too long ago....maybe it will help? I opted for the AZ LCA's given the sale price, free shipping and lifetime warranty including ball joints/bushings. I live in the NE and was able to get all bolts off with a breaker bar. I did spray everything down with PB Blaster about a week before I was going to do the job and then again a couple of days later and then again the night before. It smells nasty but it works great! As cheese said, get a pickle fork as well. Worked awesome for getting the ball joints removed. Took quite a few whacks to get my PS out but the DS slipped out after just a handful.

My advice is to have your floor jack handy when installing the new ones. I had a helluva time trying to get the bolt threaded through the rear bushing. Just jack it into place and should be able to line everything up nice and easy with some minor tweaks. Much better than holding it in place with one hand and trying to insert the bolt with the other and then reaching for your socket. lol

http://www.mazdas247.com/forum/showthread.php?123835282-Lower-Control-Arms-Dos-and-Donts&highlight=

this info will be a great help to me...thanks! I'll post some pictures in your thread when I do it.

Cleaned up my intercooler, the intercooler piping, cleaned up the oil pan and prepped it for it to get my oil return fitting welded sometime this week. Now I just need to clean the turbo. In the meantime, I'll start installing everything else. I can't wait!

I decided the 10 year old speakers sounded pretty bad to me, so replaced the front ones and got a new HU as well as the current one was crapping out. Much happier now.

unbolted some stuff to replace whole rear suspension

IMG-20131222-00363_zpsfec3b58c.jpg

simple reminder to spray the bolts for the next while to get the arms apart
IMG-20131222-00365_zps8033b40d.jpg

Ok, tonight was the worst night so far. Lately I've been hearing a slight creaking noise from the front driver side when I accelerate from a stop. I don't notice it at all if I'm already cruising and accelerate, but there is a little bit of road noise, so I just might not be hearing it. However, tonight I was turning right and it was much more noticeable. It wasn't gut wrenching, but I haven't heard it like that before. I was initially thinking a bushing somewhere was taking a dump, but now I'm beginning to think it's the CV joint. Should I take the time and check all the bushings under there or am I safe to assume it's the CV joint?

I just rotated my tires a few weeks ago and gave everything a quick check for tightness and I glanced at the CV boots and they looked ok and the ball joints look good. Also keep in mind that I usually hear it when it's below about 20*.

Installed better trunk lighting a few days ago, then yesterday/today retrofit a glovebox light & switch:

jR0ubpJwElqC9.JPG

jn48QGi6JB0x2.JPG

Ok, tonight was the worst night so far. Lately I've been hearing a slight creaking noise from the front driver side when I accelerate from a stop. I don't notice it at all if I'm already cruising and accelerate, but there is a little bit of road noise, so I just might not be hearing it. However, tonight I was turning right and it was much more noticeable. It wasn't gut wrenching, but I haven't heard it like that before. I was initially thinking a bushing somewhere was taking a dump, but now I'm beginning to think it's the CV joint. Should I take the time and check all the bushings under there or am I safe to assume it's the CV joint?

I just rotated my tires a few weeks ago and gave everything a quick check for tightness and I glanced at the CV boots and they looked ok and the ball joints look good. Also keep in mind that I usually hear it when it's below about 20*.

Ooof.. I have the same thing! From the front, from the back.. everywhere. Already have replacing all 4 motor mounts on my to-do list, but jesus all these little repairs are starting to add up a lot.

Also, I went to change out my low beams today. Turns out that the previous owners switched from H7 to H4 and just taped the bulbs in place. This explains why I'm able to illuminate a highway sign that's 75feet up and 75 feet over, but can't see more than 30ft in front of my car. Looks like I gotta find the light bulb adapters or.... I'm guessing the little clips that everyone talks about are broken and so I gotta figure out what to do.

well, seeing how shocks/struts are still out of production....looks like im going Coilovers. Crappy thing is, iv'e had these damn tein springs sitting for like 7 months now

Got the new brackets to put the Progress rear sway back on and a hand full of hardware to mount the GTSpec vbrace arms so all that is mounted up. Feels much better, noise free as well.
GTSpecVbrace.JPG

Last edited:
Sadly have started thinking about selling the p5 as of late, feeling a little Bavarian lately.

ive been feeling similarly about getting rid of my p5 for something else, but i think ill just keep running it until it wont run no more. i know it wont fetch a ton of money if i sold it :(

Back