What have you done to your P5 today?

3rd Day - Ridding the Car of DPO (Dreaded Previous Owner)

So today I thought the end of mechanical stuff would be in sight, but then, CEL with rough idle.

Oh well, back to that later, Go by a couple of salvage yards and pick up a rear door vent window to replace the duct taped piece of card board, a jack to replace the rusted one, a space saver spare to replace the one showing cord and a power mirror switch. The vent window goes in fairly easily, and every thing else is really easy, except the power mirror switch, which doesn't work. I take it apart and after two shots at cleaning the contacts, it works. Get the front sway bar links on, replace the plug wires, reset the CEL, 25 miles later it is back. Gonna have to go after the EGR and IAC next week. There is also a jingling/clunking sound coming the right rear over bumps which disappears when the brakes are applied, which hopefully will get sorted next week too.

Rear speakers, arrived, still haven't bought the fronts yet, probably get to that next week when I move on to getting the front bumper cover repaired, some of the door dings taken out and getting a small patch of rust on the hood taken care. Once all that's done it will be time to detail the thing, and then hopefully put a fork in it for a bit.

Can't wait till this car is squared away like the rest of my cars so there isn't a list of stuff to take care of. The battery in my daughter's Subaru kicked the bucket yesterday after 75 months on a 60 month battery. Took care of that problem first thing in the AM. Oh well, I suppose I was asking for it when I bought a car with a blown up motor...

What Did I Do??

hahahahahahhahahahaha i got some stuff a while back but never posted it lol

well heres a quick pic of all the stuff and the mods i did to the turbo today, u cant see it but i bought 2 new studs, 2 broke off the manifold, ordered head to mani gasket, mani to turbo gasket, and turbo to exhaust gasket from the stealership
cost me a grand total of 78 dollars gaskets and 6 dollars for the studs from autozone
well on to the pics:
turbo.jpg

all the parts
turbo1.jpg

all taped up and ready for sexyness!!
turbo2.jpg

self etching primer, the only stuff i had lol
turbo3.jpg

1200*F paint ready for some baking, YUMMY!!

Holy hell those are expensive!

EDIT: How hard was the install - it looks like a lot of wires based on their install instructions.

installation is easy as pie, and yes they are pretty expensive for a pair of light bulbs lol but WELL worth it if you ask anyone who has them

You've been doing one hell of a job man. If it'll help a bit, I've got my stock front speakers chillin in my basement in a box. If you'd like to pay shipping, they're all yours. :D

So today I thought the end of mechanical stuff would be in sight, but then, CEL with rough idle.

Oh well, back to that later, Go by a couple of salvage yards and pick up a rear door vent window to replace the duct taped piece of card board, a jack to replace the rusted one, a space saver spare to replace the one showing cord and a power mirror switch. The vent window goes in fairly easily, and every thing else is really easy, except the power mirror switch, which doesn't work. I take it apart and after two shots at cleaning the contacts, it works. Get the front sway bar links on, replace the plug wires, reset the CEL, 25 miles later it is back. Gonna have to go after the EGR and IAC next week. There is also a jingling/clunking sound coming the right rear over bumps which disappears when the brakes are applied, which hopefully will get sorted next week too.

Rear speakers, arrived, still haven't bought the fronts yet, probably get to that next week when I move on to getting the front bumper cover repaired, some of the door dings taken out and getting a small patch of rust on the hood taken care. Once all that's done it will be time to detail the thing, and then hopefully put a fork in it for a bit.

Can't wait till this car is squared away like the rest of my cars so there isn't a list of stuff to take care of. The battery in my daughter's Subaru kicked the bucket yesterday after 75 months on a 60 month battery. Took care of that problem first thing in the AM. Oh well, I suppose I was asking for it when I bought a car with a blown up motor...

lol yea i figured, but if it does that ill just use some of the aircraft paint remover i got and repaint it with 2000*F
i just got tired of looking at all the crap on the turbo that wouldnt wash off and only came off when i sanded it
looks good tho right? please say yes lol

EDIT: i got the last of the oil out of the turbo too during the baking, so at least this wasnt for nothing
u should have seen that thing smoking, smelt like garbage haha
cant wait to install all this stuff, my car drives like crap right now, clutch chatters, sway bar clunks, transmission sticks sometimes
ahh

Last edited:
You've been doing one hell of a job man. If it'll help a bit, I've got my stock front speakers chillin in my basement in a box. If you'd like to pay shipping, they're all yours. :D

Thanks for the words of encouragement and offer of the speakers. The stockers are what's in the car, but after having a bunch of the door panels off and on a few times, the sight of wizzer cones is really beginning to get to me as well as the mediocre sound.

Installed the roof rack for our new extra-large bike:
343426054_Kk6cq-L.jpg

The part under the back wheel telescopes out of the front part, so that this doesn't happen when I'm not hauling the tandem:
343426600_7mR5h-L.jpg

I got accepted by car sponsorships.com today
well the first part, they called me and all that good stuff
just have to finish my app and submit it, hopefully i get accepted

ill finally have some money to make my car look sweet

343426054_Kk6cq-L.jpg

nice work..but are you sure you are not showing off a new rim style on that rear wheel in this picture??? :p I think it looks good. I wish I had time to photoshop out the stock one behind it.

enjoy getting screwed lol

I suggest you look up carsponsorships.com on this site....its a crock...

They dont give you money..its a Joke.

, my car drives like crap right now, clutch chatters, sway bar clunks, transmission sticks sometimes
ahh
And you really think you can get sponsored for anything with this kind of description of your car.
Sorry man..not gonna happen.

a stock civic can get accepted into carsponserships.com.
Troof.

enjoy getting screwed lol

I suggest you look up carsponsorships.com on this site....its a crock...
Absolutely.

Did some realistic thinking today and came up with the conclusion that I shouldn't turbo the P5.

The mod bug has bit me a million times and I've been so close to starting to order parts but I've decided that I oughta be smart about it and just wait.

I'm in college so once I'm out and settled down, I should be able to eventually get a toy. Due to the lack of potential without spending big bucks on the P5, I have decided that I should just hold on to my money, save it so that I have a head start after college, and once it's time, buy an EVO VIII. I know, I know what you're thinking. "Blasphemy!" but honestly, I have always been in love with the car and I know that once it's time for me to look for a new car, it will probably be just that. For the money, I don't see anything with more of a presence, speed and handling than the EVO.

The P5 will never be traded in or sold unless someone decided to fork over a lot of cash. I know what the car could sell for right now, and even if I got lucky, it would still be too low after all the work I've put into it.

The P5 will be my little DD and I mean what would be better than having an EVO as the car you drive everywhere and a P5 you've had since you were 17 waiting to take its place if it's grounded for a few days?

Anyway, sorry about the rant, I just thought I should share.

Back