What have you done to your MSP today?

Ordered the Mishimoto Coolant reservoir, cause I'm in the middle of a complete coolant system overhaul.. I'm leaking coolant from my bypass elbow and waiting on a new one from Callaway, so I'm down. I'm waiting on a lot of other parts and why not. Gonna end up with Mishimoto sprayed on the FMIC I think..

Mishimoto Coolant reservoir

Mounting it with this

3" mounting-bracketl

With all new these

Samco Sport red silicone hose set 01-03 2.0L

And a new this, lol

Water-Return-Elbow-MSP10017010

Oh yeah.. and being as I am under the hood constantly, I am getting some hood struts and I'm done with the hood prop. Its gotta go.

Last edited:
Well cleaned the adhesive from the front bumper and from the trunk lid. The rear bumper was a different story the adhesive was much more dried out and I need something stronger then WD-40 to remove it. A/C clutch works, I ran a test lead from the battery it engaged no problem. know just waiting for a new drier and I will pull vac and recharge the system.

Where did you run to lead to on the ac compressor? I wanna check if mine is working before i fill her up with freon.

Dam, yeah he's gonna be killing all of us soon. Lol. Except maybe pope

I might make that kind of power down the road, but right now I'm shooting for 250-270 at the wheels with low boost and a stock bottom end. Once my spare engine is built and I swap the WRX injectors for something bigger we'll see.

Gonna end up with Mishimoto sprayed on the FMIC I think..

Don't spray the name of one manufacturer on a different brand of part, that's super hokey. Plus my philosophy on running names on my car is unless I'm getting free / reduced price parts there's no reason to give away free advertising.

Here's another way to think about it: As a manufacturer I would be super annoyed if someone welded up their own manifold and then put my emblem on it, or someone bought an ebay manifold and advertised it as one of mine.

If it is indeed a Mishimoto intercooler then do what makes you happy, but if it isn't save the paint and time.

Where did you run to lead to on the ac compressor? I wanna check if mine is working before i fill her up with freon.
With the A/C on you have to connect the line coming from the compressor to positive batt terminal. You can hear it click with the car in the on position. I also did the same with the car running just long enough to make sure the compressor wasn't bad.

Not real risky, he said he was going to run low boost.
He has intake huge upgraded smic DP exhaust and running a piggyback ecu. All that is going to free a lot of power without having to up the boost over the safety of 10psi

Not real risky, he said he was going to run low boost.
He has intake huge upgraded smic DP exhaust and running a piggyback ecu. All that is going to free a lot of power without having to up the boost over the safety of 10psi
That's true, that should give me some hope then. After the exhaust mani ill prolly be at 220hp or so with no tune.

I just can't get "into" the Mx-5's.. I totally get the whole RWD thing.. but they are just so slow.. I will probably catch hell for this, but if I ever look for a RWD car, I think I would look for a Nissan.. IDK though. The only RWD car I've ever owned was a Mustang..

Drifting takes an already ridiculously expensive hobby and then gets even worse with all the tires, bumpers, wrecking.. etc. IDK. I guess I just need more money. lol

You're not obligated to drift a rear wheel drive vehicle, so that shouldn't be a concern. The handling dynamics are incredibly different. While they both handle great, the MSP and 8 handling characteristics are incredibly different. The Miata isn't designed to be "fast" in the traditional sense and neither is my 8. It's all about it's ability to handle a turn from beginning to end. The MSP, for example, takes a bunch of effort to maintain lines and speed while on the Dragon, whereas the 8 flows faster- fast is smooth and smooth is fast. Sure, a lot of that is due to the fact I'm probably doubling the WHP and an open differential trans, but ultimately, it's because it's FWD. I've never driven an AWD car the way I drive my cars, because I've never owned one, but my friend couldn't keep up with me in the twisties this weekend in her WRX- coilovers, chassis brace, full exhaust. Not only that, but that WRX (automatic) can't even hang with my 8 on the highway. The handling characteristics is why I own the cars I do, not for WOT, straight highway pulls. For that, I'd go a large displacement domestic.

I'd really like to have a Miata and my plan is, if I get one, to boost it. I do like speed and the bike allows for that. I can't, for the money, have a car that will come anywhere near a bike in acceleration and top speed. And the Jeep, it's what I used to be into a long, long time ago. I've owned 10 Jeeps, 9 of which were CJs, and I'd like to have another. I don't wheel as aggressively as I drive and other than one roll-over, wheeling wasn't expensive other than tires and initial expenses to get it trail ready.

These are things I'm still contemplating, but the decision has been made that the MSP is moving on to a new owner.

Good thing we took the wing off and the lip. illanoizetv uploadfromtaptalk1435762831809.jpg

You're not obligated to drift a rear wheel drive vehicle, so that shouldn't be a concern. The handling dynamics are incredibly different. While they both handle great, the MSP and 8 handling characteristics are incredibly different. The Miata isn't designed to be "fast" in the traditional sense and neither is my 8. It's all about it's ability to handle a turn from beginning to end. The MSP, for example, takes a bunch of effort to maintain lines and speed while on the Dragon, whereas the 8 flows faster- fast is smooth and smooth is fast. Sure, a lot of that is due to the fact I'm probably doubling the WHP and an open differential trans, but ultimately, it's because it's FWD. I've never driven an AWD car the way I drive my cars, because I've never owned one, but my friend couldn't keep up with me in the twisties this weekend in her WRX- coilovers, chassis brace, full exhaust. Not only that, but that WRX (automatic) can't even hang with my 8 on the highway. The handling characteristics is why I own the cars I do, not for WOT, straight highway pulls. For that, I'd go a large displacement domestic.

I'd really like to have a Miata and my plan is, if I get one, to boost it. I do like speed and the bike allows for that. I can't, for the money, have a car that will come anywhere near a bike in acceleration and top speed. And the Jeep, it's what I used to be into a long, long time ago. I've owned 10 Jeeps, 9 of which were CJs, and I'd like to have another. I don't wheel as aggressively as I drive and other than one roll-over, wheeling wasn't expensive other than tires and initial expenses to get it trail ready.

These are things I'm still contemplating, but the decision has been made that the MSP is moving on to a new owner.

I did an NA build on my 94 R model and then had a supercharged '90 for a while. Boost was better for most driving, but even with the same suspension (custom valved Konis and ground control sleeves) the NA car was quite a bit better on the autocross course due to the better balance and smoother power. I'm looking forward to buying a used ND Miata when they're about 10 years old. The timing will work nicely as by then my daughters will be starting to drive themselves around.

Yes on hwy 50

Dang! Are you okay? Which car?

I spent a few minutes tinkering with the tune on the car. The car is taking 10% more fuel than stock at idle and light cruise. I haven't explored the loud pedal much, but it breaks traction at 30 mph in second with half throttle. I don't know that I'll hit 250+ whp with 10 psi, but it certainly feels possible.

is that stock turbo pope? my goals for the p5 are kinda similar.

No, it's a disco potato, but it won't make much difference at 10psi. It won't really come into play until I up the boost down the road.

Finally.. fixed my slow oil leak. It was coming from more than one place. replaced those valve cover bolt seals and still had oil.. it was the cap. The rubber is too old. Got a billet FSDET cap for now and it works.. now I just need my hose kit and water elbow and I am good for now.. I'm gonna drive it in a few even with the little coolant leak. just up to the store. I need some Ptshhhh... its been a couple days. lol

Just ordered a new water return elbow and fsdet aluminum oil cap as well. My original water return elbow is on the verge of leaking and I think the rubber gasket in my oil cap is old and may possibly be leaking.

Some guy on a protege FB page said there is an alternative to the water elbow.. he said most NA guys do it when converting to turbo setups. Have no idea what fittings / hardware is used though.. and I am 'search' retarded for some reason. I'd like to know so I don't spend $45 on a 6" hose again. lol

Some guy on a protege FB page said there is an alternative to the water elbow.. he said most NA guys do it when converting to turbo setups. Have no idea what fittings / hardware is used though.. and I am 'search' retarded for some reason. I'd like to know so I don't spend $45 on a 6" hose again. lol
Theoretically speaking, the new hose should last you another 100,000 miles though. At least for mine I don't think it was ever replaced before and I'm at 134k miles now.

Back