What have you done to your MSP today?

How has the larger tire size affected the car with 225/45/17 or is it pretty negligable?
I guess 225s out of the question struts?

No, 17's. But still damn wide. Where's he at? He can chime in here. I may have to send him a PM.

How has the larger tire size affected the car with 225/45/17 or is it pretty negligable?
I guess 225s out of the question struts?

Speedo is slightly off. I'm on ksport RR coils so I couldn't tell you if stock struts would allow. Although I think when I went to Ohio for autox Marlon borrowed me some wheels and tires and I think they were 225s.

Corey IS running those fat bastards on 17 inchers with a +22 offset or something. No fender liners.

Speedo is slightly off. I'm on ksport RR coils so I couldn't tell you if stock struts would allow. Although I think when I went to Ohio for autox Marlon borrowed me some wheels and tires and I think they were 225s.

Corey IS running those fat bastards on 17 inchers with a +22 offset or something. No fender liners.

Yeah, they were 225/45/17 Kumho V710's

Yep :) 255 on 17x9 +22 front and 225 17x7.5 +48 rear. The guy I race in my class runs a 275 front and 225-215 rear on his little Civic.

Hell, when I ran 235/40/17's I had just barely cleared the strut and that is with some serious neg camber............

Yep :) 255 on 17x9 +22 front and 225 17x7.5 +48 rear. The guy I race in my class runs a 275 front and 225-215 rear on his little Civic.

Aaah damn, I was wrong. I could have sworn they were 275. Maybe I was thinking of that Civic.

I've only seen a few guys go wider than a 255 on a fwd car. 255 is a odd ball size too. Most run 225-245.

Refinished my rims, sprayed them Hyper Silver and doubled up on the clear coat
10155697_511752562269071_2016019730_n.jpg

Started to do wheel bearing job on the evilmonkey and found this.
image.jpg
Broken front end link.
Any chance that this could be what was making the noise that I thought was a wheel bearing?

is it a clunking noise?
Yes there was a clunking noise at low speed over bumps so that was it.
But I also had speed dependent growling noise that got worse in turns.
Wondering if the swaybar was making contact w/ subframe and I was picking up road noise through body. With one end of the bar loose it would unwind and make contact w/ car. Link fixed now.
I suppose a road test would confirm if it's fixed. Duh. I'll get to that real soon. ;)

Is that a stock link on lowered car? In which case no wonder its broken. Need adjustables if lowering car.
Awr makes a kit for this car or you can go the mcmaster route.

Yes there was a clunking noise at low speed over bumps so that was it.
But I also had speed dependent growling noise that got worse in turns.
Wondering if the swaybar was making contact w/ subframe and I was picking up road noise through body. With one end of the bar loose it would unwind and make contact w/ car. Link fixed now.
I suppose a road test would confirm if it's fixed. Duh. I'll get to that real soon. ;)
did you check your ball joints to see if they were busted. I ask because while getting much clutch redone i found ball joints, tie rod ends, sway bar links, ect. all ruined front and back. my car sounded like sonic the hedgehog losing all his gold rings when i hit bumps

Last edited:
Is that a stock link on lowered car? In which case no wonder its broken. Need adjustables if lowering car.
Awr makes a kit for this car or you can go the mcmaster route.

Hey Valk, the suspension was done by evilmonkey before I bought it. He did Tokico Illuminas and Tein S-Tech springs. If the Tein S have enough of a drop to require adjustable links then he didn't know that. It was on OEM links.

The Miata's that I am used to are compliant enough to digest an inch to 1.5" before there are problems with the links. Looking at this Protege, it looks like the drop isn't very much, but I would imagine that if it was too much it would push the bar down enough to contact the subframe (?) and snap the link. Does this happen much?

If it needs shorter links I think i'd take the aftermarket ones I just bought and cut them in half, and thread them for turnbuckles.

EDIT, looks like the link needs to be LONGER (?) for a lowered car?

Last edited:
Back