What have you done to your MSP today?

Maybe the front but the P5s didn't have seat back pockets and the P5 and sedan rear seats do not interchange. Those look like custom covered seats, probably a dealership job or it was done early in the car's life. Can't tell if the doors have been covered in leather as well.

Went to a meet last night and got into a couple friendly pulls with a modded 6th gen Golf GTI. He was alone and I had one passenger and on 11psi we were neck and neck, neither of us pulled one each other for both runs. He said he was running 18psi and making about 260-275 at the crank... Seemed like a cool guy, he was either full of s*** or my car makes more power than I originally thought. I could tell he was surprised and a little disheartened when I popped the hood to show him it was just an MSP with the stock original drivetrain and turbo pushing 170k miles.
Gti's are about 3100lbs with 200hp stock. So your looking at about a 30hp to 300lbs ratio. I think our MSPs stock can keep up with that. Maybe even beat it in a quarter mile. But kudos on bringing the MSP cred up! Maybe he will think twice next time ;)

I kinda like the msp seats... i know a lot of people dont.. i wouldnt mind getting skins made one day as my cloth is getting pretty worn. maybe keep the two tone, but with closer greys in perforated leater/vinyl. that really is one of the very last things id ever do to it though.

today i actually started thinking of undoing all the work ive done to the p5 and putting it back to stock lol.. i figure in stock form i could get a few grand for it. easily enough to fix what was broken on the msp.. but then id not have a car during downtime and Id lose the convenience of a hatchback.. i dunno. being at the carshow with it kinda put into perspective.. msp gets attention bone stock, p5 with mods.. not so much.

I kinda like the msp seats... i know a lot of people dont.. i wouldnt mind getting skins made one day as my cloth is getting pretty worn. maybe keep the two tone, but with closer greys in perforated leater/vinyl. that really is one of the very last things id ever do to it though.

today i actually started thinking of undoing all the work ive done to the p5 and putting it back to stock lol.. i figure in stock form i could get a few grand for it. easily enough to fix what was broken on the msp.. but then id not have a car during downtime and Id lose the convenience of a hatchback.. i dunno. being at the carshow with it kinda put into perspective.. msp gets attention bone stock, p5 with mods.. not so much.
Agreed. [emoji106] What carshow did you attend?

vancouver island japanese car show. mark speed was there. impressively modified p5. didn't get any mentions lol. there were a few rediculous cars though.. couple 800 hp nissans, nsx's ect.

on the msp front.. its not really a big deal to fix whats broke.. mfactory lsd $1000.. get an exhaust for it and it could prob be done.. but 1/2 are so much lower in compression than 3/4 im pretty sure that could be an expensive problem. though.. being so up in these cars as i have been these past couple months i could just as easily drop the p5s whole drive train into the msp in a weekend.. but the more useful car ect.. meh. just lots of what if's in my head atm. i just dont have enough money to do a build it like to, and honestly im not even the kidn of car person who really cares about that stuff a ton. maybe i should just put it back to stock. lowered stock, but leave it be.

It sounds like you are kind of in crisis mode. Do what you want to do man.. whatever makes you the most happy. Don't worry about what people think at car shows.. unless you want a show car.. then maybe go with whatever is gonna give you the cleanest end result.

im actually seriously thinking royal purple killed that car... the cams look all worn and actually have flat spots on the lobes.. 140k and royal purple since 70km. the 315km engine has had dino its whole life. ive been using rotella t6 in it since i got it in september and it looks mint inside.. browned as you might expect a high milage car but no scratches on anything. the bottom looked very clean when i dropped the pan. wifes es is the same thing with 270km. i know her car went to the dealer ship its whol elife for all maint.. its disturbingly clean for the milage.
so what went wrong with me msp... i changed the oil every 5kish with royal purple 10/30. i run 15/40 rotella now.

meh. i guess engines are cheap. but my luck these days seems to be finding whole cars to rip engines out of ect lol. i DID get the two p5's for under $1500.
maybe ill open the 315km trans soon.. msp gearsets looked good when i had it all apart after the bearing failure, but who's to say the case isn't tweaked or something else from all that.

The car earned itself a wash and wax today. It feels good to have a clean car and has shot some excitement back into the project. At some point it just turned into work.

The kids and I took about a 25 mile ride in a friend's model T yesterday. I forgot how much fun a convertible is. I drove convertibles until my oldest was born and I had to get a real car. :( Even putting along is just so much more engaging when the top is down. If the MSP earns itself a permanent spot in the fleet, and I think it will, I'm chopping the roof off of it. A 35" x 40" ragtop could be in my future. I just have to drop the headliner to see how much support structure will be needed to maintain the integrity of the chassis.

The car earned itself a wash and wax today. It feels good to have a clean car and has shot some excitement back into the project. At some point it just turned into work.

The kids and I took about a 25 mile ride in a friend's model T yesterday. I forgot how much fun a convertible is. I drove convertibles until my oldest was born and I had to get a real car. :( Even putting along is just so much more engaging when the top is down. If the MSP earns itself a permanent spot in the fleet, and I think it will, I'm chopping the roof off of it. A 35" x 40" ragtop could be in my future. I just have to drop the headliner to see how much support structure will be needed to maintain the integrity of the chassis.
Holy crap bro. That'd be awesome. Wish someone can Photoshop it to envision it.

I did a little headlight restoration this morning. The lights were fogged and yellow. I started with a shot of bug spray and followed it with rubbing compound, then polishing compound, and a coat of wax. They look good, but not new. The next time I have the bumper off I'll pull them and give them a proper polish and coat of clear to protect them, but they're in good enough shape that it isn't a pressing need.

Oil change on the Unicorn motor. Up to 83k on the car and 243k on the motor. Drinks oil, but keeps on running.

look up the protege truck... heh. id say save a precious msp and get a miata... or a big lsx cruiser...or if you really wanna do this, do it to an es... slightly turbocharged...

I would have a miata again if I could get three kids in it. I've seriously considered an e36 m3 vert, but the back seat is hardly functional. The mustang has the same problem. The f bodies have more rear seat room but the shape of the seat eliminates running three across. For the next ten or so years the smallest thing I can drive is a four door sedan. I don't mind cutting the roof off the msp. It can't hurt it'd value since they're close to rock bottom anyway, and I'm much more likely to keep the car long term if my beard can blow in the wind. I would probably have more money in an es than I do in the Msp, plus all the hassle of moving parts around.

ahhh... there is nothing wrong with daddy having his toy... esp these older mazdas.. they are cheap to buy and own and prob insure where you are. an extra insurance everymonth to keep daddy happy going to work seems like small price to pay ha.

i only have one child but we have three cars.. some of you guys talking about paying $175/month of insurance or more... thats like.. $230 cdn? both our insured cars cost us.. $130/month cdn. but im not paying for colision ect.. no point with cars worth under $2500..
heck, even with higher value, all id be doing is financing a repair i might never need.. that i still have to pay a deductable for... insurance is a bloody scam.. protect yourself from being sued.. protecting the s*** is kinda like perpetually paying tax on it..

but... im not dropping $50k on cars or anything.. i suppose my outlook would be different, but after 10-15 years its still gonna be worth fk all.. i mean if it even lasts that long.. the way cars are built these days.

The issue with a toy car is that the kids are always with me. My wife drives about 45 min to work and my commute is only about 15 so I'm on pickup and drop off at my in laws house. I literally drove the Porsche once every six weeks.

Last edited:
Yea I get that..

Opposite for me.. 8minute commute to her 30. But she insisted on our childcare being the other side of town on her way to work.. sucks to be her heh. I would have hired someone up the street...
Mine starts school this sept.. makes most sense for.me to pickup/dropoff cause school very close to home and I get off earlier with shorter commute.. but she insists on doing that which means she won't have been on time for anyrhing the entire time our child has been alive lol..

I dunno maybe if she listened to me from time to time she could be punctual...

/rant

Ps. Welcome to your exciting adventure illnoise!

Last edited:
Yea I get that..

Opposite for me.. 8minute commute to her 30. But she insisted on our childcare being the other side of town on her way to work.. sucks to be her heh. I would have hired someone up the street...
Mine starts school this sept.. makes most sense for.me to pickup/dropoff cause school very close to home and I get off earlier with shorter commute.. but she insists on doing that which means she won't have been on time for anyrhing the entire time our child has been alive lol..

I dunno maybe if she listened to me from time to time she could be punctual...

/rant

Ps. Welcome to your exciting adventure illnoise!
Lmao. Were ready for all what the future brings. Its funny because when I was younger I always wanted a large family. I was aiming for 3-4 kids but now Idk man. We only want 1, maybe 2 but that's a big maybe. Were not sure if well be able to even have any because of some personal health reasons. So well see. God is in control. For now we just want to enjoy the marriage, travel, etc. In 2-3 years were gonna start trying.

that's a rule my wife and i agreed on. ten vacations before kids! i don't have a problem with that haha

You should have a kid.. really nothing else in your life is important after you see them smile and call you daddy.
You can be poor as phuc but that will bring you a happiness that can't be quantified.

But more than 2... hawd damn no.. just... no.

Back