What have you done to your MS3 today?

Flat head Fords still confuse me. Where's the valves?

That's a small block Chevy in that roadster.
The valves in flathead are in the block next to the cylinders but facing up, not down. That's why they are called "F" heads.

hdrp_0511_22_z+flat_head_performance_guide+popup_pistons.jpg

I think I have 1 payment left. Bought new in 2007.

I think I leave all of you in the dust age-wise though.

Any guesses? Hint: this is my 16th car (not counting motorcycles...)

Perhaps, Rabbit. Perhaps.
But perhaps not too.
I'll just say that '57 was a good year for Chevy's and those that like them. :D

Oh, and more on the flathead thing... not that it has anything to do w/the MS3:
It's not working as an image so here's the URL

http://www.vanpeltsales.com/FH_web/...ics/Flathead_Engine_scalepic_1937-40_V860.jpg

Last edited:

And that's why they only produced 60hp in 1937. The later ones had a bit more, but compared to the efficiency of today's engines, they were simply not very efficient.
And since the cooling jackets were separated as well, each side of the block had its own radiator hose. They were still known to overheat.

They sound and look cool though. Nothing sounds like a flathead.

Last edited:

The valves in flathead are in the block next to the cylinders but facing up, not down. That's why they are called "F" heads.

Oh, no, that much I know. I was just thinking 'Old skool muscle' as Rotus said. And how traditional hot rods, which I love, that's what they'd use a lot back in the day. And then I thought about how much they confused me. But that makes more sense now.

Oh, no, that much I know. I was just thinking 'Old skool muscle' as Rotus said. And how traditional hot rods, which I love, that's what they'd use a lot back in the day. And then I thought about how much they confused me. But that makes more sense now.

Good. Yeah. Just think of your lawn mower engine and ya' got it!! They still make them that way.

Writing my cars.com ad as we speak. What the hell do I price my car at?
There are 16 within 250 miles of me. Only one Gen1 for sale in town. Also one Gen2.

The Gen1 in town is priced at $20,998 and it's a black '09 Sport with only 13k
The Gen2 in town is priced at $24,150 and it's a silver '11 Sport with only 2k.

The cheapest one within 250 miles is an '07 with 80k at $15,080.

So my '09 CWP Sport is worth what? $19,000? $19,500? $20,000?
The KBB value is $21,055 in "excellent" and $19,955 in "good" But I know (like anyone) that KBB means nothing...

HELP PLEASE!!

You don't give the mileage on yours, but I would guess that $19-20k is a good place to start.
KBB is a good place to start, but your right, it should only be used as a guide, especially when selling privately.

How many miles do you have?

That Gen1 looks overpriced to me even though it has low miles.

In my area there are 2 Gen1's and 2 Gen2's.
- Gen1 Sport, 60k miles - $16,995
- Gen1 GT, 47k miles - $18,927
- Gen2 #1, 26k miles - $20,995
- Gen2 #2, 14k miles - $19,995

Make others bring the price down, cuz thats whats gonna happen anyway. So start by asking nearer to the high value

I agree with this. Price at KBB value and then slash a couple thousand if necessary. That way the buyer thinks they are getting a good deal ;)

21,862 miles as of yesterday.

My original idea was to start at $20,000. I'm putting it in the local newspaper too and that gets expensive time after time if it doesn't sell right away...

Flat Heads are actually really cool imo. Ive worked on a few at my last job. 2 v8 flat head Fords, 2 4cyl Willys Jeep motors, and a couple 4cyl Ford tractors. Theyre pretty unique if have never seen one up close or apart before! Its a little change from the conventional push rod/rocker shaft motors you normally see.

Right, I'm gonna do that too. I sold my last car from an ad in the paper. It sold the day after I put it in. Had 10+ calls over the next week too.

I did that with my jeep with a CL ad before I bought my ms3... had prob 4 calls that same day, sold in less than a week.

Installed the forge bpv v1 freshly greased with blue spring no shims for now. I still need to drive around make sure I don't need to add a shim. Took the car around the block the bpv isn't as loud as I thought it would be. Which is no biggie I didn't want a real loud bpv anyways....

Spark plugs itv22 should be coming in next week!

Back