What have you done to your Miata today?

@bazooka joe Hmmm, still a bit confused though. If it is not needed for the stock horn then why is it there? This connector is part of the OEM wiring and within the same loom of the wire connected to the horn.

Not sure which horn I may go with next. I really like the sound of the Marco and it is a super easy install but this one was just shy of 2yo.

Okay, you did you install the horn? Usually aftermarket horns require a relay and that means an additional wire….if it’s in the stock loom maybe it’s the ground?

Yup, I installed it but last night I couldn't figure out what that connector was for. At first I thought the ground but both of the horns only had one spade for the connector and a screw. Thought this weird as no extra wires to screw the ground on.

You mentioning ground got me thinking.... I brought the Marco in to the office with me today and took another look at it. The bracket that failed was the OEM bracket which has the spade for the ground connection, mystery solved. Thank you! Now to source an OEM horn bracket.

Yup, I installed it but last night I couldn't figure out what that connector was for. At first I thought the ground but both of the horns only had one spade for the connector and a screw. Thought this weird as no extra wires to screw the ground on.

You mentioning ground got me thinking.... I brought the Marco in to the office with me today and took another look at it. The bracket that failed was the OEM bracket which has the spade for the ground connection, mystery solved. Thank you! Now to source an OEM horn bracket.
I have my OEM horn if you want it?

@bazooka joe You mean the bracket? If so, could you mail it? Hoping to get a new horn installed before the upcoming LRP trip. LMK and I can send you money for shipping and a few extra for your troubles.

If your horn doesn't have a separate ground connection then it is grounded through the mounting bracket.

I never installed a relay for any of the horns I've added.??

When is LRP? I thought it had already happened.

Replaced the LF wheel bearing. Wasn't too bad of a job once I saw the best youtube vid.

The purpose of relays is to allow a lower power circuit to operate a higher power circuit. In the case of the horn circuit the wires and switch contacts in the steering column are low power while the horn itself uses a lot of power. The relay input is controlled with very low power but the output contacts are capable of withstanding much higher amperage/power.
The event at LRP this weekend is that Sunday car show we have attended in the past.

I installed a relay on the NC with the Hella Sharptones. From what I have been reading though the relay is not needed on the ND as the Hellas don't draw enough amps? At least the way I read it but I am by no means an electrician. The Marco doesn't require a relay but does come with a 20a fuse to swap out the 15a fuse in the box.

Yeah, wish you could make it down Bruce!

Last edited:
I don’t recommend “upping” the amperage of fuses in circuits/wiring that is rated for a lower amperage. But for a short draw like a horn circuit it’s probably ok. Lighting, that’s another story!

Understood but those were the instructions as per Thompson Auto where I bought the horn from. IIRC it was the same when I bought the old Stebel Nautilus horn from them for my P5. I do agree though, not a good idea for a lot of things but the horn should be ok given it is used in short bursts.

New Marco Tornado arrived yesterday but now I am contemplating Hella Supertones or Sharptones. Found you can only buy the bracket from the dealer with a new lo horn for $52.70. A very wise man suggested that I make my own bracket which I might (might being the key word) be able to pull off. lol But the more I thought about it the more I wonder, will the weight/vibration have the same affect on the new bracket in ~2yrs. The Hellas can be mounted directly to the rad support eliminating any additional brackets.

Back