What have you done to your Mazda3 today?

I've had a busy weekend. I painted and installed a fujita f5 CAI, painted wired and installed some hella supertones, grounded my throttle body, did the timing advance mod and laid new lamin-x on my fog lights (2 layers this time). I even gave her a bath.

All in all I am extremely happy with how these light mods have changed the throttle response and mid-top end power of my car. Power delivery is much smoother and the hesitation and slight bucking under light/partial throttle is eliminated. It is much more responsive, it sounds better, and it drives like I want it to.

H&R coilovers should be delivered on monday so that should be next weekend's project if it is nice out.

What method did you use the paint the CAI? Mine is being shipped out right now, but I'd like to paint it because I don't like the silver polished finish.

The one I got was already painted red so I just sanded it with some 200 grit sandpaper then primed and painted it.

If you are getting a polished one just sand it until is is rough and unfinished looking then go to town with primer and spray paint.

After owning the car for 4 yrs... I went from

Plus this:

IMG_1181.jpg

Equals this:

IMG_1179.jpg

Lookin' Good, Rat!!
Are those MS coils/camber arms? It's a nice drop w/o being extreme. Once aligned, if not already, you will be much happier w/the handling.
May I also suggest the RB rear bar? (27mm) That will tame a lot of the understeer now present in the car w/o going too far and removing all of it.
I am running that setup now and for the street, see no need to go w/the front bar too. That would likely increase the understeer I'm trying to get rid of.

edit: WAIT!!! I DO see a red bar in there already!! Is that what you're running too?

Lookin' Good, Rat!!
Are those MS coils/camber arms? It's a nice drop w/o being extreme. Once aligned, if not already, you will be much happier w/the handling.
May I also suggest the RB rear bar? (27mm) That will tame a lot of the understeer now present in the car w/o going too far and removing all of it.
I am running that setup now and for the street, see no need to go w/the front bar too. That would likely increase the understeer I'm trying to get rid of.

edit: WAIT!!! I DO see a red bar in there already!! Is that what you're running too?

Thx for the complements! I wish I was running coils but alas no. I picked up the MS Sport springs and camber kit from a local member that was parting out his car. I'm going to wait a couple of days b4 I get an alignment done after every settles.
The rear bar is an eibach which is 26mm. I was running the front ones too but I had it removed as the bushing are really noisy in the colder weather up here in Canada. I did p/u a set of Prothane greaseable bushings which def quietened up the rear swaybar. Yes I could have kept the front eibach and installed the greaseable bushings in the front too but they are a real b**** to get to.
The car handles sooo much better and I like it :)

Removed the flat universals I had on the rear only (see my sig pic) and installed PowerFlow Pro Fit Splashguards front and rear for a more taylored look.
I will do some custom trimming to make them look a little better later on, but for now these are a big improvement... and a not expensive one either. (<$50/both sets included shipping.)
Damn Mazda for not making factory fit mud/splashguards available for the S series cars though.
While I was there, I pulled the all the calipers and rotors off to check everything since the install a few weeks ago, and cleaned everything I could around them, epecially the "yellows" but within reason.

IMG_2125.jpg

IMG_2124.jpg

IMG_2126.jpg

IMG_2127.jpg

Last edited:
Those look awesome, bbrich! I like the trailing black, but I can see from the rear one in the second pic why you're considering trimming them a bit. They don't really follow the contours as closely as they could. I second your cursing of Mazda for not making factory-fit splash guards for the 's' series.

Just removed the rear emblem from my trunk. What do you guys use to get rid of the adhesive left on the trunk?

Nevermind. Just used hot water and let it sit for a bit and scraped it off with a towel/my nails.

Last edited:
Those look awesome, bbrich! I like the trailing black, but I can see from the rear one in the second pic why you're considering trimming them a bit. They don't really follow the contours as closely as they could. I second your cursing of Mazda for not making factory-fit splash guards for the 's' series.

Thanks!! I really get tired of trying to keep the road tar and stone chips from those areas, and was really surprised how those others kept the backlight and rear bumper cleaner when driving in the rain. They are truly a practical mod. I have never been a big fan of mudflaps on sporty cars!!
The good news is that you don't really see that line normally. That shot was taken pretty low. I will raise the car up high again at some point and make some chalk marks as a guide and trim them a bit. 'Same with the top part where it meets the other body line, but I'm not sure just how yet. Some careful experimenting is required here.
(couch)

Razo shift nob. Just felt like spendin' thirty bucks on my car for some reason :p

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

oh. and bought a new 9006 pigtail fog light assembly. It broke on my right side fog now everyone thinks i'm trying to race them cuz they're yellow too. lol

Changed cabin air filter at 36k miles! Really not as bad as everyone makes it sound lol, thanks to davegutz recent how to! Took about an hour...
8-22 003.1.jpg
8-22 005.1.jpg
8-22 006.1.jpg

Got the rear dropped a little lower and I got her all clean and shined up nicely.

Yep. With less than 100 miles on it. I can't leave things alone so I don't know what kind of condition my warranty is in. LOL

haha! cool man! i cant wait to buy a car brand new some day :)

how many miles u got now?

Just turned 19k. The only bad part about buying new is car payments but you get used to it.

Back