What have you done to your CX-9 today?

Not sure where we share photos, but out just enjoying the evening
20230929_205233.jpg

One of my license plate LED bulbs started flickering, so I swapped them out for a couple of spare LEDs I had lying around. The spares weren't any better (one was dead and the other was flickering as well), so I just removed them for the time being. Time to look for a new pair..

20231002_191315.jpg

20231002_191635.jpg

I was looking at these for my 18 CX-5 (before upgrading to CX-9) since the rear rotors did not hold up well on them for some reason. I'll have to leave a note to ask you a year or so down the road to get an update on them.
It's been a year and somehow I remembered about this. What are you thoughts with the Z23 kit?

I will definitely be looking to "upgrade" the brakes when mine wear down.

It's been a year and somehow I remembered about this. What are you thoughts with the Z23 kit?

Let me go out and take a picture for you. The rotors themselves are perfectly fine so far, just a bit rusty, which I fully expected. I'll be taking a closer look at remaining pad life on the rears when I swap over to winter wheels (hopefully I don't forget to check), but so far, so good!

Thanks! Looks pretty typical after a winter in Canada.

Notice any more/less brake dust compared to OEM?

Yeah pretty much how the front rotors look as well (on non-contact areas).

As far as I can tell, brake dust is about the same as the OEM pads, which were pretty low dust in my experience. If there is a difference, it's too small either way for me to tell. And as far as performance, they seem to brake about the same in regular driving, with a bit more bite during an emergency stop.

I bought this kit from rockauto at a fraction of what the dealer wanted and did it myself.

If you're not sure about doing it yourself, watch a few videos and get to it-- really one of the easiest things to do.

The kit has good bite and after about 3-4 months of use so far, no issues whatsoever. A perfect fit.
As smike mentioned, it's about the same dust. For me it's definitely biting better at all speeds. Emergency braking is definitely biting harder.

You won't regret it, it's a good buy.

The rotors seem significantly heavier/ beefier on the Z23 than stock.

Been tied up for the past 6 months, so haven't done much to the 9, but.....

In late April had the master cylinder replaced. Then in late May had the ABS module & left outer tie rod replaced, brake fluid flushed & 4 wheel alignment done.

Good like new'ish. 👍

I bought this kit from rockauto at a fraction of what the dealer wanted and did it myself.

If you're not sure about doing it yourself, watch a few videos and get to it-- really one of the easiest things to do.

The kit has good bite and after about 3-4 months of use so far, no issues whatsoever. A perfect fit.
As smike mentioned, it's about the same dust. For me it's definitely biting better at all speeds. Emergency braking is definitely biting harder.

You won't regret it, it's a good buy.

The rotors seem significantly heavier/ beefier on the Z23 than stock.
I'm only at 22,000 km on the odo at the moment and plenty of life left on the pads. It's only been one winter so far with it so the rotors are still in pretty good shape (at least visually, and no noticeable vibrations under braking).

Will take the Z23 in consideration, but I'm not the biggest fan of the slotted/drilled rotors (as I have my personal opinions on this from a daily driver perspective) so may go Raybestos or Centric. Unless you or sm1ke can talk me into the PowerStop rotors?

Speaking for myself, admittedly the only reason I got the Powerstop kit was the price and the aesthetic. They do bite a bit better, but that is likely just due to the pad/rotor combination. So far, no signs of cracks in the rotors, but I will eat my words if they do happen to crack and explode (knock on wood).

Raybestos or Centric are tried and true, and would likely pair best with their respective pads. If you don't care about the look, I'd say just go with those. (y)

They would probably provide the same, or likely better, improvement in braking performance and durability.

Replacement license plate bulbs came in the mail yesterday, so I popped those in. Also replaced the flickering reverse light LED bulb. Hopefully good to go for another 5 years.

Back