What have you done to your CX-9 today?

Went out for some 0-60 runs after fixing the user error on the JB4. 7.8 seconds stock on map0. Map2 was a bit faster

0BC389D8-44BF-46DA-BDA4-A8B436B13273.jpeg

Went out for some 0-60 runs after fixing the user error on the JB4. 7.8 seconds stock on map0. Map2 was a bit faster

View attachment 310350
thanks for all the info man, really appreciate it. i also come from the BMW world of MHD , burger jb4 tunes. if you can, can you please make a 0-60 or 80 vid of the cluster to see how the power band is over our dead 4k+ haha.

thanks for all the info man, really appreciate it. i also come from the BMW world of MHD , burger jb4 tunes. if you can, can you please make a 0-60 or 80 vid of the cluster to see how the power band is over our dead 4k+ haha.
Sure. Don’t know exactly when I can do that, but I’ll try it. Have you seen the dyno run of a CX-9?

Edit: had a chance this morning. Not ideal conditions as it was wet and it was a slight turn onto the road. No other cars there though so I thought I’d give it a go

Last edited:
Sure. Don’t know exactly when I can do that, but I’ll try it. Have you seen the dyno run of a CX-9?

Edit: had a chance this morning. Not ideal conditions as it was wet and it was a slight turn onto the road. No other cars there though so I thought I’d give it a go

View attachment 310355
Thanks for the upload. I'll go check the Dyno also.

Nice! Any more 0-60 times done lately for consistency testing? 93 octane I assume..
Yeah. In the mornings, it’s 6.4 to 6.7. Afternoon it’s just under 7 usually unless it’s a triple digit day. Temps have been mid to high 70s in the morning and mid to high 90s in the afternoon

Yeah. In the mornings, it’s 6.4 to 6.7. Afternoon it’s just under 7 usually unless it’s a triple digit day. Temps have been mid to high 70s in the morning and mid to high 90s in the afternoon

Have you noticed any weird behaviour from the car with the JB4? Stuff like weird transmission shifts, jerky acceleration, anything like that? It's been fairly quiet on the Mazda JB4 boards (which I view as a good thing).

I really need to install my JB4 already, lol.

Have you noticed any weird behaviour from the car with the JB4? Stuff like weird transmission shifts, jerky acceleration, anything like that? It's been fairly quiet on the Mazda JB4 boards (which I view as a good thing).

You should install it. It would be really fast if you remove that plastic panel. Use a panel removal tool to pop it off.

Occasionally there seems to be pulsing RPMs from 2300-2500 but it isn’t noticeable unless you are watching for it

When I just got the car, the first 4-6 months after it was broken in, the 0-60 times were between 6.9-7.1 consistently. Similar to the zeroto60times website and reported by other vehicle reviewers.
Took it in for an oil change at the dealer and they took it upon themselves to do an 'update' as the software was from the factory and already outdated.

As soon as I took the car out on the highway to get home it felt different (slower). I then ran the 0-60 tests again, keeping everything else consistent (same road, same temps, same gas etc) and the 0-60 times were now consistently 8.0-8.2 seconds. Important to note I'm not carrying extra Covid weight....

Asked the dealer, got a bunch of head scratching...... Been that way ever since.

Sooooo eeeet. Heck, give it to me then ;)

When I just got the car, the first 4-6 months after it was broken in, the 0-60 times were between 6.9-7.1 consistently. Similar to the zeroto60times website and reported by other vehicle reviewers.
Took it in for an oil change at the dealer and they took it upon themselves to do an 'update' as the software was from the factory and already outdated.

As soon as I took the car out on the highway to get home it felt different (slower). I then ran the 0-60 tests again, keeping everything else consistent (same road, same temps, same gas etc) and the 0-60 times were now consistently 8.0-8.2 seconds. Important to note I'm not carrying extra Covid weight....

Asked the dealer, got a bunch of head scratching...... Been that way ever since.

Yeah, my CX-9 seems to run on the slower side as well, closer to 7.7s 0-100km compared to the 7.1 posted by many publications, but that was when I had winter tires on too. Have you tried running the 0-60 again lately, to see if anything has changed?

Dooooo eeeet. Heck, give it to me then ;)

Lol no way, I scored a great deal on mine! I'd be kicking myself if I didn't install it and use it before passing it on to someone else, haha. There's a few things for me to do before installing the JB4 - oil change, then spark plug replacement, then CS intake reinstallation. I could probably knock all of that out in an afternoon, I just haven't had the time lately. Maybe Monday next week..

Nice, beat me to it. I also want to do something like this but havent found the time.

What did you use and what was your procedure on doing everything if you dont mind me asking?
Did you just cut the factory reflector and add an LED strip?
When you remove the reflector, there is a hole in the bumper already. I used a Dremel engraving bit and enlarged that hole and then used the same bit to cut away the red plastic behind the opaque red reflective plastic in the same area as the bumper hole. Mounted a Diode Dynamics SSC1 flush mount in the flood pattern behind the bumper and reattached the reflector. Rigid Industries makes a similar light to the SSC1 that I have mounted as hatch lights. It is their flush mount backup light kit. Baja Designs has their flush mount S1s that would work. KC has their small Flex series although I’ve never seen them flush mounted so I don’t know if they can be. Generally speaking, Diode Dynamics has the best light output and are not as well known as the other companies so don’t cost as much. If you have particular loyalty to a brand though, those would be your options

When you remove the reflector, there is a hole in the bumper already. I used a Dremel engraving bit and enlarged that hole and then used the same bit to cut away the red plastic behind the opaque red reflective plastic in the same area as the bumper hole. Mounted a Diode Dynamics SSC1 flush mount in the flood pattern behind the bumper and reattached the reflector. Rigid Industries makes a similar light to the SSC1 that I have mounted as hatch lights. It is their flush mount backup light kit. Baja Designs has their flush mount S1s that would work. KC has their small Flex series although I’ve never seen them flush mounted so I don’t know if they can be. Generally speaking, Diode Dynamics has the best light output and are not as well known as the other companies so don’t cost as much. If you have particular loyalty to a brand though, those would be your options
4F127A2F-6293-4A8A-B166-7450B567E009.jpeg

Looks pretty cool. I might give it a try. It gives the CX-9 a JDM look. I they have so many options for the smaller CX products, but nothing for the big ol CX-9. I know in some of the Russian reviews I’ve seen on YouTube the CX-9s over there have a rear fog light right underneath the rear bumper. I don’t understand them but they put the CX-9 though things the Americans don’t and it’s fun to watch.

How did you wire it up, just tapped into parking lights?

Last edited:
How did you wire it up, just tapped into parking lights?
They aren’t wired yet. Had a minute where I wasn’t working on house projects so went ahead and mounted them. I need to get it up in the air and run the wire to the front. They have a backlight and a main light. I already have my front fog lights tapped into DRLs for the backlight so I’ll piggyback off those for main beam and backlight. They’ll be controlled via the collar on the stalk just like the fronts

They aren’t wired yet. Had a minute where I wasn’t working on house projects so went ahead and mounted them. I need to get it up in the air and run the wire to the front. They have a backlight and a main light. I already have my front fog lights tapped into DRLs for the backlight so I’ll piggyback off those for main beam and backlight. They’ll be controlled via the collar on the stalk just like the fronts
That’s pretty awesome. I like lights so it’s intriguing to me. Haha. Please show the outcome. I’d really like to see how’s it looks.

What did you do to the fog lights? Did you replace the whole thing with the diode dynamics pod?

What did you do to the fog lights? Did you replace the whole thing with the diode dynamics pod?
Yep! Somewhere in my build thread I have pictures of the brackets I 3D printed to hold the DD SSC1 in an SAE fog light pattern.

My wife has a hard time seeing at night or in adverse conditions and I hate being blinded by oncoming drivers so vehicle lighting has become a passion of mine. I want the brightest and most functional lights I can get while still adhering to the laws and not causing issues for other drivers. There’s a guy over on the TacomaWorld forum that is a vehicle lighting engineer and does independent tests of just about every aftermarket pod and light bar available (ignoring all the cheap Amazon specials) so whenever I am looking for a new type of light, I just hop over and read through his objective reviews. I have a drawer full of lights I’ve bought over the years that are going to go on my CX-9 in one place or another once I get this dang patio done 😆

Latest posts

Back