What have you done to your CX-5 today?

Added oem black mirror caps to my white 17. These are not just plain black. They match the black oem paint so there are metallic flakes in it. Just popped off the old cap and slapped these in. Took 10 minutes.

IMG_6636.jpeg
IMG_6638.jpeg
IMG_6641.jpeg
IMG_6640.jpeg
IMG_6637.jpeg
IMG_6639.jpeg

Installed KAHTEC Blinking Smart Stop “Delay” Version for 3rd brake light. Way easier to tackle versus past posts I read. All you have to do is pop off top panel of rear hatch and access two wire connection (Green is VDC and White is GND). Disconnect connector so you don’t have to disconnect main battery negative terminal. Too easy!

Attachments

• AA8F7020-8E69-4D7D-9871-93EF6ED65198.jpeg
    AA8F7020-8E69-4D7D-9871-93EF6ED65198.jpeg
    102.7 KB · Views: 142
  • 57FB0F4D-8849-46CD-8839-53BB4EF861E5.gif
    57FB0F4D-8849-46CD-8839-53BB4EF861E5.gif
    8 KB · Views: 138
Got my cx-5 back today. Very pleased with their work and attention to detail. $4950 total + rental car for 2 weeks to the other driver’s insurance. I will say, State Farm was a pleasure to deal with and they weren’t even my insurance company.

240E6D76-40DD-4524-9C79-BAD43DF6E503.jpeg

Got my cx-5 back today. Very pleased with their work and attention to detail. $4950 total + rental car for 2 weeks to the other driver’s insurance. I will say, State Farm was a pleasure to deal with and they weren’t even my insurance company.

View attachment 300550
(y)

And looks like the body shop of your Mazda dealer did a great job! And I’m sure they used OEM doors and quarter window glass which is nice.

I am so through with non-oem parts. Never again. Almost all aftermarket parts are Chinese now, and they are nearly universally garbage.

If you're broke and just have to go cheap, I get it. But whatever you do, never, ever buy a non-OEM sensor. You're just asking for trouble if you do.

I am so through with non-oem parts. Never again. Almost all aftermarket parts are Chinese now, and they are nearly universally garbage.

If you're broke and just have to go cheap, I get it. But whatever you do, never, ever buy a non-OEM sensor. You're just asking for trouble if you do.

normally I'm with you, but for my older cars sometimes aftermarket is the only thing available.

I used to always do OEM Honda parts for my Integra when I did timing belt and water pump replacement. This last time I used known quality aftermarket brands (some of them actually made in Japan), and the parts cost less than half of new OEM.

But on my Miata I've tried 2 different aftermarket valve cover gaskets, and both have leaked. This next time I'm doing OEM Mazda for sure.

My son's truck is a 94 F150. The original MAP sensor went bad after 22 years. A new Motorcraft one was $90, the BWD from Advance was $39 with a lifetime warranty. "Hell yeah!" I thought. Mistake.

9 months later, the BWD went bad, replaced it free under warranty. 9 months later, that one went bad, replaced under warranty. 13 months later, THAT one went bad, replaced under warranty. At this point, they no longer had the BWD, so they gave me that money towards a Motorcraft. Not a single problem in the couple years since.

My son's truck is a 94 F150. The original MAP sensor went bad after 22 years. A new Motorcraft one was $90, the BWD from Advance was $39 with a lifetime warranty. "Hell yeah!" I thought. Mistake.

9 months later, the BWD went bad, replaced it free under warranty. 9 months later, that one went bad, replaced under warranty. 13 months later, THAT one went bad, replaced under warranty. At this point, they no longer had the BWD, so they gave me that money towards a Motorcraft. Not a single problem in the couple years since.
I’ve learned lesson from past experience similar to yours long time ago. And I use OEM parts as much as I can including oil and air filters, until they’re no longer available as I keep my vehicles as long as I can. I even got an OEM battery for my CX-5 last October even though it isn’t the same factory Panasonic battery. The only exception is the cabin air filter which is not an important part to me. Or if the saving on after-market cabin air filter is huge (i.e. $15 to $53 on cabin air filter for my 2018 Toyota Yaris iA).

Since I always try to DIY, I want to get the best available (OEM) parts even though they’re more expensive. My own labor time saved is worth more than the extra money I paid for the best quality parts.

Took it in for the first oil change yesterday at 1,500 miles (free oil change). Service mgr was very helpful and considerate, very pleasant experience. He also updated the infotainment system to 11026 as a courtesy, no charge. Offered to wash my car but i just finished adding ceramic coating to the paint and it needed to sit a couple of weeks before washing. Asked him about adding an oil catch can - he thought it was a good idea and they would still cover any engine warranty issues. Said he hadn't seen one on a CX-5 yet but lots of Miatas with them.

Since we got the car I have added:
- Clear PPF on the front end, full hood, front fenders, mirrors, top of roof in front of the moonroof, A pillars, top of rear bumper to reduce scratches when loading trunk
- Black PPF on the B and C pillars.
- Body side trim to minimize door dings,
- CX-5 illuminated door sills (touch of class)
- Hood struts (really like these) so no messing around with the hood support rod and they open the hood higher
- Nav card
- Ceramic coat on paint and wheels

Considering some other accessories/projects over the next several months like interior LED lighting kit, oil catch can, magnetic drain plug by next oil change in 6 mos, more storage containers for the rear hatch organization, all season floor mats, better tires (wider, better grip). Stuff to keep me busy for a little while.I'm sure i'll add to the list as we live with the car more.

First big road trip Friday. Driving to Santa Fe, NM and Pagosa Springs, CO for a couple of weeks. I'm sure we'll get some more ideas on that trip. Maybe need some fly rod holders or something like that.

He also updated the infotainment system to 11026 as a courtesy, no charge.
Not to discount how nice he was, just to throw this out there to everyone - 3 yr warranty will include infotainment updates. At least that's what my service advisor said - had mine done at the time of the tail gate bulletin fix.

Not to discount how nice he was, just to throw this out there to everyone - 3 yr warranty will include infotainment updates. At least that's what my service advisor said - had mine done at the time of the tail gate bulletin fix.
Someone posted elsewhere that his dealer billed labor for doing this as it wasn't a "maintenance" repair, rather an optional software update. And I didn't ask if all updates are covered. Maybe dealers have some descretion on this?

dang Klasse is old school! I still have a bottle of HGSG and AIO sealant. But that's old-school tech. Newer coatings and sealants look and perform better. My bottles are probably 17+ years old, not sure if still any good or not.

I restored my ‘13 headlights using the Meguiars heavy duty kit. It took about an hour and the results were really good. My headlights weren’t too bad but they were starting to yellow and had some pitting along the top portions. You have to apply the sealant pretty quickly though. I applied the sealant to one light and waited about a minute before I moved on to the other. The sealant had already started to dry on the applicator and caused the second headlight to start drying with a haze. I buffed it all off the second light and had to reapply the sealant with a new clean applicator. Both are as good as new and curing now.

Back