What have you done to your CX-5 today?

What kind material is used in it? is it very flat? I brought one bumper guard from ebay for $50 bulks and it is made of steal and 3m tapes. It does not fully attached to the car. Waste of money, I will remove it this week.

It's stainless steel and 3m tape as well. It is fairly flat too, but has no issues attaching to the car. the fitment is actually pretty perfect. I'm really happy with it.

Did some great improvements to my CX-5 this week!

Installed Pioneer 4100NEX head unit.
3.5" polk db351s in the dash.
6.5" polk db651s in the front/rear doors.
100watt/8" Powered Bazooka Tube sub in the trunk. I am really impressed with the bass this thing puts out.

I'll be buying some sound-dampening material this week. The trunk rattles a little too much for my liking now. I mounted the sub to the plastic sloped side of the trunk, since I didnt want to screw it into the floorboards with the OEM rubber mat installed.

Did my first wax on my CX-5 today. Took me about 2hrs for wash, dry, wax, clean all the plastic trim, and tires.
TXyXppX.jpg

RcQgeLR.jpg

There was a couple small wax spots in the pic that I wiped up when i got home. I did it inside at work and lighting was poor so I couldn't see it all.

Fire fighter? Nvm, must be EMT or paramedic.

Damn, I knew that. So here we have it. That much of additional gunk would have gone through the intake valves. I really hope that Mazda's high-temp self-cleaning technique works, particularly with short trips...
I'm getting the catch can too. Although my sequential two catch cans setup gets about three times that of condensate in Tahoe, even this small amount is upsetting, providing that there is a built-in separator in CX-5. I wonder how much of the vapor that you haven't caught still ended up in the intake.

I'll let it sit for a while, and see how it separates. Definitely oil in there, but not sure how much is water.

In any case, it's all gas/oil bi-products. I haven't used any type of intake cleaner or thing like that.

That's what worrisome. Those by-products have ruined countless DI engines, even non-DI, just look at GM 's 5.3L. Hope Mazda fairs better then VW, BMW, etc. My wife's short trips do not provide too much of valve-heating, I'd guess, particularly during cold winter days. Oh well, we'll see.

Today I Plasti Dipped the badges

Not a fan of plastidip, but I have to say the black/red combo is the best I've seen to date. Suggestion: ditch the SkyActive badge on the right which is no doubt no longer readable anyway and move the AWD letters to replace it.

Did you remove the emblems completely or just tape off? Job looks really good. If you just taped em off what did you use to trim the excess?

Thanks! I read through this guide before hand, and simply taped off + newspaper. I was surprised to find the material actually breaks pretty evenly at the seam with the badge. The areas that needed extra help I did with a toothpick. $6 for the can of Plasti Dip and about 90min worth of labor and waiting

Not a fan of plastidip, but I have to say the black/red combo is the best I've seen to date. Suggestion: ditch the SkyActive badge on the right which is no doubt no longer readable anyway and move the AWD letters to replace it.

It is still readable.
8S82s1U.jpg

It's a little dirty right now with pollen season.

What can be done, which I thought about doing is taking a toothpick to the letters and peeling the plasti-dip off them. This way its two tone, but still dark and easier to read the logo if you want it more legible.

Last edited:
So for someone who's never used Plastikote before, is that the trim paint you used? Is there any special prep required to paint on plated plastic? I'm thinking I might like to try it on the top piano black portion of my 2013's grill.

So for someone who's never used Plastikote before, is that the trim paint you used? Is there any special prep required to paint on plated plastic? I'm thinking I might like to try it on the top piano black portion of my 2013's grill.

It's plasti-dip. For prep I suggest washing it real good with soap and water, than dry. What I like to do after that is wipe it down with a alcohol prep and let that dry.

Back