What have you done to your CX-5 today?

So you suggest a two bucket method, but then propose drying the car with a leaf blower? Where the slightest bit of dust or sand is blasted at the car at high velocity? Wow.

So you suggest a two bucket method, but then propose drying the car with a leaf blower? Where the slightest bit of dust or sand is blasted at the car at high velocity? Wow.
I use a battery-powered leaf blower. Just enough force to push the water out from hiding places. Works like a charm and no chance of paint damage.

Installed proper Fiamm horns that I got off eBay. Much better than the pair I got from AutoZone, and much cheaper to boot.

I use a battery-powered leaf blower. Just enough force to push the water out from hiding places. Works like a charm and no chance of paint damage.

Exactly. Not to mention not nearly the wind force and exposure to dirt and dust at common 65-80 mph freeway speeds in CA.

But trace amounts of dirt in a sponge is somehow death to the paintwork, necessitating two buckets. Gotcha. Or not.

You just washed it properly, didn't you? The velocity of that leaf blower damaging an already clean surface is negligible compared to your single-bucket, grind-in-the-dirt method. But hey, to each his own. These particulates are particularly perplexing to ppl <---Say that fast 3x. :)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

FWIW Griots has a dedicated blower supposedly used to dry to a concours finish. Not a leaf blower though.

The car wash place I use has an air tank and they use the nozzle for the nooks and pushing water out the seals n stuff

Debadged her.

i31L9dKOfne67.jpg

I don't use the two bucket method. I have a grit guard that keeps the dirt at the bottom of the bucket and not in my microfiber wash mitt. And... I always clean my wheels, tires, lower trim first, rinse out the bucket, then use new soap/water for the body. That has kept keep the marks and scratches to a minimum. I have used compressed air, or my leaf blower, to clear out trapped water but not the entire body. The leaf blower works best when drying out the engine bay after a good wash, followed by a coating of Pledge. Go ahead and laugh, but the stuff really helps keep the plastics and hoses looking nice.

I don't use the two bucket method. I have a grit guard that keeps the dirt at the bottom of the bucket and not in my microfiber wash mitt. And... I always clean my wheels, tires, lower trim first, rinse out the bucket, then use new soap/water for the body. That has kept keep the marks and scratches to a minimum. I have used compressed air, or my leaf blower, to clear out trapped water but not the entire body. The leaf blower works best when drying out the engine bay after a good wash, followed by a coating of Pledge. Go ahead and laugh, but the stuff really helps keep the plastics and hoses looking nice.
I use the same bucket, but always work my way from the top to the bottom, saving the wheels and their brake dust for last. To me that makes more sense.

I use a separate bucket for wheels. It usually has an assortment of brushes in it. I'm also a single bucket grit-guard man. My method is a foam cannon rinse, wheels, tires, fenders and lower valence, rinse with high pressure water, then wash with a mitt and bucket with the grit-guard. Finish off with another high pressure rinse, then dry with a microfiber drying cloth and compressed air.

I use different tools (Daytona wheel brush and sponge mostly) for the wheels, but I do them first so I can start drying the vehicle as soon as I'm done washing the body (top to bottom).

I have a bunch of swirls and lines. What is a good cheap wax? I got some turtle wax.

I have a bunch of swirls and lines. What is a good cheap wax? I got some turtle wax.

I use Meguiar's "Ultimate" line of washing/detailing supplies, because many are "liquid" form rather than traditional wax and it makes everything easier when I detail by hand. Depending on the severity of the swirls and lines, you could also consider using a polish or light scratch remover before you wax.

edit: I've also tried Collinite 845 and Jetseal on a couple occasions, and they worked really nicely too if you're looking for a longer lasting wax/sealant respectively. I tend to get overly obsessive so I detail a bit more often.

Last edited:

there is no such thing as good and cheap, but there are plenty "respectably priced" options. The Ultimate stuff is pretty decent to work with, comes off easily, but doesn't last. If you have any imperfections, you need to polish first.... BUT, as a word of caution: do your research. Check out Chemical Guys and Auto Geek on youtube for demos on how to fix them the right way or you'll just end up making them worse, or doing more damage.

Back