What have you done to your CX-5 today?

c782de54d064eb11788b2b6498d05243.jpg
Hope you didn't use this OEM disk brake caliper tool to turn the piston! ;)

Maintenance Mode for 2016/2017/2018 CX-5 with Electric Parking Brake

Hope you didn't use this OEM disk brake caliper tool to turn the piston! ;)

Maintenance Mode for 2016/2017/2018 CX-5 with Electric Parking Brake

Well now, I wish I had found this yesterday! (hand) I searched high and low for tutorials and video's to make sure there were no EPB specific tasks I needed to watch out for. I found nothing. I got a copy of the manual, it made no mention of this procedure. I watched numerous youtube videos, they all used the piston tool. So YEP, I used the tool as it was intended (turning the piston). For ONCE I have to say thank goodness my wife never (ever) uses the parking brake! I always ride her about it, and she never listens, but that may have saved my bacon. I just checked the system and everything works as it did previously. EPB engages and disengages smoothly and works as intended. (nana)

Thanks for re-posting this information though. I'll be saving it to my "brake repair" folder and using it for all future pad replacements.

Buddy helped me change pads on my Saab. Floored how easy it was.
Same here. I'm used to maintaining motorcycles, and have done many, many brake jobs on bikes (which are easy). But I was surprised at just how easy it was with the car. I didn't even need to pull out any fluid, all levels are still within the marks.

All that being said, I did apparently do it wrong! (peep)

This is correct.

I suppose I could have put all the old pads back in, but once you pass a certain point in a repair/maintenance procedure, you may as well just go all the way and "make it right".

Yup.

You're saving money by doing it yourself. Why make life harder for than incremental nickel?

Now, there have been times in my life when I needed that incremental nickel...

This is correct.

I suppose I could have put all the old pads back in, but once you pass a certain point in a repair/maintenance procedure, you may as well just go all the way and "make it right".

Fair enough

Added AEM filters at 25K miles. Old one was not too dirty in Dallas FTW area. So 35 K mile life is pretty spot on. First drive mpg was meh but I have new tires as well.

I have replaced the belt tensioner and serpentine belt. The belt still looked like new, but since I had a new one, I have replaced it.
I have got frustrated with it a couple of times, plus it was very dirty job, but at the end, it is done.
At the end, I have done it from the bottom. The wrench that I have used, did not have enough leverage, to release the belt tension. It was hitting the engine mount.
Quite a lot of shielding had to be removed, to have a bit of access, to that area.

I have a box in the back of my CX-5 with 10 quart bottles of Mazda ATF FZ fluid.

Decided to go for it and get it done. Also bought another catch pan with quart and half quart marks on it so I can see how much is coming out.

Pretty sure I bought too much as I don't anticipate needing a full 10 qts. for 2 drain/fills from what I've seen people post here. But figured it was better too have too much than not enough.

I have a box in the back of my CX-5 with 10 quart bottles of Mazda ATF FZ fluid.

Decided to go for it and get it done. Also bought another catch pan with quart and half quart marks on it so I can see how much is coming out.

Pretty sure I bought too much as I don't anticipate needing a full 10 qts. for 2 drain/fills from what I've seen people post here. But figured it was better too have too much than not enough.

Make sure to drive around for 1-2 weeks or so before attempting 2nd drain/fill. To allow old oil to circulate and dilute to later be drained.

I have replaced the belt tensioner and serpentine belt. The belt still looked like new, but since I had a new one, I have replaced it.
I have got frustrated with it a couple of times, plus it was very dirty job, but at the end, it is done.
At the end, I have done it from the bottom. The wrench that I have used, did not have enough leverage, to release the belt tension. It was hitting the engine mount.
Quite a lot of shielding had to be removed, to have a bit of access, to that area.

Damn yo...Got job!!!

Avoided being t-boned by some jackass pulling out from a cross street. Hit the horn and spun the wheel and the CX-5 felt like it jumped sideways.
THAT's why you want a good handling car!

Few weeks ago ordered some new backup leds they are cree type. Some condensation/water got in and over time corroded the electrode on one of the bulb. Worked out because these are far superior in brightness and projection. Only cost $11. https://www.ebay.com (commissions earned)
utDzPHa.jpg

Ordered these DRL as some of the side LED on one of my drl have been going out after prolonged use. https://www.ebay.com (commissions earned)

Latest posts

Back