What do you use to clean your engine bay ??

canp5

:
2002 Canadian P5
I just picked up my P5 and the engine bay is dirty with road grime etc. I want to clean it and was wondering what is the best to use. I am looking for a product that I can spray all around and the hose off.

Any ideas or do's and dont's

Thanks

optimum power clean.
Great / safe for engine bays.
Can also be diluted for use on wheels and tires.
Get the gallon

Dawn or car wash soap unless its really grimey. Then you might need something stronger but becareful that you don't go to strong or your bolts, brackets and accessories will develop and ugly white residue when dry. S100 Engine brightener is another good product.

A few brushes, rags and elbow grease will work wonders.

Gunk engine brite cleaner is a spray that works well and is cheap, I used it on the filthy engine bay on my MSP.

rag
i dont really use any sort of specific cleaner on mine, just a rag, and a spray bottle of water+simple green
i wouldnt suggest hosing off the engine bay...but im sure it CAN be done
i use the soapy water and rag to clean the engine bay, and very little tire shine or oil to keep it looking clean and shiny
works very well

rag
i dont really use any sort of specific cleaner on mine, just a rag, and a spray bottle of water+simple green
i use the soapy water and rag to clean the engine bay, and very little tire shine or oil to keep it looking clean and shiny
works very well

I've been washing my engine bays with soap and water for 9 years. Never had a single problem.

To the OP. If you have any chrome/aluminium/painted surfaces, be VERY careful what kind of cleaner you use. GUNK is a great product if you engine bay is oily/grimy from leaks of some sort. Otherwise, the same soap you use to wash your car works just find. I personally wrap the alternator if it's in plane sight, as well as any other major electrical systems I.E. fusebox, sensors etc.. To make it shiny, I just use ARMOR ALL and a rag and wipe down plastic surfaces, I.E. engine cover, fan shroud, hoses, wire loom. I do this every time i wash my car, It's never failed :)

I had problems with a 96 626 DOHC 2.0 when I got the spray down into the spark plug wells. Took a lot of drying to tame the temporary electrical short. So now I'm a little anal about not getting much of any water on the rubber plug riser seals. They have tiny vent holes too.

Just know this and don't nail them with the stream and you should be OK. Worst case you take them all out and let it all dry out.

rag
works very well

Yep! Me too! Consistantly cleaning it keeps it easy...

I usually use a foam wheel cleaner; safe for paint, rubber, alum, etc.

Go to a wand bay car wash.

Spray the foam, let it sit a minute, spray off w/ high powered mist, not getting wand close to any major electrical parts.

Later in the day after it's dry, I'll spray w/ ArmourAll.

Never had a problem, yet.

I use my steam cleaner that I purchased off HSN...that and some Simple Green works wonders :)

Simple green & water. Tire shine for making hoses and such shiny.
+1.

And like others have said, if you stay on top of it and don't let it get out of hand, it's easy. My 85,000 mile engine bay looks pretty clean- helps not living in a salt belt though too.

Foaming wheel cleaner. I look for bargains at the local dollar stores. You can typically find it for $3.00 or less. I use it on all of our vehicles.

I use Simple Green if it they need a light cleaning.

Back