What did you pay for your CX-9?

Got my '15 cx-9 GT (83k miles) a few days ago and paid 16k OTD w/ extended warranty through Carmax (4yr/125k miles). I had traded in my Dodge for it and they made a decent offer on the trade-in, which basically put it at break-even for me once everything was said and done.

CX9 Touring Plus: $44,283.39 including TTL at 2.9%. MSRP with accessories was $43,985. Another dealer had an exact similar vehicle listed at $41,5. I got the dealer to match and add on my Costco Dealership program discount.

Felt like a great deal, so we went with it.

Just bought a 2022 CX-9 GT. MSRP was $46,985 with Mazda factory options. My dealer gave me $20,500 in trade for my 2017 CX-9 with 79,000 miles on it. I put $13,000 down and financed the rest at 1.9%APR for 60 months.

This was the price on the window sticker.
$44,790 - TOTAL MSRP stock
+$595 - Exterior: Machine Gray Metallic
+$125 - CARGO MAT
+$200 - CROSS BARS
+$1,275 - DESTINATION FEE
=$46,985

These are the fees I received at time of purchase.
-$1,250 - Mazda incentives
-$20,500 - trade in
-$13,000 - cash
=$34,750

These are the fees I paid at time of purchase.
+$3250 - 10 year/100,000 mile Mazda Extended confidence warranty. Lifetime powertrain warranty
+$282.5 - 5 oil change/tire rotate package
+$145 - license fee
+$647.50 - dealer doc fee
+$2,438.90 - total taxes
+$295 - Perma Plate 7 years
=$7,058.90

Financed $19,293.9 at 1.9% for 63 months.
+$1,009.11 - Finance charges if loan taken to term
=$20,303.01

Actual price paid = $55,053.01
You got lowballed on your trade and really ripped off on the warranty unfortunately. You could have easily gotten a discount on the CX-9 as they are not in demand vehicles like a cx-5 let alone a Honda or Toyota product. You didn't pay over MSRP but got taken elsewhere. If you are happy then enjoy but they made a ton off you

You got lowballed on your trade and really ripped off on the warranty unfortunately.
Yes and no.

That depends. If they are keeping the vehicles for life(10,12,14 years) then a liftime PTO warranty with mazda engines inclination for problems may be a good deal.
Otherwise, yes they got ripped off, especially if they turn around and trade in after so many years.

Yes , it seems they got lowballed on the trade-in. Dealers always doubledip and sell new at high and lowball the trade and try to make money on both.

However used car inventory is increasing, less people are buying and used car prices are declining.

If they could have waited another several months, the new car market should follow with decreased pricing.

In past, I always bought new from dealer but then sold my used car FSBO to get the most for mine.

Forgot to add I paid $23,689 cash OTD for the 2017 CX-9 I traded in, almost 4 years ago when used car prices were super low. I was planning on keeping it many more years as I personally maintain all my own vehicles, meticulous. I had a Subaru Forester for 18 years before buying the used CX-9. The CX-9 head issue sparked me to trade for new. At this point in my life I can afford a new vehicle and the piece of mind a good warranty costs. I was only expecting around $18k for the trade in bought 4 years ago. My dealer received 7 CX-9's and only 2 GT's, which both sold pre delivery, one to me. I am happy, thanks for you feedback.
Hey if you’re happy then that‘s all that matters! Congrats on your new purchase!

Got a set of new Scorpion All Season Plus 3 instead of OEM Bridgestones.. looking forward for a better wet traction for the next 9 months of rain season )

You got lowballed on your trade and really ripped off on the warranty unfortunately. You could have easily gotten a discount on the CX-9 as they are not in demand vehicles like a cx-5 let alone a Honda or Toyota product. You didn't pay over MSRP but got taken elsewhere. If you are happy then enjoy but they made a ton off you

I see stuff like this on an incredibly helpful forum and it makes me scratch my head. Most decent folks would never talk to someone like this in person. Funny how people are rude like this online. Once we learned a bit more seemed that e2jankow did quite well on his trade and purchase.

I see stuff like this on an incredibly helpful forum and it makes me scratch my head. Most decent folks would never talk to someone like this in person. Funny how people are rude like this online. Once we learned a bit more seemed that e2jankow did quite well on his trade and purchase.
Well fortunately what I stated was pretty much the facts of the matter on how a dealership took advantage and made a ton off the deal, written in a thread on a forum with the topic of members offering their experience and listing their prices paid or asking if they got a good deal or what would be a good deal is. It's not rude and I'm not a rude person. I'm quite the opposite and go out of my way to help others and give sound advice to people who want to listen and learn. It actually would be said the exact same way if I was face to face. Don't cry after you bought, thinking you got a good deal when someone with more knowledge and experience in purchasing tells you the real truth. Additionally, what you paid for the vehicle you traded in has no bearing on what it is worth now in these times in relation to how much money you are leaving on the table at the dealer when it could be in your pocket. Negotiation takes knowledge, skill a willingness to put in a decent amount of effort to pull off in your favor. You also need to have common sense and not believe what a salesperson or manager says. It's a game to them to part as much money from your wallet as they can so they can go on their paid....by....you cruise to the Bahamas... They are predatory and will take any opportunity they can to do so. You need to be smart and put in your time and do your homework. If an honest informative post like this offends you, then you need not reply but in reality it helps others.

Last edited:
Well fortunately what I stated was pretty much the facts of the matter on how a dealership took advantage and made a ton off the deal, written in a thread on a forum with the topic of members offering their experience and listing their prices paid or asking if they got a good deal or what would be a good deal is. It's not rude and I'm not a rude person. I'm quite the opposite and go out of my way to help others and give sound advice to people who want to listen and learn. It actually would be said the exact same way if I was face to face. Don't cry after you bought, thinking you got a good deal when someone with more knowledge and experience in purchasing tells you the real truth. Additionally, what you paid for the vehicle you traded in has no bearing on what it is worth now in these times in relation to how much money you are leaving on the table at the dealer when it could be in your pocket. Negotiation takes knowledge, skill a willingness to put in a decent amount of effort to pull off in your favor. You also need to have common sense and not believe what a salesperson or manager says. It's a game to them to part as much money from your wallet as they can so they can go on their paid....by....you cruise to the Bahamas... They are predatory and will take any opportunity they can to do so. You need to be smart and put in your time and do your homework. If an honest informative post like this offends you, then you need not reply but in reality it helps others.
It's a New era. There is now an environment where everyone feels offended by what they percieve as the smallest slight. It's happening in other countries as well but the US seems to be the leaders in snowflakes and teaching children to be passive and become sheep for the wolves. Sometime whats needed is a good hard kick in the butt. No one understands the difference between stern versus rude/mean. Oh well, if they have the $$ to pay and willing to be in debt forever thats their choice to make.

It's a New era. There is now an environment where everyone feels offended by what they percieve as the smallest slight. It's happening in other countries as well but the US seems to be the leaders in snowflakes and teaching children to be passive and become sheep for the wolves. Sometime whats needed is a good hard kick in the butt. No one understands the difference between stern versus rude/mean. Oh well, if they have the $$ to pay and willing to be in debt forever thats their choice to make.
Hammer meet nail head, couldn't have said it better. I've never seen it so bad. I'm experiencing this phenomenon on the regular. Oh boy the country is in trouble. 😵‍💫

Hammer meet nail head, couldn't have said it better. I've never seen it so bad. I'm experiencing this phenomenon on the regular. Oh boy the country is in trouble. 😵‍💫
Yep. Millions of years of hardship, war, famine, disease, etc. You know it's bad when a guy goes to HR and reports girl for calling him "a pansie" like WTF?

@Tchman2016 is blunt with their wording, as are many others, and there is nothing wrong with that. Lots of helpful information was provided, blunt as it was.

With that said, if anyone feels that a personal attack/insult was made, please use the Report Post function and the mods/admins will review and action as needed.

Let's get back on track please.

@Tchman2016 is correct in his assessment of my purchase, although unsolicited. The dealer made almost $4k off my trade in, I asked the sales manager a week later after it sold. I wasn't asking the forum for advice I was just letting it know my experience. The forum is "What did you pay for your CX-9?", not "What does someone think about what you paid for your CX-9?". Overall I got a fair deal due to the cost of the used vehicle purchase. If not for that I may have waited a little longer. I'm sure I could have saved a few thousand dollars between my trade in and warranty purchase but to me it wasn't worth the hassle of loosing the vehicle over ~6%. This amount of money is not a "ton" to some people. I'm usually the guy who tries to get the best deal but in this situation it was not worth it to me. However, I did report @Tchman2016 to HR for being mean and they opened a ticket for it.

Some off-topic chat is natural and sometimes results in more accurate info. Someone looking for fair pricing will come across the info in this thread and may be curious to know how a person got to that price breakdown, or they may want to know how to get an even better price. More information is almost always a good thing.

Either way, deal is done, @e2jankow is happy with the deal and @Tchman2016 said his peace. Let's move on.

Went for an oil change came home with a new CX9. I had a 21 Touring. Leased in Jan 21 36 months 45k miles. Last Friday I went to my dealer for an oil change (was included in my lease). Sitting in the waiting room. Used car manager comes up to me and tells me they have zero used cx9s in inventory and would love to give me a valuation on mine. Mind you its in immaculate shape with only 20500 miles of the 26k allotment as of this weekend. I start looking online for what I might replace it with. Find the same color ext and int as mine in a GT. Msrp $46k. I owe about $6500 in payments and $22k residual. They come back with $31k for mine (just saw it online for $32) and about $2500 off the 23 with incentives and discounts. End of story I walk about paying about $80 more per month for a CX9 GT with 4 miles on the same lease terms with maintenance included. I guess it pays to get your oil changed on the last day of the month.

Last edited:
I just traded in my 2019 GT with 35k miles with 3 months left on lease. Got a 2023 GT for only $40 more monthly with nothing out of pocket and that included GAP and Tire and Wheel protection. Also got all weather mats, cargo carpet, and maintenance covered for 3 years. Selling price of vehicle was $44,200 including destination. Sticker was $47,825. Think I did a good job considering being over mileage and getting all that from dealer.

Attachments

• F7429D02-22A4-4E6B-892F-7872B0F06B15.jpeg
    F7429D02-22A4-4E6B-892F-7872B0F06B15.jpeg
    112.3 KB · Views: 79
Went for an oil change came home with a new CX9. I had a 21 Touring. Leased in Jan 21 36 months 45k miles. Last Friday I went to my dealer for an oil change (was included in my lease). Sitting in the waiting room. Used car manager comes up to me and tells me they have zero used cx9s in inventory and would love to give me a valuation on mine. Mind you its in immaculate shape with only 20500 miles of the 26k allotment as of this weekend. I start looking online for what I might replace it with. Find the same color ext and int as mine in a GT. Msrp $46k. I owe about $6500 in payments and $22k residual. They come back with $31k for mine and about $2500 off the 23 with incentives and discounts. End of story I walk about paying about $80 more per month for a CX9 GT with 4 miles on the same lease terms with maintenance included. I guess it pays to get your oil changed on the last day of the month. I just saw my 21 on their site for $36k.
And nothing down I hope?

Back