What did you pay for your CX-5?

Just struck a deal for a 2022 CX5 Turbo model @MSRP in SF bay area.
I contacted 4-5 dealers. Most wanted MSRP+$1000 for vehicles in transit.
(meaning arriving in 2-4 weeks)
I heard that Signature models are in even higher demand.
Sold out before arrival and asking MSRP +$2-3k.
This one will be our fourth Mazdas.
Picking it up this weekend.
Sure, I will use the loyalty discount ($500) on it.

Just struck a deal for a 2022 CX5 Turbo model @MSRP in SF bay area.
I contacted 4-5 dealers. Most wanted MSRP+$1000 for vehicles in transit.
(meaning arriving in 2-4 weeks)
I heard that Signature models are in even higher demand.
Sold out before arrival and asking MSRP +$2-3k.
This one will be our fourth Mazdas.
Picking it up this weekend.
Sure, I will use the loyalty discount ($500) on it.

Congrats on the new CX-5! What colour did you get?

Did you trade in your 2017?

Just got a CPO 2021 CX-5 Touring in Machine Grey with just over 13k miles. Been searching around for a few months now and finally found what seemed like a pretty decent deal!

MSRP $24,500
Gov't fees $380
Dealer fees $1,198

Total (after tax) $27,700

Those dealer fees will kill ya here in Florida, but overall couldn't be happier with the new purchase!
You can’t get that kind of deal here in nj or eastern PA unless car was in an accident. Best I could find was a 2019 touring cpo, machine gray, preferred package with 22k miles $30,400 out the door. I’d say you did very well if the car is clean. Anything with lower miles, add $1000.

there is very little power to knock the price down. the nice cars are gone from the lot in just a few days, rough buyers market.

What was your out the door? My Turbo (hoping to pick up next week) is from Wayne also.
Price before TT&L (not OTD) is the only relevant number. OTD is an obfuscation that dealers use to massage the numbers He mentioned $850 under MSRP, the only real relevant info needed. OTD can be a difference of up to $4,000 and fully dependent on where you live

Price before TT&L (not OTD) is the only relevant number. OTD is an obfuscation that dealers use to massage the numbers He mentioned $850 under MSRP, the only real relevant info needed. OTD can be a difference of up to $4,000 and fully dependent on where you live
To be fair- they are asking about the price paid from the same dealer on the same model car ('22 Turbo) so I understand why they are interested to see if they got the same, or at least similar pricing. My guess is it will vary. Nobody gets the same deal.

Paid MSRP for our 2022 Signature, at Biggers Mazda, Elgin, Il. (When I ordered it last November, the closer Mazda dealer wanted a $2000 market adjustment.)

No it's not. But OTD only matters when comparing prices in the same state because the taxes/fees vary

No it's not. But OTD only matters when comparing prices in the same state because the taxes/fees vary
There is often great variation in sales taxes at the substate level. For example, I paid 7.5% on my new Ioniq 5. Someone living a mile away from me might pay 4.5% at the same dealer if they live in an unincorporated area (no city tax of 3%.)

I agree with Hal2 that purchase price before TT&L is the best comparative figure.

The only price that matters is the selling price after dealer discount off MSRP plus any bogus fees they try to add to compensate for the discount which if taxable, you can negotiate. TTL and any rebates do not count and you should never focus on negotiating the OTD price. You focus on the actual selling price of the vehicle, minus any incentives that go on top of the dealer discount as a cherry.

The price of my cpo 2019 touring with 22k miles, preferred package was $27800, $30400 out the door. could not find any better than that at probably 10 dealers in my area I dealt with for a clean car, all were above $28k. It has 11 months left on factory warranty plus another 12 mo the cpo. Car is super clean, one owner. Good price, who knows in this market, but I doubt it.

on the flip side, I sold my 2016 pilot exl with 40k miles for $30k so basically swapped vehicles. the pilot was $34k new when we bought it in 2016. Crazy how used car prices are.

You focus on the actual selling price of the vehicle, minus any incentives that go on top of the dealer discount as a cherry.
Yup. To better illustrate. If dealer A sells a $30,000 car for $24,000 then adds $5,000 in dealer fees (NOT TT&L), or dealer B sells the same car for $29,000 with zero dealer fees - no difference between the two. OTD just muddies the waters

Yup. To better illustrate. If dealer A sells a $30,000 car for $24,000 then adds $5,000 in dealer fees (NOT TT&L), or dealer B sells the same car for $29,000 with zero dealer fees - no difference between the two. OTD just muddies the waters.
Right, it muddies the waters, but only if the details are not disclosed. There would be useful clarity in comparing those two stories if what the one buyer got for that $5,000 was known and whether any of those items were a mandatory condition of the sale. Even an overpriced extended warranty in that $5,000 could make for a meaningful difference to some prospective buyers.

A common omission in these stories is the disclosure of a trade (or lack thereof), not often mentioned in these posts. A sweet off-MSRP deal (or at MSRP these days) to one buyer with a trade might not be available to another buyer without one or if the trade value was well negotiated by the buyer. Though more a factor in pre-pandemic times and at some time in the future, a dealer might be willing to make little or no money on the new car sale if he can make his bones in other areas, the trade being chief among them.

The only price that matters is the selling price after dealer discount off MSRP plus any bogus fees they try to add to compensate for the discount which if taxable, you can negotiate. TTL and any rebates do not count and you should never focus on negotiating the OTD price. You focus on the actual selling price of the vehicle, minus any incentives that go on top of the dealer discount as a cherry.
I agree that TT&L are not relevant since these are non-negotiable items. If one did find a way to reduce sales tax by crossing jurisdictions that might be relevant to readers in the same locale, but the details would need to be provided as an addendum.

Rebates are a different matter. When I was shopping in the summer of 2020, folks were reporting $1,500 manufacture rebates while none of the dealers in my region were offering it. The reasons for that could be one of several but suffice it to say rebate programs may not be national or dealer obligatory. As a consequence it would be useful to a prospective buyer to know that a rebate was applied or whether none was available, as another addendum.

On the subject of the "where", it's not very helpful to a prospective buyer to post a sweet deal without saying where they got it along with the other details of the transaction. So far as I can tell, there is no prohibition here about saying which dealership or even salesman did the selling.

In the end, there are two kinds of posts: the ones to establish bragging rights and the kind that are intended to be helpful to prospective buyers. In either case, the devil is in the details.

Last edited by a moderator:
Again- in general I agree with Hal2 about omitting TTL except for the case of the question above since we are talking about the same dealer and same model. Sure, the two people could be in different counties with different tax rates but it is still helpful to a new buyer of a car from the same dealer. Having the buyer contract from the completed sale could also be very helpful if the details of the car sold were included (aftermarket add on's, etc)

A sign chip shortage is easing off?

Just went to a dealer for services on my Mazda6 ('16).
Saw 30-40 new Mazdas on the slot.
Normally, this is not many (a couple hundreds before COVID), but considering the fact that there were less than 10 few months ago.

FYI. Maybe prices will come down slowly.

I got 2 real sweet deals on my 2020 and 2021 Signature. Sometimes it comes down to dumb luck and timing. without regard to 'quotas', sometimes a dealer really wants to move a car, whether its to make it's monthly numbers or to gain access to more units. in April of 2020 I got a Signature for nearly $6,000 less than MSRP - $32,500 to be exact.

It was a new Mazda dealership and the sales manager told me (I believe he might have been partially true as no other dealer could come within $500) that being a new dealership Mazda was giving him more leeway, and he really was foregoing more in profit in order to get more inventory (they all pay the same for a car, but the more they sell the more they get). I dunno', but rhere has to be a reason that none of 3 other dealers within 30 miles cold match his price.

Bottom line, there's intangibles that the dealer knows about that we don't - sometimes comes down to luck and timing. - Oh, and I'm no buying the "wait 'till the end of the month/quarter" because we don't know their quotas or incentives or whether they already met them a week earlier.

Crazy deal Hal. I wish I was even in the same ballpark. Don’t even think it was the same game.

That said, noticed something off about the signature model when compared to the carbon at some of the dealers. Seems the carbon is cheaper at MSRP but sells for more than the Sig used? The Sig iirc stickers for quite a bit more initially.

Attachments

• 7A1ADA31-5F50-486F-9231-D31BE1A27717.png
    7A1ADA31-5F50-486F-9231-D31BE1A27717.png
    65.2 KB · Views: 173
  • 395BDE92-3A28-40B1-8945-E019E36E141A.png
    395BDE92-3A28-40B1-8945-E019E36E141A.png
    69.2 KB · Views: 117
Crazy deal Hal. I wish I was even in the same ballpark. Don’t even think it was the same game.

That said, noticed something off about the signature model when compared to the carbon at some of the dealers. Seems the carbon is cheaper at MSRP but sells for more than the Sig used? The Sig iirc stickers for quite a bit more initially.
Yeah, something is very off with that figure. The '21 Sig starts at $7k more than the '21 CE Turbo.

We bought our CPO'd 2017 Touring for $20k in 2019 with 18k miles
We sold it in October 2021 to Carvana for $23,500 with 42k miles.

We bought our CPOd 2018 GT in October 2021 from a local Mazda store for $24k with 21k miles.

Back