What car are you ashamed to have OWNED?

genericuser

Contributor
:
96 Miata M-Edition, 2015 Mazda 3 Hatch
No, I'm not talking about owning as in street race, I'm talking about a car you have owned at one point in time that you are ashamed of.

Bring out your rust buckets folks.

I'll start.

The car I hated most that I've owned was my 1997 Grand Am. What a rabid piece of unholy crap that car was.

Good thread! (lol2)

I had a love / hate relationship with my '88 Cherokee. When it worked, I loved it. When it broke, I hated it. Sadly, it was broken more than it worked. The electrical system was ******. If you didn't start it every day, the battery would die. Never could figure out where the problem was. Also, every component that kept the engine cool broke, exploded, cracked, split, rusted or rotted out at some point.

Man, I miss that car. LOL!

All these student rides, parents' leftovers, not too much of a choice :D

• 1989 Ford Topaz GLX (Tempo) 3AT. That thing had more leaks and transmission A/C problems (A/C worked 2 times before in a 3 year ownership)
  • 1985 Ford Carry-All (huge Ford "Suburban", but with a 4MT!), sexy thing to get girls, riiiiight?
  • 1982 Plymouth Volare "K", 3AT

And this daily commuter, with 0.02hp. I would have been able to buy something more fun with the money I spent, but was lazy to do any research. It was cheap to maintain, but very boring/vanilla at the end...

• 1999 Honda Civic LX, 5MT

Last edited:
Never heard of a carryall.

I did find a four door bronco?

1067977476034517124S600x600Q85.jpg

Never heard of a carryall.

I did find a four door bronco?

Similar but it did not even had 4 doors nor AWD, it only had 3 frigging doors! Sold all over Latin America it seems.

Here is one beauty I found (Argentina??), ugly as sin but very reliable and 4MT. All my friends wanted to ride in it, we could be 9 riding along to pubs and parties, LOL

FordCarryallArg1.jpg

Wow, a 1982 K car!

My most shameful ride: a blue 1974 Nova Coupe with an in-line six and a white vinyl roof.
The ultimate old lady to church car. Not cool at all.
The only fun thing about it...it was a hatchback and with the seats folded down you could
lay down in it...which came in handy on date nights...

Similar but it did not even had 4 doors nor AWD, it only had 3 frigging doors! Sold all over Latin America it seems.

Here is one beauty I found (Argentina??), ugly as sin but very reliable and 4MT. All my friends wanted to ride in it, we could be 9 riding along to pubs and parties, LOL

you had that thing in this country? I've never even seen one.

you had that thing in this country? I've never even seen one.

Nope, south of the border

Smurf Blue 1990 Cavalier sedan 2.2L OHV I-4 3AT

Hey, I also had one as a student, not ashamed though. A 1990 ugly sky blue, but 5MT! No RPM dial but an annoying yellow "Shift" dashboard light to remind you to shift after certain RPMs. You could feel the wind through the rust, but very reliable though. It was something like this:

CHCA8894.jpg

Nope, south of the border

Hey, I also had one as a student, not ashamed though. A 1990 ugly sky blue, but 5MT! No RPM dial but an annoying yellow "Shift" dashboard light to remind you to shift after certain RPMs. You could feel the wind through the rust, but very reliable though. It was something like this:

CHCA8894.jpg

Mine looked like that except that it was blue smurfy blue and had black trim in place of the chrome.

I shouldn't say that I am ashamed of any of the cars I have owned. I bought and maintained all of them myself. But if I was, that car would be it. It was actually fairly reliable. I did routine maintenance on it and the only "serious" issue with it was a torque converter replacement.

I had one that looked like this:

photo.php

Sucker went for over 200k miles despite having a cracked exhaust manifold, a broken radio, and a host of other issues.

I wasn't ashamed to have owned it, per-se, but I am kinda ashamed about the bad choice I made to buy it since it was such a wretched piece of s***.

1985 Olds Calais Supreme, 3.0 V6. It only had 15,000 miles on it when I bought it in 1990 and it did everything in its power over the next 10,000 miles to make my life miserable. Torque converter stopped locking up, speedo went to 0 if you hit a bump on the interstate, canceling the cruise control. Oil pan leak that I never was able to fix, even with a new gasket, shifter refused to go in PARK one time in a grocery store parking lot, passenger window would go down anytime I wanted it to, but would only go up when IT wanted to....which was never when it started raining. Some sort of emission control failed at 20,000 miles, and 3 days after I sold it to some unsuspecting sucker, the water pump failed. Beautiful car..not a scratch on it, but it was an embarassment nonetheless.

1972 Puke Green little Mazda that warpped the cylinder head 3 times befor I got 10K miles on it and sold it in 72.

My first new car was a 1987 Chevy Spectrum.
I was moving a long distance and did not want to deal with potential car problems so I bought the least expensive reliable new vehicle I could find.
It was reliable all right, never had a problem, but it sure as hell was boring. Not to mention underpowered: you practically had to get out and push when you came to a hill. Kept it for maybe 18 months before I had to have something that could get out of its own way.
Not shameful, but dull as hell.

i had a 1989 toyota corolla sr5 wasnt really ashamed of it but it was a corolla. at one point i got into a accident and needed a headlight replaced. it had flip up headlights and the replacement i got was from a dark blue car. my friends said it had a black eye but i liked to say it was an eye patch

most shameful - 1995 civic hatchback, power steering stopped working 5 mins after he drove away with my money grrrr

my first car was a POS '94 Ford Aspire... no power steering, the body was teal, and I had nothing but problems with it. I only drove it for 4 months before the head gasket blew.

Back