Warning Lights Flashing and Engine Revving

aperture_shot

:
Mazda Cx-5 GT
Ok so update to the dash lights flashing problems:

The warning lights happened to me again this thanksgiving weekend while I was driving 35 on the road. The engine again revved like the gears switched to second or third gear and was stuck there for a while. Cannot drive using manual mode because the gear numbers were not showing. Would not accelerate any faster but revved really high while the dash lights flashed including the cel light remaining on. Pulled over and turned off engine and it seemed to have corrected itself again and drove normal for about a few miles and then it happened again. The cel light remained on for a day but today its gone.

Took it to the dealership and they were really helpful especially after they found out it was a cx5. Waiting to see what they find out. I'm just glad it did not happen while I was on the freeway driving 65mph I would get a little worried if the engine revved liked that while driving really fast.

Post when you get a diagnosis or an exorcism for your car, whatever fixes the problem. That does sound weird!

So the mechanic told me it was due to a faulty transmission valve and they need to replace it. Hopefully this fixes it. I will be getting the car back by Friday but for now am stuck with a not so fuel efficient mitsubishi loaner and I drive about 100miles per day.

This seems to be the cause of a number of issues with similar descriptions (symptoms). I just read of a similar repair made to a Car & Driver (believe that was the mag) long term test car. Always seems to come down to the transmission valve failing.

Our Mazda CX-5 Touring did the same thing aperture_shot described in his post last night driving home. The engine all of a sudden down shifted and the Dashboard lit up like a Christmas tree. I put the shifter into manual mode and tried to manually shift the transmission, but the gear selector showed up blank on my dash. I pulled the car over and turned the car off and on. The check engine light stayed on at this point. I tried to then drive away again and about a quarter mile later, the car did the exact same thing,downshifted and the dashboard lights lit up. I pulled over again and after turned the car off and on for a third time I was able to get it home

We have a FWD Touring with the Tech and Moonroof package. The car has just over 13,000 miles on it. We purchased it used with 10,000
miles in December 2012.

It is now at our local dealer, Bill Britt Mazda. The service manager said they have one of their stock units with the same problem.
According to their MazdaUSA representative, there was a bad batch of transmission parts from the Mazda factory. I am kind of disappointed that we are
already having problems with the vehicle, but I hope Mazda will resolve the issue. I will post updates once I hear back from the dealer. I have not heard anything yet and they have had the vehicle since 7:30AM this morning.

I called just to checkup on our Mazda, turns out it has to have the transmission valve body replaced :-/. It will take 2-3 weeks for the part to arrive so they offered us a CX-5, Mazda 3, or 5 loaner. Apparently the demand is so high for this part right now because of all of the defects there are now seeing. I am happy with my dealer's response and I will post back once I receive our vehicle back.

I feel confident in saying this will likely be the biggest issue you have with this car, assuming you maintain it well.
Mazda, like all other car manufacturers, always have gremlins to iron out of new mocels. This defective valve body/transmission issue that appears to be cropping up more, isn't any different.
They're machines. The can be made well, but never made perfectly.

Good luck! Hope this doesn't change your opinion of the vehicle, or of Mazda.

I feel confident in saying this will likely be the biggest issue you have with this car, assuming you maintain it well.
Mazda, like all other car manufacturers, always have gremlins to iron out of new mocels. This defective valve body/transmission issue that appears to be cropping up more, isn't any different.
They're machines. The can be made well, but never made perfectly.

Good luck! Hope this doesn't change your opinion of the vehicle, or of Mazda.

That certainly won't be the case. We love our CX-5 and are impressed more and more everyday with how fun it is to drive. We also own a 2012 Mazda 3 Skyactiv and I have had almost 19,000 trouble free miles. My wife had a 2004 Mazda 6 which didn't give us any problems except for normal wear and tear.

I am just glad our dealer is getting the problem fixed and it will be covered under the manufacturer warranty.

One thing I do wonder is if Mazda will issue a recall for this issue or try to keep it under wraps.

I called just to checkup on our Mazda, turns out it has to have the transmission valve body replaced :-/. It will take 2-3 weeks for the part to arrive so they offered us a CX-5, Mazda 3, or 5 loaner. Apparently the demand is so high for this part right now because of all of the defects there are now seeing. I am happy with my dealer's response and I will post back once I receive our vehicle back.

I got my car back after 2 months at the dealership. They initially thought replacing the transmission valve body would fix it so after waiting 4 weeks for the valve body to arrive they figured it was not going to cut it and decided to replace the whole transmission. There was a code about transmission malfunction after they installed the valve body that's when they decided to replace the whole thing. I will post the code when I find the paperwork.

Make sure that you get compensated for the time you are without your car. Mazda has sent me a month's worth reimbursement and still waiting for the 2nd month's worth in the mail.

I got my car back after 2 months at the dealership. They initially thought replacing the transmission valve body would fix it so after waiting 4 weeks for the valve body to arrive they figured it was not going to cut it and decided to replace the whole transmission. There was a code about transmission malfunction after they installed the valve body that's when they decided to replace the whole thing. I will post the code when I find the paperwork.

Make sure that you get compensated for the time you are without your car. Mazda has sent me a month's worth reimbursement and still waiting for the 2nd month's worth in the mail.

2 months!! Wow that is unbelievable. My dealer seems confident that the new valve body will fix the problem, but after reading your post I am not so sure. I am curious, did you receive a month's worth of a car payment as compensation?

2 months!! Wow that is unbelievable.

Yea tell me about it! I was driving a Mazda3 for a while. One month wait for the valve body because it was back ordered and another month for the whole transmission to arrive from Japan.

I was promised 2 months worth of payment reimbursed so far I have only received 1.

When a repare/replacement takes more than 3 weeks, then Mazda should pick up the montly payment or offer a check/cash for an equivalent amount.

Just a question for those that are having problems, what are the build dates of your vehicles?

Just a question for those that are having problems, what are the build dates of your vehicles?

I too am curious about this. My impression from reading the problems that have been posted is all the bad transmission valve bodies were from relatively early build 2013 CX-5's (like spring 2012). Mine was built in late summer 2012 and does not appear to have any issues.

I love the way this thing shifts when in auto mode.

Back