Warner-Hitachi K04 turbo Info for MS3&6

funkyman

:
Mazda MS3 Red with NAV
As high tech as DISI is, it is not the reason the Mazdaspeed3 has so much power and torque. Credit the Warner-Hitachi K04 turbo; the same unit found in the Mazdaspeed6. For a stock turbo, it has a lot of trick features, including a compressor stage supported by a full-floating, journal-bearing, water-cooled center section. Power balance is supported by a 79 trim 50mm turbine stage with an Inconel shaft-wheel mated to a 16.5mm A/R Niresist iron turbine housing. Maximum turbine speed is over 165,000rpm with a peak exhaust gas temperature in excess of 990 degrees Celsius

As high tech as DISI is, it is not the reason the Mazdaspeed3 has so much power and torque. Credit the Warner-Hitachi K04 turbo; the same unit found in the Mazdaspeed6.

This and other ground breaking stories to be featured in this month's magazine "Duh!". Also featured, "Exercise is Good" and an expose on "The Sun, why it's bad to stare at it."

(spank) I keeeeeed

lol yeah same here^^^^^ all that stuff isn't really anything above and beyond nowadays...

Hey guys, quick first post here... (shh, I'm at work)

I've been looking for some detailed specs on this turbo. At least I now know it's manufacturer and model designation!

Does anyone know turbine and compressor sizes, flange styles, etc etc? Or have a pic of how it's packaged on the engine? Long story short, I have a GT2560R just "laying around" and am wondering if I could package it into a MS3 (I have yet to buy the car). Figure a little bigger turbo couldn't hurt anything :)

Anyone know if this would be possible, given both physical limitations as well as ECU programming? I understand there have not been great strides taken in the engine management dept for MS3's.

Thanks for any help!!

*edit*
just browsed thru that link quickly, the K04 is rated to only 185 kW (<250hp)?? Is this the reason for the power drop off I've been reading about north of 5500rpm?

Last edited:
*edit*
just browsed thru that link quickly, the K04 is rated to only 185 kW (<250hp)?? Is this the reason for the power drop off I've been reading about north of 5500rpm?

I think that number is based on the Audi/VW 1.8L engine family as this is the same turbo found on those cars. Take 250 and divide by 1.8, then multiply the answer by 2.3, you get about 320 HP which is about what our cars max out at at the crank with CAI, TBE, and upgraded TMIC. (Based on dynos of about 280 WHP, take 280 and divide by .88 {roughly the drivetrain efficiency} and you get about 320. Hope that helps (and is correct).

here is a pic of the discharge flange off the turbo

5996d07569c04548aaed722d729f1cf7.jpg

Hey guys, quick first post here... (shh, I'm at work)

I've been looking for some detailed specs on this turbo. At least I now know it's manufacturer and model designation!

Does anyone know turbine and compressor sizes, flange styles, etc etc? Or have a pic of how it's packaged on the engine? Long story short, I have a GT2560R just "laying around" and am wondering if I could package it into a MS3 (I have yet to buy the car). Figure a little bigger turbo couldn't hurt anything :)

Anyone know if this would be possible, given both physical limitations as well as ECU programming? I understand there have not been great strides taken in the engine management dept for MS3's.

Thanks for any help!!

*edit*

no reason to go big turbo unless you have the fuel to back it up.

the power shuts off after 5.8k because the throttle plate shuts (ecu controlled)

the power shuts off after 5.8k because the throttle plate shuts (ecu controlled)
Agreed. I must admit I know very little about the fuel system for this car or if traditional injectors are even compatible. I have Bosch 42#ers from my turbo Focus build.

The throttle plate closes at 5800, are you kidding? I hadn't even heard that yet. What's redline? There's an awful lot electronic about this car. :(

Oh, and thanks for that pic cashmere. Hard to say for certain but it looks like it matches my old downpipe flange.

Last edited:
Agreed. I must admit I know very little about the fuel system for this car or if traditional injectors are even compatible. I have Bosch 42#ers from my turbo Focus build.

The throttle plate closes at 5800, are you kidding? I hadn't even heard that yet. What's redline? There's an awful lot electronic about this car. :(

Oh, and thanks for that pic cashmere. Hard to say for certain but it looks like it matches my old downpipe flange.

actually, the discharge flange/DP flange (same thing) is mazda speed specific. Fits ko4 for the ms6/ms3. i have had a hell of a time finding that flange for my own custom TBE i am building tomorrow. i thought others would fit cause they "looked" like they would, but they were all several cm off sad to say.

The throttle plates shut to about 60% of WOT when you get about 5.8K. The whole reason i haven't gone with XEDE is because they can't control it. No purpose in buying an expensive tuning software if they can't even control the throttle plate.

CPE and Cobb are both coming out with software that will tune the throttle plate along with other mazdaspeed parameters. Both are about $300 cheaper then XEDE and do more.

The fuel issue with the ms3 is not the injectors, but the cam driven fuel pump. Alone (without meth/water) it maxes out at about 315 whp. So, a redesign of the stock pump is in the works.

sure it has some "trick features... too bad its too damn small for a 2.3L !!

It very well may be a K04-025 or K04-026 which are used on 2.7L Audi engines. And considering that we MS3 owners use it to make over 300 HP without ECU mods I would say it works pretty darn good.

actually, the discharge flange/DP flange (same thing) is mazda speed specific. Fits ko4 for the ms6/ms3. i have had a hell of a time finding that flange for my own custom TBE i am building tomorrow. i thought others would fit cause they "looked" like they would, but they were all several cm off sad to say.

The throttle plates shut to about 60% of WOT when you get about 5.8K. The whole reason i haven't gone with XEDE is because they can't control it. No purpose in buying an expensive tuning software if they can't even control the throttle plate.

CPE and Cobb are both coming out with software that will tune the throttle plate along with other mazdaspeed parameters. Both are about $300 cheaper then XEDE and do more.

The fuel issue with the ms3 is not the injectors, but the cam driven fuel pump. Alone (without meth/water) it maxes out at about 315 whp. So, a redesign of the stock pump is in the works.
GREAT info! I love boards like this, where else can you get that kinda info :)

Thanks a lot man

holy cow are you kidding???!!! if you can bypass the ecu fuel cut off our cars are capable of sustaining around 900 HP with the stock fuel system. chew on that one for a while. thats pretty sick eh?

holy cow are you kidding???!!! if you can bypass the ecu fuel cut off our cars are capable of sustaining around 900 HP with the stock fuel system. chew on that one for a while. thats pretty sick eh?

HAHAHAHAHA!!! LMFAO!!! 900 HP!!! Sure, for about one second until you crack the head (excuse me, blow the friggin head right off the block) or bend a rod (excuse me, throw a rod right through the block)!!! That's got to be the funniest s*** I've heard to date on this board!!! (lol2) (2thumbs)

are you smoking crack dude ?

its not a matter of tuning out fuel cut.

the cam driven fuel pump DIES at 315whp. Its been tried/proven by CPE.

No one knows what the injectors or intank pump are good for just yet.

Cash you dont know what your talking about, the man said 900. 900 is 900 not 315. Cmon man his guesses are better than your proof. (stfu)(rofl)

Back