Vtcs/vics question with 626 intake manifold

:
Mazdaspeed Protege 2003
So I was wondering, with the 626 intake manifold upgrade. Do you leave the vtcs, vics, and prc solenoids hooked up so the CEL doesn't come on? My MSP came with a 626 IM when I bought it, and It's missing those two solenoids and the PRC solenoid. It just has the pig tails hanging there. It's ok on a cold start, but on a warm start. It will seem to run rich sputter and die. My AF will show 16.5, down to 18.0, then completly rich _ _ _.
I'm thinking that might have something to do with it, but I'd like your guys input if you think it could be something else. Thanks!

Last edited:
yes, they need to remain plugged in even if the actuators are missing. I'm surprised you don't have a CEL popping up

Alright, I actually do have a CEL on. I have to check the codes every two weeks haha. It's kinda annoying though.

Last edited:
Does anyone have a diagram, or photo of how they hooked up the vtcs vics and prc with the intake manifold? I can't seem to find any diageams or good pictures of the set up.

I hope this isn't improper to ask here, but why is the 626 intake manifold an upgrade on the FS-DE block?

it doesn't have the VICS/VTCS tumbler problems as well there's long runners.

Huh, so it's more or less what the MP3 has with the addition of perhaps improving the harmonic pressure wave range? Sounds pretty interesting! Perhaps I should look into this a little more.

Does it actually broaden the powerband, or does it move it around somewhere else?

Back