Vibration Between 2000-3500 RPM while Accelerating

joelp88

:
2014 CX-5 Touring, 2016 CX-9 Grand Touring
Hey all! Trying to figure out a very annoying issue on an otherwise great new car.

I bought the CX-5 about 6 months ago. For the first few months/miles it was great. I took a road trip where I used cruise control for a few hundred miles and then, after getting off the interstate, on the next acceleration I felt a vibration on the car. It has been there since.

It happens very regularly though not every time you accelerate. It seems to be exaggerated when accelerating and turning at the same time. I would say it happens most noticeably around 50%-60% throttle, in 2nd and 3rd gears, between 2000 and 3500PM.

To me it feels like the engine is bouncing back and fourth in those situations. It's on average not super strong, but in the worst case scenario very noticeable and annoying.

I've taken it to the dealer twice and both times, when given the explicit situations in which it is most noticeable, been told that the tech found nothing out of the ordinary. Multiple techs have ridden in the car, too. I plan on taking it back again soon but am not sure how to really get anywhere.

Wondering if anyone else can relate / offer suggestions.

From the symptoms you describe, it sounds like a CV axle shaft is going bad. Other possibilities include improperly torqued lug nuts, out of round wheels/tires, unevenly worn out tires, and/or loose front end components. Intermittent problems are sometimes hard to diagnose properly. Hope you get it solved soon!

I've taken it to the dealer twice and both times, when given the explicit situations in which it is most noticeable, been told that the tech found nothing out of the ordinary. Multiple techs have ridden in the car, too. I plan on taking it back again soon but am not sure how to really get anywhere.
Wondering if anyone offer suggestions.
Are you letting the techs drive it alone, or are you going with them? Since it seems to happen pretty regularly for you, have you driven it with a tech on board to demonstrate?

Sounds like a problem ALL CX5 owners will have sooner or later. I had my front axles changed @ approx.. 5000 miles for the exact same problem you have described. Problem gone. Then @ approx. 10,000 miles the vibration is coming back. The dealer felt the vibration just as they did the first time. They called the regional service manager and talked to a Mazda engineer and came up with this conclusion....... I knew this was coming..... The vibration is characteristic of the vehicle! I asked why the said characteristic disappeared when new axles were installed and I was told once the new axles BREAK IN the characteristic appears? What? So.... What Mazda is saying is that the axles wear to vibration in approx. 5000 miles which may take other cars maybe 150,000 miles to show the same problem? I say B.S.!
I would like to also add that my first oil change @ the dealer they overfilled my oil about 1/4" or to the twist on my dipstick. Since I knew I didn't use any oil from new to 5000 miles I didn't bother to check since I figured they knew what they were doing? So, I ran another 5000 with the oil overfilled. NICE!

Sounds like a problem ALL CX5 owners will have sooner or later. I had my front axles changed @ approx.. 5000 miles for the exact same problem you have described. Problem gone. Then @ approx. 10,000 miles the vibration is coming back. The dealer felt the vibration just as they did the first time. They called the regional service manager and talked to a Mazda engineer and came up with this conclusion....... I knew this was coming..... The vibration is characteristic of the vehicle! I asked why the said characteristic disappeared when new axles were installed and I was told once the new axles BREAK IN the characteristic appears? What? So.... What Mazda is saying is that the axles wear to vibration in approx. 5000 miles which may take other cars maybe 150,000 miles to show the same problem? I say B.S.!
I would like to also add that my first oil change @ the dealer they overfilled my oil about 1/4" or to the twist on my dipstick. Since I knew I didn't use any oil from new to 5000 miles I didn't bother to check since I figured they knew what they were doing? So, I ran another 5000 with the oil overfilled. NICE!

I'm sort of afraid of this. I haven't thus far been able to get a tech to experience the issue, but I'm going to take another ride with them, and I'll be watching so I can be sure they're driving in a manner most likely to induce the problem. I believe it's most exaggerated if you let the car shift into 2nd, then give it a lot of gas. From 2-3.5k rpm it can be pretty intense, especially for a brand new car with 13k miles. My Audi with 190k doesn't do this, yet my wife's brand new CX-5 does!

I hope to bring it back in within the next few weeks and will update as I can.

I'm sort of afraid of this. I haven't thus far been able to get a tech to experience the issue, but I'm going to take another ride with them, and I'll be watching so I can be sure they're driving in a manner most likely to induce the problem. I believe it's most exaggerated if you let the car shift into 2nd, then give it a lot of gas. From 2-3.5k rpm it can be pretty intense, especially for a brand new car with 13k miles. My Audi with 190k doesn't do this, yet my wife's brand new CX-5 does!

I hope to bring it back in within the next few weeks and will update as I can.

Everybody's driving characteristics are unique, it's best to get the tech to drive with you, with you driving. Every time I went on tests with customers, they handed the keys to me and I hand them back and get in the passenger seat. A GOOD technician will pay attention to not only when the problem occurs, but how you are driving it to make it happen.

Last edited:
Everybody's driving characteristics are unique, it's best to get the tech to drive with you, with you driving. Every time I went on tests with customers, they handed the keys to me and I hand them back and get in the passenger seat. A GOOD technician will pay attention to not only when the problem occurs, but how you are driving it to make it happen.

The only problem is that the vibration is much more dramatic in the steering wheel and pedals than just riding in the car. I had the tech ride with me once and I couldn't get him to notice. The car was having a good day though**the intensity of the vibrations varies from driving session to driving session it seems.

The only problem is that the vibration is much more dramatic in the steering wheel and pedals than just riding in the car. I had the tech ride with me once and I couldn't get him to notice. The car was having a good day though*—*the intensity of the vibrations varies from driving session to driving session it seems.

Ah, ok got ya. As I mentioned previously, intermittent problems are hard to pinpoint. Now, when I inspect for problems like this, I have put the car on a lift, and physically push and pull on the axle shaft. What I look for is excessive play in the shaft, between the boots. Then I would have another tech drive the car, in gear, in the air at the same RPM you have the issues at (2000-3500). Of course, the symptom may not show up, as there is no load on the axles. However, I have seen cars shake in the air from the vibration caused by the drivetrain, and the technician can actually observe the axle as it spins and visually look for out of roundness.

Just talked with my dealer service manager today. He talked again to regional service managers who talked to engineers ect. And Mazda has experienced a few vehicles out in the field like this. Their stand again "This is characteristic of the vehicle." He wasn't able to get that in writing though... Hmmm? He was also told to pass along that I should read about Skyactiv Technology. Skyactiv, or however you spell it, must mean Vibration Normal?

I need another fix attempt to capitalize on our states lemon law. What do you think I should do? Try another dealer? I want to stick with this dealer because I bought it from them but not because the bad luck I've had with them. This includes the oil overfill and they put a hole in my front bumper during my last visit. They replaced the entire front bumper but there is nothing like a factory paint finish, had to settle for a new bumper cover with a dealer paint job.

Any Mazda numbers to call? Customer Care Line?

Just talked with my dealer service manager today. He talked again to regional service managers who talked to engineers ect. And Mazda has experienced a few vehicles out in the field like this. Their stand again "This is characteristic of the vehicle." He wasn't able to get that in writing though... Hmmm? He was also told to pass along that I should read about Skyactiv Technology. Skyactiv, or however you spell it, must mean Vibration Normal?

I need another fix attempt to capitalize on our states lemon law. What do you think I should do? Try another dealer? I want to stick with this dealer because I bought it from them but not because the bad luck I've had with them. This includes the oil overfill and they put a hole in my front bumper during my last visit. They replaced the entire front bumper but there is nothing like a factory paint finish, had to settle for a new bumper cover with a dealer paint job.

Any Mazda numbers to call? Customer Care Line?

Having the same problem as you bro, don't really know what to do with this car.

Having the same problem as you bro, don't really know what to do with this car.

I am trying to trade mine off for a favorable deal. Great trade amount plus a great deal on a 2015. So far a crappy trade offer and a crappy price on a new one. They only want to give me $22,000 for my 2014 CX-5 Touring AWD with Bose/moonroof. Forget it. They better not be trying to dock me for the oil they overfilled or the accident they had @ dealer.

Mazda did offer me a 6 year/100000 mile bumper to bumper I may still take?

Just think I got a bad/unlucky one? May try Lemon Law route?

as of now, I'm staying away from any trade, due to I'm loaning mine, and don't want to get higher price now =(

what about the warranty, are they like offering it to you free?

I cannot say you got a bad one, cause there a lot of cx-5 owners who seems to be having this kind of issues, including myself.

mine is vibrating due to that I rejected their tire rotation(as per mazda techs said) but I only had my all season from march 2013-december 2013 and bought winter tires during dec 2013 and was on till may 2014. I just got back to my all season may 2014, alignment/balancing were all done at the dealer, and yep still shaking like a b****.

BTW my wheels are already rotated(DIY)

I am trying to trade mine off for a favorable deal. Great trade amount plus a great deal on a 2015. So far a crappy trade offer and a crappy price on a new one. They only want to give me $22,000 for my 2014 CX-5 Touring AWD with Bose/moonroof. Forget it. They better not be trying to dock me for the oil they overfilled or the accident they had @ dealer.

Mazda did offer me a 6 year/100000 mile bumper to bumper I may still take?

Just think I got a bad/unlucky one? May try Lemon Law route?

Update me about the lemon law thing man. =)

Update me about the lemon law thing man. =)

Well I am going to try a 2015. If it vibrates like my 2014....... It must be a characteristic? A crappy one! But I can live with it I guess?

They gave me $24150 for my 2014 and selling the 2015 for $26,858. Good enough. I have 13,000 miles on mine.

Because of what happened to my car at the dealer I'm not sure if Mazda actually offered the warranty or the dealer was just so I would have extra coverage because they overfilled my oil? They told me Mazda offered but I really don't believe them anymore.

Just want to get out of my oil overfilled, vibrating piece of crap.

yah good enough, loosing a couple of thousands might be ok rather than driving like that for the years to come, but yeah goodluck to your new purchase, anything in mind in which car you are going for? =0

Back