Very faint high pitched "mosquito" sound

Separately, I’ll try to get one next time it cools down (cold front moving in today). I had a video from before, but I feel like the noise is now more pronounced (contrary to what some have said— that it diminishes a bit after break-in). In my case (with what I hear), I’m confident the dealer will not give me the ol’ “we can’t reproduce it” or “we don’t hear what you’re hearing”. Just waiting until service #1 to raise the issue since it’s only a minor annoyance. Still, it’s a sound I feel like a brand new car should not have (ideally). Sounds almost like a diesel sometimes.

Thanks, I'd appreciate it. Might be a good idea to record the noise as it is now (when it's less pronounced), then record it again when it's more pronounced. With both videos, you should have a clear reference of the noise and how it changes, in case the dealer/service techs give you any pushback.

Last edited:
My dealer does not now deny there is a noise, however Mazda Canada seems to be pushing back, or that's what I'm feeling. Of course they don't want admit a costly design error, if it was safety related maybe they would be obligated. I have been pushing hard on the dealer now they are starting to say things like, "well that's just how that particular model is" They are getting ready to bail out on the issue.

My dealer does not now deny there is a noise, however Mazda Canada seems to be pushing back, or that's what I'm feeling. Of course they don't want admit a costly design error, if it was safety related maybe they would be obligated. I have been pushing hard on the dealer now they are starting to say things like, "well that's just how that particular model is" They are getting ready to bail out on the issue.

Test drive one of their GT Reserve or Signatures on the lot (if they have any). Record video to see if the sound you're hearing in your car is also audible in the dealer's car. If they sound different, that would prove your case.

Apparently you already have an audio recording, so if push comes to shove, you could compare both recordings and use them as evidence of the problem when working with the dealer and/or when dealing with Mazda Canada.

A few things.

I spoke to service at my dealer, he knew immediately that it was the high pressure fuel pump, so yes, we're all on the same page. Said more pronounced when cold

Don't get upset with your dealership - if Mazda doesn't have a fix for them then it's really out of the hands of the service department, and if Mazda doesn't want to address it then getting yourself worked up over it will only accomplish getting yourself worked up over it. Trust me, your service department would LOVE to have a fix for it because then they get to charge Mazda for it. Dealers love warranty work because every customer will approve it and the get to charge the manufacturer.

He did say to call again in the future as maybe some resolution will come from Mazda.

I have been pushing hard on the dealer now they are starting to say things like, "well that's just how that particular model is" They are getting ready to bail out on the issue.
It's out of the dealers control - see my post above

Trying not to turn this into a full time job
A few things.

I spoke to service at my dealer, he knew immediately that it was the high pressure fuel pump, so yes, we're all on the same page. Said more pronounced when cold

Don't get upset with your dealership - if Mazda doesn't have a fix for them then it's really out of the hands of the service department, and if Mazda doesn't want to address it then getting yourself worked up over it will only accomplish getting yourself worked up over it. Trust me, your service department would LOVE to have a fix for it because then they get to charge Mazda for it. Dealers love warranty work because every customer will approve it and the get to charge the manufacturer.

He did say to call again in the future as maybe some resolution will come from Mazda.
Yes it has been a learning curve, my dealership has been good for the most part. I'm on my 3rd new vehicle in 7 years so I'm sure they value that relationship. Having said that, Mazda Canada needs to recognize and resolve these problems.

That's Savage Geese's guess. See [or hear] this. [Noise at 16:22] Is that the noise?
This is the exact noise I here on my brand new 2021 Cx-5 GTR. High pitched chirp almost like crickets. Even in idle but gets more pronounced as you you press the gas. I have 900 miles on my car I think this started at about 300 miles.

funny thing is the loaner they gave me with 1150 miles same exact car doesn’t really have the sound or its much quieter and not really noticeable. My moms car which is the exact same car, 2021 GTR doesn’t either. She only has about 200 miles tho so it may develop in time.

I’m super sensitive to high pitched sounds. Many of my friends and even my father can’t hear it.

I just watched the above video- don't hear it at all. I think it could very well be my 52yr old ears. My wife mentioned it the other day when she was driving for the second time. She said, "whats that high pitched sound?" I said "what sound?" Lol. Maybe I should have had her test drive this one longer before I bought it :)

Anyone have any updates on this issue? I have a 2021 CX-5 signature with approx 1,700 miles with this annoying buzz discussed here. First visit to dealer claims it is normal, but did try to add insulation to quiet the cabin. Made no difference at all.

What exactly did they add? Never heard of this being done before. We are now at 4500 miles. I still don't hear the noise. She has stopped mentioning it so maybe she is used to it now...

Anyone have any updates on this issue? I have a 2021 CX-5 signature with approx 1,700 miles with this annoying buzz discussed here. First visit to dealer claims it is normal, but did try to add insulation to quiet the cabin. Made no difference at all.
Best way to determine typical (I'm replacing the word normal with typical), with this or anything you think is out of the ordinary, is to have them show you in another car that it exhibits the same behavior. There are indeed things that just "are what they are", but you can still see if it is typical.

See post #144 above

Best way to determine typical (I'm replacing the word normal with typical), with this or anything you think is out of the ordinary, is to have them show you in another car that it exhibits the same behavior. There are indeed things that just "are what they are", but you can still see if it is typical.
Yes, yes!

Hello all..new to forum. Thank you for all your posts..so happy to see the same problem I have had in my new CX5 Signature. It drives me nuts! I watched the video posted and recognized the sound. I have car going in again and hopefully armed with all this I can get fixed finally.

I have car going in again and hopefully armed with all this I can get fixed finally.
Actually, the information here provides the opposite. It indicates that it is typical, and that there is currently no known fix.

I think I heard this same sound when I use too have to have my 2015 Mazda 6 and in my current 2016 Mazda CX-5 GT. I thought it was just normal. I put also 100k on the 2015 Mazda 6 and 20,000 miles on the current 2016 CX-5 I own with no major issues. The CX-5 seems more reliable then the 6 so far though.

Last edited:
the sound from the tsb is on all gen2 CX5 but you have to drive above 100 mph to hear it.
Its super annoying and its more than whistling :) Below that speed its not that pronounced and most people dont drive that fast. There is a video on youtube where a guy in Germany drives at much more than 100 mph and you can hear it clearly.

So happy to have found I'm not alone hearing this sound. Its very much the sound I heard in the video. It happens whenever my foot touches the accelerator at low or high speeds, even barely touching it. At low speeds its most noticeable. And yes, the radio drowns it out. Just bought my 2019 used CX-5 Signature and I have a pretty nice after market warranty the local BMW dealer threw in who I bought it from. Going to take it in to diagnose. Sounds like a few folks here posted some potential remedies involving the fuel pump and maybe the fuel line bracket. I'm not technical so whatever works as its very annoying. Definitely high pitched, initially thought what others thought that this was some sort of interference and transmitting through speaker. Comes from center top of dash. So, when I take for next dealer service, will come armed with a few of your solutions. ALSO, thanks to whoever pointed out the OTHER really loud noise that happens at high speeds and a cross wind hits. Wow. That happened this weekend on a long trip. At 80mph and driving through flat Indiana highways a high crosswind hits and that noise is loud and kind of scary. Exactly as posted though - driver side, top front corner of door or upper left corner of windshield. Glad to see the fix posted for that as well. Great forum. Glad to have found it.

Last edited:
Back