Vent selector dial seems to have no effect?

Hi, new to the forum and new to my 2013 CX-5. The fan works and the fan dial works (fan settings can be increased/decreased) but the vent selector doesn't seem to do anything. It seems like air is coming out of the side and center vents no matter what I set the dial to, and I don't think air is coming out the defrost vents to the windshield? Not sure where the foot vents are located and whether air is coming out there. When I turn the dial, I don't hear any noticeable difference in air movement (like I would expect if it were opening and closing vents) nor do I really hear any "clicking" behind the dial making me think it's doing something. Could it be as simple as whatever connects to the dial just behind it is disconnected? I tried searching on the internet but not sure what these things are actually called and how to search exactly.

I don't know exactly but I think the doors are controlled electrically .

You might be able to see it when you remove the glove compartment door to replace the cabin air filter. Also the sides of the center dash console pop off fairly easily. Maybe you can see what is wrong.

Hi, new to the forum and new to my 2013 CX-5. The fan works and the fan dial works (fan settings can be increased/decreased) but the vent selector doesn't seem to do anything. It seems like air is coming out of the side and center vents no matter what I set the dial to, and I don't think air is coming out the defrost vents to the windshield? Not sure where the foot vents are located and whether air is coming out there. When I turn the dial, I don't hear any noticeable difference in air movement (like I would expect if it were opening and closing vents) nor do I really hear any "clicking" behind the dial making me think it's doing something. Could it be as simple as whatever connects to the dial just behind it is disconnected? I tried searching on the internet but not sure what these things are actually called and how to search exactly.
There is a TSB similar to the issue you have. It’s the cable either it has wrong length or dislodged from the position. Search the TSB for details, but yes, it’s the cable problem.

There is a TSB similar to the issue you have. It’s the cable either it has wrong length or dislodged from the position. Search the TSB for details, but yes, it’s the cable problem.
Thanks, I thought I saw a mention of that TSB when searching but I think I couldn't find the exact TSB... Is there a way for non Mazda employees to search the TSB or do I have to bring it to a dealer?

Craig

Thank you, that is great info. The TSB says the dial won't stay at defrost, but I think mine will stay there but doesn't seem to actually activate the defrost. I'll have to play with it this weekend.

It looks like this TSB is only covered if the car is still under warranty, which mine is not...

Thank you, that is great info. The TSB says the dial won't stay at defrost, but I think mine will stay there but doesn't seem to actually activate the defrost. I'll have to play with it this weekend.

It looks like this TSB is only covered if the car is still under warranty, which mine is not...
Yes, dealers won’t perform a TSB for free if you don’t have warranty. But you may consult a Mazda dealer with your VIN and see if this TSB been performed before. You should get a new (revised) cable with part number listed in the TSB, if this TSB has never done to your vehicle before.

I had a similar issue with my 2013 CX-5. What I found is the small metal e-clip holding the fan mode select switch cable in place had come out of its plastic retainer. When you drop the glove box this cable is easily accessible. Make sure that tiny metal e-clip is snapped firmly in place into the slot on the plastic retainer. I marked it with a red arrow.

Attachments

• e-clip.PNG
    e-clip.PNG
    144.1 KB · Views: 98
Back