Used vs. New CX-5

For s**** and giggles I just ran my CX5 thru the KBB calculator.

It returned a value of $24-26k for trade-in, $27.5k for personal sale. That is with the Tech package, only 9k miles and in excellent condition. Sticker was $32k including destination.

Not sure I believe it, but it is what it is.

Let me run mine thought!

$16-17K dealer trade in
$19.5k Private party

2015 Touring AWD 2.5 VG condition with 43k miles

Let's just say I'm glad I bought GAP!

i just faced this exact same choice.

It was between a 2016.5 Touring or a 2015 GT with about 16000 miles on it. The brand new car cost about $600 more and that's the one I went with.

The new Touring has added a lot of features that used to come only with upgrading. The one thing I definitely will miss is the 8-way power seat. I didn't realize how much nicer it is than the 6-way if you have long legs like me. So, I would recommend driving them both and spend some time adjusting the seat.

Aside from that, I'm pretty simple so don't care that much about the other gingerbread.

It was a tough choice... and my personality is such that had I gone with the GT I'd probably be complaining about the sound and/or the older infotainment system. All big purchases like this cause me more anxiety than pleasure at first, which I guess is why I'm not that materialistic.
:)

Let me run mine thought!

$16-17K dealer trade in
$19.5k Private party

2015 Touring AWD 2.5 VG condition with 43k miles

Let's just say I'm glad I bought GAP!

Looks like your mileage is one cause. I noticed price increased $2K on KBB when mileage was roughly halved from 43K to 20K

Looks like your mileage is one cause. I noticed price increased $2K on KBB when mileage was roughly halved from 43K to 20K

Exactly. When I was looking, mileage had to be less than 30k. Definitely wouldn't of taken anything with more than 40k.

i just faced this exact same choice.

It was between a 2016.5 Touring or a 2015 GT with about 16000 miles on it. The brand new car cost about $600 more and that's the one I went with.

The new Touring has added a lot of features that used to come only with upgrading. The one thing I definitely will miss is the 8-way power seat. I didn't realize how much nicer it is than the 6-way if you have long legs like me. So, I would recommend driving them both and spend some time adjusting the seat.

Aside from that, I'm pretty simple so don't care that much about the other gingerbread.

It was a tough choice... and my personality is such that had I gone with the GT I'd probably be complaining about the sound and/or the older infotainment system. All big purchases like this cause me more anxiety than pleasure at first, which I guess is why I'm not that materialistic.
:)

Yea it seems the numbers aren't really favoring getting a lightly used car. One thing we're considering is doing a lease, then buying out the car afterwards. The payments are a little lower now and we can finance the buyout later. So many options! I feel you on the anxiety part of it. Analysis paralysis.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The brand new car cost about $600 more and that's the one I went with.

I would not buy used for only this kind of discount.
Because buying a 3~4 year old vehicle of a reliable brand from private party is the best way to save money, getting it from a dealer immediately means you lose money. Yes, dealers are safer to deal with and they could have more selection, but you still need to ensure that the vehicle is in good condition and you need to negotiate with professionals. Negotiating on a new vehicle is much easier these days. If you go CPO, you pay even more for the certificate.
If all you save, if at all, is so little, why would you prefer it over a new vehicle?
If this vehicle is expensive for you, perhaps consider something less expensive, such as a 3~4 year old reliable vehicle?

Exactly. When I was looking, mileage had to be less than 30k. Definitely wouldn't of taken anything with more than 40k.

Bought mine 6mo ago with 27k on it. Like I said, I drive. I am not retired, and I like to do things, even though I'm a bit antisocial when I'm not on the clock.

I would not buy used for only this kind of discount.
Because buying a 3~4 year old vehicle of a reliable brand from private party is the best way to save money, getting it from a dealer immediately means you lose money. Yes, dealers are safer to deal with and they could have more selection, but you still need to ensure that the vehicle is in good condition and you need to negotiate with professionals. Negotiating on a new vehicle is much easier these days. If you go CPO, you pay even more for the certificate.
If all you save, if at all, is so little, why would you prefer it over a new vehicle?
If this vehicle is expensive for you, perhaps consider something less expensive, such as a 3~4 year old reliable vehicle?
I feel different sometimes. There is no WAY I would have gotten $17K for my Grand Jeep Cherokee from a private party.

Bought mine 6mo ago with 27k on it. Like I said, I drive. I am not retired, and I like to do things, even though I'm a bit antisocial when I'm not on the clock.

That's not bad. I bought my previous mustang with about that much on it.

Back