Used vs. New CX-5

jaggrey

:
2014 Mazda 6
Insert "long time lurker, first time poster" comment here... lol. I frequented these forums a couple years ago when I was researching before I eventually bought my 2014 Mazda 6 Touring (which now has close to 50k!). I then found out about Mazda6Club and have been more active there. But! The time is approaching where I'll have to replace my wife's car and she likes the CX-5. Which brings me to my question....

I like the updates they did to the 2016 CX-5, especially the Mazda Connect system. I have the old one in my car and it works well enough, but I would want something better for her if possible. Of course we're trying to spend the least amount of money possible so to save a couple bucks we're also checking out used CX-5s. Definitely want the 2.5L so I'm only going as far back as 2014 MY.

So in the event that we make a move within the next couple months, we'd probably get a 2016 CX-5 Touring or a 2014+ CX-5 Grand Touring so we get all the cool safety nannies that come with it. And gotta have that sunroof!

I'm figuring a used loaded CX-5 could be a better deal than a brand new mid-level, but it all depends on how the numbers work out. My question is, would it be worth paying a little more for the 2016, or save a couple bucks and go used? Is it really that much quieter inside post-mid-model update?

Also not completely off the table is a used Hyundai SantaFe (concerned about reliability) and a Toyota RAV4 (which I don't particularly care for unless it's the Sport or Hybrid versions which we can't afford anyway).

Insert "long time lurker, first time poster" comment here... lol. I frequented these forums a couple years ago when I was researching before I eventually bought my 2014 Mazda 6 Touring (which now has close to 50k!). I then found out about Mazda6Club and have been more active there. But! The time is approaching where I'll have to replace my wife's car and she likes the CX-5. Which brings me to my question....

I like the updates they did to the 2016 CX-5, especially the Mazda Connect system. I have the old one in my car and it works well enough, but I would want something better for her if possible. Of course we're trying to spend the least amount of money possible so to save a couple bucks we're also checking out used CX-5s. Definitely want the 2.5L so I'm only going as far back as 2014 MY.

So in the event that we make a move within the next couple months, we'd probably get a 2016 CX-5 Touring or a 2014+ CX-5 Grand Touring so we get all the cool safety nannies that come with it. And gotta have that sunroof!

I'm figuring a used loaded CX-5 could be a better deal than a brand new mid-level, but it all depends on how the numbers work out. My question is, would it be worth paying a little more for the 2016, or save a couple bucks and go used? Is it really that much quieter inside post-mid-model update?

Also not completely off the table is a used Hyundai SantaFe (concerned about reliability) and a Toyota RAV4 (which I don't particularly care for unless it's the Sport or Hybrid versions which we can't afford anyway).
Just wait a bit and get a used 2016. I bought my used 2015 in the last quarter of 2015.

The newer 2016s and 2016.5s are better insulated for road/tire noise.

But a nice CPO model will net you a better warranty.

Just a few more things to keep in mind.

Why didn't you get a 2016? How much did you save by getting the used 2015?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I didn't care what I got really. I just was tired of my Jeep and drove to the local Chevy dealer and haggled with them. They gave me $2K over KBB, and had a 2015 CX-5 Touring on the lot for $21,900, so that's what I got. SUV's are a "meh" purchase for me, and all I cared about was reliability ratings, which a quick Google showed me were good to go, so I drove it, decided it would do, and took it home.

Like has been said, if you can wait a bit a used or left over 2016 might be the ticket.

Incentives right now are not that great.

The newer 2016s and 2016.5s are better insulated for road/tire noise.

But a nice CPO model will net you a better warranty.

Just a few more things to keep in mind.
Yea it seems if I can get a used 2015 I'd get a 1 yr longer drivetrain warranty. I'm wondering how significant the difference is with the sound insulation on the 2015 vs. 2016. I looked up some test results from Car and Driver and their measurements between the models was almost exactly the same. I'll probably have to judge for myself.

Like has been said, if you can wait a bit a used or left over 2016 might be the ticket.

Incentives right now are not that great.
Yea I'm not seeing a whole lot of incentives right now, and nothing like what was available when I got my 6. We're not in a rush but I'm also not sure how long we'll be able to wait. Obviously as long as possible!

IMO: If you are buying fully loaded get a '16.... if not get a fully loaded '15 GT. Aside from infotainment there would be a noticeable difference between a '15 GT w/tech and a '16 Touring... assuming your primary focus wasn't the infotainment system

EDIT: no comment on noise as I don't find my '15 objectionable

Really? I got mine for about $6K off from a new one. These drop like a rock in value during the 1st year I think.

Maybe Tourings(which I don't think) but certainly not GTs. Used 2015s when I was looking were only ~$2000 less than a brand new 16 GT. CX5s hold value very well. I wanted a used one but the values were holding strong so I just went for a new one.

Really? I got mine for about $6K off from a new one. These drop like a rock in value during the 1st year I think.

Not that it matters since I plan to keep it until it is worth nothing...but here in Pacific Northwest I am not seeing price drops like that.

Really no idea if KBB is very accurate but my '15 AWD/tech w/22K miles is showing 27K... a lot on CL in the area similarly price. Undoubtedly selling for less but we all know new cars lose value off the lot. I can't really tell you the real value... again... I will never see more than a few thousand from my CX-5 when I offload it to a member of the class of 2025 or later :)

Really no idea if KBB is very accurate but my '15 AWD/tech w/22K miles is showing 27K... a lot on CL in the area similarly price. Undoubtedly selling for less but we all know new cars lose value off the lot. I can't really tell you the real value... again... I will never see more than a few thousand from my CX-5 when I offload it to a member of the class of 2025 or later :)

I agree and I can't believe anyone would imply the CX-5 loses value any faster than any other new car in it's class. My casual searching shows them holding value better than anticipated. And that only makes sense since they've been gradually developing a reputation for above average reliability and winning awards, getting good write-ups, etc.

I agree and I can't believe anyone would imply the CX-5 loses value any faster than any other new car in it's class. My casual searching shows them holding value better than anticipated. And that only makes sense since they've been gradually developing a reputation for above average reliability and winning awards, getting good write-ups, etc.

No, it does fine in its class. All new cars drop like a rock, except my Z06. That thing held value very well. I drove it for a year and lost about $7k when I traded it in.

No, it does fine in its class. All new cars drop like a rock, except my Z06. That thing held value very well. I drove it for a year and lost about $7k when I traded it in.

That's, because Z06's are mostly purchased, not by true driving enthusiasts, but wannabes. People who think what they own will make them an enthusiast. And they keep them in their garage and polish them like Aladin's lamp, waiting for a dry Sunday to drive them where the other auto-enthusiast wannabe's hang out.

In any case, here's your earlier attempt to imply CX-5's drop unusually fast (I interpret "These" to be synonymous with "CX-5"):

These drop like a rock in value during the 1st year I think.

That's, because Z06's are mostly purchased, not by true driving enthusiasts, but wannabes. People who think what they own will make them an enthusiast. And they keep them in their garage and polish them like Aladin's lamp, waiting for a dry Sunday to drive them where the other auto-enthusiast wannabe's hang out.

In any case, here's your earlier attempt to imply CX-5's drop unusually fast (I interpret "These" to be synonymous with "CX-5"):

Well, yes, I consider a 25% depreciation in year 1 to be "like a rock", and I did mean the CX5.

I bought my Z06 as a "sunday driver", personally. I enjoyed the hell out of it, but as you know, a track day will eat a set of tires. $2K a pop. That was too rich for my blood. I treated it like someone might treat a classic. I just enjoyed driving it!

For s**** and giggles I just ran my CX5 thru the KBB calculator.

It returned a value of $24-26k for trade-in, $27.5k for personal sale. That is with the Tech package, only 9k miles and in excellent condition. Sticker was $32k including destination.

Not sure I believe it, but it is what it is.

Back