US Diesel's big splash introduction

Maybe take one for a test drive once its released so you can get confirmation before you go down the path of purchase

I'll drive it around the block, but it could hardly be shittier than the current CX5 regarding cabin noise. I can't even really have a conversation due to the current vehicle's road noise, and if it's raining!? Dear god. Ear plugs. I came from a Jeep Grand Cherokee, and it was terrible compared to the Jeep, but the warranty and reliability still make it a better car, lol

But is a total POS for a CUV's actual purpose. Inefficient and noisy/loud.

Didn't you know (uhm) That's what they were going for. If I am no mistaken, that Mazda NO dude Coleman said as much.

Now they understand not everyone wants to hear all that noise

Didn't you know (uhm) That's what they were going for. If I am no mistaken, that Mazda NO dude Coleman said as much.

Now they understand not everyone wants to hear all that noise

Glad they came around to my way of thinking from back in 2015.
Seems that once Mazda came around to my way, so did the forum :O

Glad they came around to my way of thinking from back in 2015.
Seems that once Mazda came around to my way, so did the forum :O

I'd say Mazda's noise issue has been prevalant since BK Mazda 3 of mid 2000's

At any rate, the diesel should be quiet as well. User Nelson De Leon has said as much

Theirs something wrong with your car. Or the Us version uses less sound insulation?

The noise on both my cx-5 is acceptable. Perhaps its the roads you use, or the tyres fitted.

As for getting 33mpg at 100mph, I don't believe it. The cx-5 diesel isn't the best for MPG even at 80mph indicated, under 40mpg is a guarantee IME.

I'll drive it around the block, but it could hardly be shittier than the current CX5 regarding cabin noise. I can't even really have a conversation due to the current vehicle's road noise, and if it's raining!? Dear god. Ear plugs. I came from a Jeep Grand Cherokee, and it was terrible compared to the Jeep, but the warranty and reliability still make it a better car, lol

Theirs something wrong with your car. Or the Us version uses less sound insulation?

The noise on both my cx-5 is acceptable. Perhaps its the roads you use, or the tyres fitted.

As for getting 33mpg at 100mph, I don't believe it. The cx-5 diesel isn't the best for MPG even at 80mph indicated, under 40mpg is a guarantee IME.

Depends on when his 2015 was built. It was the minor face lift here in 2015 that brought extra sound insulation along with the LED DRL's etc

But my 2013 was acceptable re sound levels, my 2015 (2016 to the US) has Leds and the increased insulation, and again is acceptable.

Even the 2017 in UK tests has been criticised for road noise, now wind noise is reduced, they have to find some issue or there's nothing left to write about.

Depends on when his 2015 was built. It was the minor face lift here in 2015 that brought extra sound insulation along with the LED DRL's etc

But even the earlier CX5's were not nearly as noisy as some people here like to claim. Had a 2013 GT diesel myself. Yokohama tryes on that one from new. Second set were the same. I can not recall thinking to myself "gee this car is noisy" when I first got it. Just didnt happen. Stepped out of a late model SV6 Commodore sedan before it, itself a fairly quiet ride.

It may of course depend on what you had as a daily drive before the CX5. Like any wagon style vehicle, compared to a sedan, youre always going to get more rear wheel noise into the cabin. So everything is relative to your most recent experience.

I think the same applies to people who think the CX5 brakes are spongy - every car I have driven, the brake pedal is different, and you quickly get conditioned to the one you drive regularly. Step out of one that has a sensitive pedal that picks up high up, and into one that is more progressive and requires a firmer foot, then its gonna feel different. You just need to acclimatise your foot and brain to the new one. Some brains take longer to adjust though, apparently, and want to "blame" the new vehicle.

The MY 16 is definitely quieter, and no doubt the 17 is a big step ahead again.

Chuck a set of unsuitable tyres on it and it will have an impact too.

But even the earlier CX5's were not nearly as noisy as some people here like to claim. Had a 2013 GT diesel myself. Yokohama tryes on that one from new. Second set were the same. I can not recall thinking to myself "gee this car is noisy" when I first got it. Just didnt happen. Stepped out of a late model SV6 Commodore sedan before it, itself a fairly quiet ride.

It may of course depend on what you had as a daily drive before the CX5. Like any wagon style vehicle, compared to a sedan, youre always going to get more rear wheel noise into the cabin. So everything is relative to your most recent experience.

I think the same applies to people who think the CX5 brakes are spongy - every car I have driven, the brake pedal is different, and you quickly get conditioned to the one you drive regularly. Step out of one that has a sensitive pedal that picks up high up, and into one that is more progressive and requires a firmer foot, then its gonna feel different. You just need to acclimatise your foot and brain to the new one. Some brains take longer to adjust though, apparently, and want to "blame" the new vehicle.

The MY 16 is definitely quieter, and no doubt the 17 is a big step ahead again.

Chuck a set of unsuitable tyres on it and it will have an impact too.

My 2015 is louder than my 370Z were on the highway. Not pleased with it AT ALL from that standpoint.

The 33mpg doing 100mph was the deal-sealer for me. I should be getting AT LEAST 35mpg on long road trips at that rate. Do you know how convenient that is compared to the 22-27mpg that I currently get driving across the Southern states? That's 455 miles to fill-up (assuming I fill up at 2gal remaining, and the tanks are the same size at 15)

If it's any help... my late 2014 top spec 2.2 diesel AWD auto (it's called Sports Nav this side of the pond) gets about 400 miles to a tank before it gets too low, driving 'normal/nice'. If you were to run the tank low, driving 'quite nice', your 450 miles wouldn't be hard to achieve. I don't reckon mine would get anywhere near 33mpg (US) at 100 mph tho, the mpg seems to drop sharply if I sit above about 70mph - I don't drive at 100mph but I reckon mine would be down towards 30mpg (imp gals) at that sort of speeds (25 mpg US). Mine does about 40mpg (imp), or 33 mpg US normally.

My 2015 is louder than my 370Z were on the highway. Not pleased with it AT ALL from that standpoint.
If it would be of any help, I'll try to measure the db reading on my diesel on my Android. It isn't any class II RTA but it gets its job done above 120hz @ +/-5 db max. I have a calibrated mic that I use for my acoustic business 65m/hr is doable here because it's around 105km/hr.

From my point of view it sounded like my old big body Toyota Corolla. It's not silent but never irritating.

Have any of you guys enjoyed the G-vectoring system? It works well for me. It doesn't feel invasive.

If it's any help... my late 2014 top spec 2.2 diesel AWD auto (it's called Sports Nav this side of the pond) gets about 400 miles to a tank before it gets too low, driving 'normal/nice'. If you were to run the tank low, driving 'quite nice', your 450 miles wouldn't be hard to achieve. I don't reckon mine would get anywhere near 33mpg (US) at 100 mph tho, the mpg seems to drop sharply if I sit above about 70mph - I don't drive at 100mph but I reckon mine would be down towards 30mpg (imp gals) at that sort of speeds (25 mpg US). Mine does about 40mpg (imp), or 33 mpg US normally.

Hmmm...seems like I need to just wait until it's here in the flesh and #'s start showing up on Fuelly before I jump to conclusions, then.

^Probably not of much use 105km/hr is what unob does at night on windy wet back roads evidently! 140/150km is where he's living on the highways by him so I suggest S560 as the antidote.
377 miles last tank and only jammed 13.1 in her- onboard mpg was spot on @28.8
Onboard range was giving me ~12 more miles or something but clearly 40-50 were safely possible (I top up so I can't imagine I didn't have @2 gallons still)

Last edited:
^Probably not of much use 105km/hr is what unob does at night on windy wet back roads evidently! 140/150km is where he's living on the highways by him so I suggest S560 as the antidote.
377 miles last tank and only jammed 13.1 in her- onboard mpg was spot on @28.8
Onboard range was giving me ~12 more miles or something but clearly 40-50 were safely possible (I top up so I can't imagine I didn't have @2 gallons still)

Correct. Speed limits in my locale are 60-85. This is why the diesel appeals so much, having read a few reviews of it beating 30mpg at 80+. WIll wait and see though.

It's not a quiet car. Changing the tires made a difference, taking it to sort of tolerable, but on the freeway it's loud. I didn't notice any difference in the 2016.5 from my 2015 but the 2017 is definitely quieter.

The pre-2017 CX-5 in most reports has anywhere between 69-70 DB at 70 MPH. That was identical to the Rouge, Rav4, CR-V and Forester at the time. I came from a CR-V and the CX-5 seemed quieter to me.

Back