US Diesel's big splash introduction

In your situation, I would probably buy the correct oil and filter online and take it to an independent mechanic. Or take it, and a 6 pack, to a friends house who has a garage and tools.
Once a year shouldn't be a big deal. The quick change places will assuredly not stock the correct oil.

The dealer only charges $20ish if you bring your own stuff, and you KNOW they KNOW what they are doing, and if they mess it up, they are on the hook a lot harder than Jiffylube or Uncle Snuffy.

The dealer only charges $20ish if you bring your own stuff, and you KNOW they KNOW what they are doing, and if they mess it up, they are on the hook a lot harder than Jiffylube or Uncle Snuffy.
Usually dealers never allow customers in their shop. So whether they are putting your oil or from barrel you'll never know. I have heard recommendations where customers said to dealer to keep empty bottles back in car but 1 dealer I know, its mechanic told me they made a killing last year when they:
1. Advised customer to buy the venerable Toyota syn.
2. The dealer part store had an unbeatable price.
3. Customer bought it then and there and gave to shop.
4. Shop sent it back to parts.
5. Showed and kept the empty bottles - customer satisfied.
6. Shop explained to customer laws regarding disposal of used/un-used oil.
7. Now that the customer's satisfied, 99% agreed for shop to throw away the bottles.
8. Shop mechanic threw the "used and empty" bottles into a well marked and highly visible disposal bin.
9. And the cycle is continued.................

Usually dealers never allow customers in their shop. So whether they are putting your oil or from barrel you'll never know. I have heard recommendations where customers said to dealer to keep empty bottles back in car but 1 dealer I know, its mechanic told me they made a killing last year when they:
1. Advised customer to buy the venerable Toyota syn.
2. The dealer part store had an unbeatable price.
3. Customer bought it then and there and gave to shop.
4. Shop sent it back to parts.
5. Showed and kept the empty bottles - customer satisfied.
6. Shop explained to customer laws regarding disposal of used/un-used oil.
7. Now that the customer's satisfied, 99% agreed for shop to throw away the bottles.
8. Shop mechanic threw the "used and empty" bottles into a well marked and highly visible disposal bin.
9. And the cycle is continued.................

Man, I really don't think the dealer exists to steal my oil that I bring in. Now, one time they messed up and used their oil vs. mine. They offered to drain it out and use my oil, at no charge, and I declined and said it would be fine. I really just don't live in fear of these things. I mean, how do you know that while you are at the dealer they aren't pissing in the gas tank? Or stabbing a tire with an ice-pick? Or...? I just...really?

*random thoughts*

How far could a Miata Skyactiv-D 2.0 travel between fill-ups

Does this even exist?
No, and it never should exist.
The Miata is all about a fun and no frills roadster and I just don't see a SkyActiv-D motor being able to cross off rule #1 of building a proper MX-5. FUN.
It just wouldn't be the same without a peppy little 4 cylinder that can be quite rev happy when you want it to be and likes to be pushed to the upper range of the RPM band.
woudl it have great low end torque and amazing fuel mileage?
yeah probably but those 2 things have never been what made the Miata so successful.

I will however take a Mazdaspeed MX-5 any day.

now back to our regularly scheduled CX-5 programming.

Don't forget that some of BMWs best performing engines are diesels. A lightweight sports with a torquey diesel could be quite something.

No but it should.

No, and it never should exist.
The Miata is all about a fun and no frills roadster and I just don't see a SkyActiv-D motor being able to cross off rule #1 of building a proper MX-5. FUN.
It just wouldn't be the same without a peppy little 4 cylinder that can be quite rev happy when you want it to be and likes to be pushed to the upper range of the RPM band.
woudl it have great low end torque and amazing fuel mileage?
yeah probably but those 2 things have never been what made the Miata so successful.

I will however take a Mazdaspeed MX-5 any day.

If I am not mistaken, BMW/Audi etc offered diesels for their convertibles. So it can happen but I doubt Mazda will do it

now back to our regularly scheduled CX-5 programming.

Yes and in more news for the diesel:

From 2020, Mazda will introduce its next-generation SkyActiv-D engine. The second-generation diesel engine will further improve on the current generation, with better fuel economy, lower emissions, and more torque.

Source: Mazda outlines next-generation technology plan

I looked up the sound in-cabin for the 2017 vs. 2015 vs. Grand Jeep Cherokee. The GJC and 2017 are both coming in in the 65dB range at 70mph cruise (The Jeep maintains this up to 85mph, btw...dunno about CX5), and my 2015 is like 70dB. That's why this thing sucks so much and seems so bad and low quality on anything but back-roads.

That coupled with all these foreigners to America getting 35+ combined mpg is really making me want to go with a 2017/2018 CX5 D as soon as I find one pre-owned (I refuse to buy a new CUV. I just cannot justify that.) It actually seems more and more like a car I'd LIKE.

Last edited:
I looked up the sound in-cabin for the 2017 vs. 2015 vs. Grand Jeep Cherokee. The GJC and 2017 are both coming in in the 65dB range at 70mph cruise (The Jeep maintains this up to 85mph, btw...dunno about CX5), and my 2015 is like 70dB. That's why this thing sucks so much and seems so bad and low quality on anything but back-roads.

That coupled with all these foreigners to America getting 35+ combined mpg is really making me want to go with a 2017/2018 CX5 D as soon as I find one pre-owned (I refuse to buy a new CUV. I just cannot justify that.) It actually seems more and more like a car I'd LIKE.

I'd say give it 3-6 months after it's been released to find a nice CX-5 diesel :)

I'd say give it 3-6 months after it's been released to find a nice CX-5 diesel :)

Agreed. I've just gotten to the point where I am more and more viewing this thing as a POS above 50mph. It's starting to agitate my spirit. No good. I think the CX5D 2017/2018 will fix all of my negative feelings towards it.

The 33mpg doing 100mph was the deal-sealer for me. I should be getting AT LEAST 35mpg on long road trips at that rate. Do you know how convenient that is compared to the 22-27mpg that I currently get driving across the Southern states? That's 455 miles to fill-up (assuming I fill up at 2gal remaining, and the tanks are the same size at 15) vs. 280-350mi until fill-up! Also, assuming diesel averages .20 higher than gasoline, and regular hovers around 2.20ish, that is $102 to drive from my house, to San Antonio with the Diesel, vs. $122 for the same trip in the gasoline car. Round-trip.

So not only is it more convenient, but it will save me $20 each time I make the trip, which, if we factor 40k mile tire life, will save $533 over the life of the tires, which means it will very nearly pay for new tires for itself every time they are due.

Ultimately though, what this boils down to, is the vehicle isn't an underpowered rattle-can of a POS above 50mph like the pre-2017, and current 2017 gas-engine models are, and I will be happier, which is really what it boils down to, lol!

Last edited:
Agreed. I've just gotten to the point where I am more and more viewing this thing as a POS above 50mph. It's starting to agitate my spirit. No good. I think the CX5D 2017/2018 will fix all of my negative feelings towards it.

Maybe take one for a test drive once its released so you can get confirmation before you go down the path of purchase

Back