Unfortunate situation, new owner... What to do??!

Nice thing is that you are effectively starting from brand new, so it's yours to screw up. Or not. Nothing to be nervous about, just do your due dillegence and if you mod, do it properly and in the correct order.

Yeah I am happy about that, my wonderful girlfriend got me the Cobb SRI for Christmas so I have that to install, but it won't be going on until the warranty is up and I have money for the upgraded CDFP and either a Hypertech or AccessPORT/custom tune. My focus is going to be on cosmetic upgrades and maintaining the car.

Last edited:
Well I just got my car back this morning from the dealership, after replacing the clutch and flywheel along with just about everything under the hood. It's a night and day difference (obviously) but I'm very impressed so far with how the car drives. 500 mile break in before I can have some fun with it!

Still waiting to pick up my car, also replacing the clutch and flywheel... holy expensive!! I went to the dealership to see how things were progressing and to get a good look at the failed components too. Cylinder #3 had a softball sized hole about 4" down from the top of the block, looks like coolant entered the cyllinder and that was that. I requested that the transmission fluid be serviced as well. Otherwise the car is spotless throughout, just a bit skeptical about driving and upgrading parts though, after all, this will be the third engine.

Previous owner didn't know wtf he was doing. The motor is plenty strong, but even a bulletproof motor can be blown by a fucktard.

Just mod it right and you won't have any problems.

Yeah I'm going to take my time with modifications. I have a Cobb SRI already, should I wait to get an AccessPORT and upgraded CDFP before I install it?

If you can hold out, I would suggest doing the fuel pump and an AP. It's not an inexpensive pair, but it really has become the best, safest first mod. The fuel pumps on the ms3 just do not have the holding power.

Ok cool, after reading up on things these past few weeks that's what I'm going to do. Probably choosing to do the internals for the fuel pump, seems adequate and less costly.

My opinion, taken for what it's worth.
A straight SRI is not going to add enough airflow to tax the stock fuel system. The factory airbox is crap, but the difference is not enough cause a problem. Have you ever heard of people getting fuel cut with just an SRI and a CBE? No you haven't.

The bigger issue is making sure the MAF meter is properly sized and reading accurately so it doesn't lean out the motor. The COBB unit from what I understand significantly reduces inlet restriction for the motor, has proper metering, utilizes air straightening fins like stock, and allows a power increase safely on an otherwise stock motor.

Personally I'd be a bit scared to run it given your situation and series of events, but I'd probably get the nerve after a few months running stock. Especially come spring.

Forgot to mention - glad to hear you have a new shortblock under warranty and welcome to the fold!

I'll think about it, I have a 12,000 mile/12 month warranty on the items that were replaced, so I'm waiting regardless. Thanks Wurf! *internet high five*

Naw, you're fine throwing a short ram on stock tune.
You really don't need the upgraded fuel pump until you mess with the test pipe/downpipe. At that point you'll want the access port as well.

****************.org is also a great resource for info.

Hello all... after getting the car back, I was told to follow a 500 mile low rpm (under 3000), low speed break in, which went successfully. I had the dealership do the oil change yesterday. After leaving, I gradually increased my shift points to around 4-4500 rpm, half throttle at most. The car has a noticeable vibration under light acceleration and under deceleration tha I find to be quite annoying. Service writer said that the mounts are stock and in proper working/good condition. Perhaps I'm being paranoid, but this being a new engine, clutch, flywheel, fluids and a million other small things, I'm concerned. I also feel a slight stumble under part throttle below 2800 rpm that was also present with the failed engine. Any suggestions???

I would imagine they are just going to tell you that cant notice it but it is best to make them aware sooner than later.

yup
go back, grab the service writer & take 'em for a ride and make them aware of the problems

That was my plan for my day off tomorrow. Any vibration like this that I've experienced in the past has been exhaust, drivetrain mounting, or engine internal related, so I'm very unhappy.

yep, there should be no vibration.

passenger motor mount has a tendency to pop and dump all the oil in it (yes, it's an oil-filled mount) so that could be an issue, or they just didn't balance the tires or something stupid. But on a stock car, there should be no NVH.

yep, there should be no vibration.

passenger motor mount has a tendency to pop and dump all the oil in it (yes, it's an oil-filled mount) so that could be an issue, or they just didn't balance the tires or something stupid. But on a stock car, there should be no NVH.

That's what the service writer said he would have inspected yesterday morning, and told me that the mount in question was "fine". This car is starting to lose any appeal that it ever had as far as I'm concerned.

Service writers frankly don't know s*** about cars, usually they have zero mechanical knowledge. I'm surprised the dude knew it was an oil-filled mount.

Regardless, there should be zero NVH in a totally stock car. If they refuse to fix it, I'd say "lets go compared to a brand new speed3 and see if it has the same NVH, and if it does, fine. If it doesnt, you fix my car or give me the new speed3."

After a trip back to the dealer, a road test with the mechanic and some more miles on the car, I'm having some more issues. As far as the "vibration" as I call it, the mechanic said it seems to be the exhaust system's lack of flex joints (stock downpipe, GHL cat-back)... I'm not 100% sure that's the issue. I'm also noticing an issue that I had before the engine failed, it's almost like this car isn't meant to be enjoyable unless I'm cruisng down the parkway or staring at it in my parking spot. FML. I experience a "hesitation" or lack of power under certain types of driving, mostly below 3500 rpm, light to medium throttle. It's rather annoying because I have to drive around it by either accelerating harder or letting off and shifting into a lower gear when possible. I don't feel like I should be having these problems as of now, and I'm sick of 1 hour round trips to the dealer. The car just isn't smooth... at all. I have some ideas to trouble shoot, but why? Forgive the wall of text...

If this is your first turbo, you may not be accustomed to the lack of power when the turbo is "off boost." Nothing is going to fix that. A 140 cubic inch engine without boost is going to be anemic. Even though our little turbo spools up quickly and at lower rpm than larger ones, it is a turbo.

There is simply very little power below 2,800-3000 rpm. You are not producing enough exhaust volume and velocity to spin the turbo enough to produce high boost, and, frankly, it is probably not safe for the engine to build high boost at rpm that low. Some have even suggested that a steady diet of wide open or agressive throttle below 3,000 rpm has been linked to bent connecting rods and engine failure. I'm not sure that is true, but dropping down a gear lets the turbo spool and eliminates any of those issues, which do seem to be common to this engine for all of us.

Trying to accelerate sharply below that rpm range is going to be disappointing, may cause some bucking or jerkiness, and will not be productive. It will also contribute to fouling your plugs. If you want to accelerate, as in pulling out to pass, on a turbo car and your rpm is below 3,000 rpm, you need to drop down one gear before getting aggressive with the throttle. That just comes with the car -- all turbo cars, IMHO.

And yes, if you don't have a flex joint or good isolated rubber exhaust hangers, that could account for the vibratin.

Last edited:
Back