Unfortunate situation, new owner... What to do??!

Someone probably stocked it out and sold it. When I had an issue and had to take it in to the dealer they just wanted records of everything I've done. Which was 3 oil changes. I went in with a intake and exhaust. Took off my TIP and race pipe... obviously.

People don't believe me when I tell them "plausible dependability". The dealer more than likely notified the rep for that area and/or Mazda North America. Fighting an up-hill battle at this point. Extreme legal action is necessary. But in what for I have no idea. Where'd you buy it from?

Wouldn't the dealership notice these parts before they sold you the car? That's downright thievery right there!!!! They should have, at the very least, told you there would be no warranty based on "non Mazda approved parts"....Not to mention disclosing the engine replacement before you purchased the vehicle. ****** assholes...Pardon my language!

Wouldn't the dealership notice these parts before they sold you the car? That's downright thievery right there!!!! They should have, at the very least, told you there would be no warranty based on "non Mazda approved parts"....Not to mention disclosing the engine replacement before you purchased the vehicle. ****** assholes...Pardon my language!

Well said, however remember the dealer replaced the motor, so they were the ones who installed ( or left installed ) the non-mazda parts, clamps, and left, or failed to notice the loose exhaust bolt. The dealer is faced with eating the cost of a new motor or sticking the customer with it if MNA won't warranty the failed engine.

MNA doesn't care and can't determine who modded the motor or when the mods were done.
Going after MNA legally will likely cost you more than a salvage pull-out motor just to get started with a lawyer and there's not much of a case to be made with them. Going after the dealer is a better case IMO, but again, expensive just to get started. Maybe the state BBB would be interested in your situation?

Staying sub'd to this one. Hope it works out for you somehow.

Thank you everyone. I started the appeal process last night. I'm going to the dealer tomorrow to sit down and talk to the service manager. The reasons listed above are only things the dealer tech noticed upon inspection. I didn't authorize a tear down because I would have to pay out of pocket, just to hear the same answer, which was "we may not warranty this because of...." Regardless of clamps being different or previous modifications, whatever they may have been, I had nothing to do with them. The service manager also stated that there were no codes pending in the computer. I would think that if the issues listed above had no effect on the car then they basically can't prove anything. We all know that engine failure isn't based on hose clamps being a different style or color. There were no exhaust leaks, no boost leaks, NO DRIVEABILITY ISSUES AT ALL before the engine failed. Legal action is a last resort, good lawyer and small claims court. I just want my car repaired and returned back to me. I'm prepared for the worst, hoping for the best.

This is why I'm no longer a service adviser. I hate s*** like this. Issues in policy every day. Seems like they were making it up as they went along.

Hearing this makes me not want to mod my car at all. I have taken my car to my local dealership, not a speed dealership, for oil changes and left my mods on. I did ask the techs there if they have seen many speeds and the one guy said that was his first time seeing one but they have yet to mention aftermarket parts.

Dealer just called me, cylinder #3 failed its compression test, by a lot. The information requested by Mazda N/A technical has been forwarded, so I should hear from them tomorrow if all goes well. I will keep the thread updated.

Wow, really sorry to hear this... horrible situation. My thoughts are that if you bought it from that dealership, aren't they liable to disclose or remove any of the non-standard parts before they sell it to you?

Wow, really sorry to hear this... horrible situation. My thoughts are that if you bought it from that dealership, aren't they liable to disclose or remove any of the non-standard parts before they sell it to you?

Please quote that and throw that in their face.

I purchased the car from a reputable used car lot, with a clean car fax, as is, no warranty. The car was purchased by the original owner from the dealership it is at now for the warranty issue.

Mazda is going ahead with the warranty. I'll be getting a brand new long block as well as a few other small items that should be replaced with the engine coming out. Thanks to all for the advice and support. HUGE relief!

no s***.

Wow & Congrats!

Just used up a good chunk of karma points there, and go MNA for the step up. I honestly didn't think they would

Sad news, the dealership is denying warranty as of this afternoon for the following reasons...
1) Air inlet tube clamps are other than Mazda OEM
2) Air box hold down missing
3) Exhaust nut on manifold to turbo missing
4) Clamp for factory bypass valve is other than Mazda OEM
5) Aftermarket boost gauge installed by previous owner, was not hooked and functioning
The car had no driveability issues or signs of anything needing to be repaired or replaced when I was having my mechanic change the oil and due a brief visual inspection. I have started the appeal process for warranty coverage through Mazda North America becuase none of these things indicate a direct correlation to engine failure, but, according to the dealership the show "signs of modification or intent to alter the vehicle's stock equiptment". I am sick to my stomach over this, becuase the engine has been replaced at this dealership before I took ownership and the car is still under 60/60k powertrain warranty.

well, I guess there is no sense believing the falacy I could "go back to stock"
prior o a dealer visit, I lost the keyring they gave me

Last edited:
Still waiting to pick up my car, also replacing the clutch and flywheel... holy expensive!! I went to the dealership to see how things were progressing and to get a good look at the failed components too. Cylinder #3 had a softball sized hole about 4" down from the top of the block, looks like coolant entered the cyllinder and that was that. I requested that the transmission fluid be serviced as well. Otherwise the car is spotless throughout, just a bit skeptical about driving and upgrading parts though, after all, this will be the third engine.

Back