Underbody noise insulation materials

bigtex

:
17 CX-5 GT 14 CX-5 GT (sold)
Just thought I would post a pick from underneath when doing my first oil change. Looks like noise insulation has been added to the underbody down both sides. It's a formed, felt-like material running down either side of the exhaust. Pretty sure my 2014 did not have this but I can't remember now.

attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• IMG_2194.JPG
    IMG_2194.JPG
    263.5 KB · Views: 4,111
  • IMG_2196.JPG
    IMG_2196.JPG
    432.7 KB · Views: 1,151
Thanks for posting those pictures.

I can confirm the 2014 does not have that fiber material. The panels in the 2014 are just bare plastic.

I recently replaced both panels on one side of CX-5 after someone in the family drove over something that ripped a huge hole out of them. Now I wish I would have asked for the newer parts as they look the same.

Thanks for posting those pictures.

I can confirm the 2014 does not have that fiber material. The panels in the 2014 are just bare plastic.

I recently replaced both panels on one side of CX-5 after someone in the family drove over something that ripped a huge hole out of them. Now I wish I would have asked for the newer parts as they look the same.
Uhh...I seriously doubt that second gen underbody panels are interchangeable with gen one parts!

Thanks for posting pics bigtex. I'm surprised no one has mentioned this before. It's obviously one of the ways Mazda came up wit to deal with road noise complaints on gen one CX-5s. I'll bet it's the same material they've used in rear wheel wells for years.

Uhh...I seriously doubt that second gen underbody panels are interchangeable with gen one parts!

Don't be too sure. The panels appear to have very similar if not identical attachment points. I doubt Mazda redesigned the floor pans and underside between gens, but who knows? I would gladly mod a fiber panel to fit in order to tone down the road noise on my 2014. Too late now as these are installed. (yupnope)

attachment.php

CX-5 Underbody Panels.jpg

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back