Transmission shifting behavior AWD

russiankid

:
2016 CX-5 Sport AWD
I've noticed that when my CX-5 shifts into 2nd from 1st, once it actually shifts, there is a slightly delay of engagement. It feels as if when it shifts, there is a one second delay and then the gear fully engages. It is noticeable on the tach as when it shifts, RPM's drop, then a second later the tach drops a tad more. I've noticed this similar behavior on the model that I test drove, but just curious if others have noticed this or am I just being to picky about small things?

The computer shifts differently depending upon the specifics.

Are you talking about a downshift initiated manually or one caused by a major depression of the accelerator or a downshift due to pulling up to a stop?

Please be specific about the specifics (speed, etc.), your actions and the way the transmission responds.

This happens in normal driving conditions, roughly 10-20mph (or less) and under 3k RPM. This happens on acceleration not deceleration and done in automatic mode, not manual. The amount of throttle input is maybe 1/4 throttle, if that. If I do a fast acceleration i.e. half throttle or more, there is no delay or anything.

Are you talking about a downshift initiated manually or one caused by a major depression of the accelerator or a downshift due to pulling up to a stop?
Please be specific about the specifics (speed, etc.), your actions and the way the transmission responds.
"I've noticed that when my CX-5 shifts into 2nd from 1st..."
Hellooo Mike?!

You may be feeling the torque converter (^^^Ed!) disengage in first gear at about 5 mph. This is the only time the converter operates and it's there to provide smooth starts from a standstill.

I've noticed that when my CX-5 shifts into 2nd from 1st, once it actually shifts, there is a slightly delay of engagement. It feels as if when it shifts, there is a one second delay and then the gear fully engages. It is noticeable on the tach as when it shifts, RPM's drop, then a second later the tach drops a tad more. I've noticed this similar behavior on the model that I test drove, but just curious if others have noticed this or am I just being to picky about small things?

The CX-5 transmission shifts very similar to a manual which is one of the things I like about it. The shift between 1 and 2 has the biggest difference in shaft speeds of any shift (just like in a manual) and I imagine you are noticing the slight delay the computer allows for the gears to reach the same speed before they engage. But if it really is a full second delay you might want to have your dealer look at it. It should be less than that.

One of the first things I noticed with the 2.5, aside from the increase in power over my old 2.0, was the manual shifting did not act as quickly as the 2.0.

The CX-5 does not use the tq converter, so there are two possibilities: a harsh, violent shift, or one that is properly modulated like a manual. There is GOING to be a touch of lag, just like a very shift but smooth shift in a manual. Look at the gear ratios. 1 and 2 are more separate (more speed differential to cover) than others. Thus more care/time.

The CX-5 does not use the tq converter, so there are two possibilities: a harsh, violent shift, or one that is properly modulated like a manual. There is GOING to be a touch of lag, just like a very shift but smooth shift in a manual. Look at the gear ratios. 1 and 2 are more separate (more speed differential to cover) than others. Thus more care/time.
Wrong...(if you mean it does not have one)

The CX5 AT does have a torque converter (thank you paris1), and it can lock in every gear to act as a manual. Ed

I have the 2016 CX-3 AWD and it does the same thing. Driving my wife's Honda CR-V AWD acceleration doesn't drop while the auto-trans shift gears. It does feel like Mazda is "smoothing" the shift from 1st to 2nd gear under low throttle; increasing the throttle does stops it.

The CX-5 transmission shifts very similar to a manual .

I disagree. On my AWD 2013, the shifting is nothing like shifting in manual. Some examples:

at 25-30 mph the default is to be in 5th gear when coming out of an offramp from the highway onto another road. This makes the cabin shutter and produce a low-frequency resonance. The power is poor. On these two curves, I have to manually switch and downshift myself to 3rd.

On the 4th gear auto, when slowing down faster than normal due to some da in front of me not paying attention, the 4th gear "ramps down" in RPMs before it switches to 3rd when the gas is not even engaged. This is strange behavior as it doesn't do that in any other gear.

The gearing across the board is strange. This gearing is set up poorly imo. The power/torque cycle peaks are avoided when re-engaging the drivetrain from a neutral, etc.

These are facts, at least on my car. There are more issues I dislike but overall the car is a nice car. I just don't think this car (when in automatic) shifts like a manual or even drives like a manual...unless you ARE in manual mode.

There are more issues I dislike but overall the car is a nice car. I just don't think this car (when in automatic) shifts like a manual or even drives like a manual...unless you ARE in manual mode.

Ha! There is not an automatic transmission out there that shifts like a manual in terms of gear selection because, with a manual, gear selection is determined by the driver and every driver selects differently.

But I was talking about the feel of each shift. The CX-5 has a very direct feeling and the torque converter doesn't contribute the "slushiness" typically associated with automatics because the torque converter is locked out at all speeds above 5 mph.

It is possible, however, to become more in-tune with how your vehicle selects gears and then modify the timing and speed of throttle application to get the vehicle to select the gear you want, when you want it. The transmission is very responsive this way but it cannot do it without appropriate input from the driver.

Last edited:
It is possible, however, to become more in-tune with how your vehicle selects gears and then modify the timing and speed of throttle application to get the vehicle to select the gear you want, when you want it. The transmission is very responsive this way but it cannot do it without appropriate input from the driver.
Amen to that brother! In my "idle moments" behind the wheel I often take pleasure in "playing" the throttle and brake (particularly up and down hills) to get the trans into the gear I think it should be in without resorting to manual mode (which I find I use less and less over time). Yet I see posts on this forum time and again that clearly indicate many owners don't have a clue how the SkyActiv 6AT works and what its capabilities are. Pity.

Last edited:
...it can lock in every gear to act as a manual. Ed

...And it's very aggressive about it too; it latches quickly and holds it longer. The engine seems to lug rolling about at 10 or 15 MPH under light acceleration because the TQ's locked. I think that's what leads some to claim it's has dual clutch AT transmission. Doubtless this is possible because it pulls very good torque even down to low RPM's.

...And it's very aggressive about it too; it latches quickly and holds it longer. The engine seems to lug rolling about at 10 or 15 MPH under light acceleration because the TQ's locked. I think that's what leads some to claim it's has dual clutch AT transmission. Doubtless this is possible because it pulls very good torque even down to low RPM's.

If you are in 1st gear the engine is not even close to lugging at 10 mph. I know this because I use the manual shift mode and 1st gear to climb the steepest roughest sections of rocky trails. It does great.

Back