transmission problems

J'sMazda

my 03 protege 5 has 80k miles and just last week my transmission started having problems. i was driving and it jumped from 4th to 3rd don't know whats wrong. i had a transmission guy look at it and he ran a computer check on the tranny. It picks up nothing anybody know whats wrong with it

You didn't by any chance hit the overdrive button while driving, did you?
Cause that's what it would do, according to the manual.
By default, overdrive is enabled. There is a small button on the knob, you can disable O/D and you would get a yellow light on the dash saying O/D. When overdrive is disabled, car only goes 1-2-3. When enabled (default) car goes 1-2-3-4 so try pressing it again & see what happens.
There have been reports of O/D buttons with faulty contacts.

ok, hate to be the one to break it to ya, but the syncros r gone n so is the clips that hold 3rd n 4th in place on the shaft, this is the problem that i was told it was here in s.fla by 5 diff trans guys, including a place that does all my work www.japtrix.com, ne who, when the clip broke it slipped into third right n neutral became third gear n all other gates r closed except when u turn the car off right, my quick beleive it or not if the car is needed still daily, .... start it up in third gear then find a open area that u can speed in 3rd 20-40mph then get up to a steady speed n hang a hard left or right, i mean hard no takin it easy here, if u dont hear the tires skreeching u aint doin it hard enough, but while makin the turns hurry up while all the g's have the car pent to that side n slide it into 2 gear the gates will open up, im 100% positive of this, i did it, the end result is once u get it in to 2nd you can never switch to 3rd or 4th gear or u will get stuck, if u do repeat process, if not u will have 1st,2nd,5th n reverse, notice that u can now switch right into those gears, so u wanna build up ur rpm's while in 2nd 4,500 plus or accelerate lil harder n switch to 5th from second take ur time on gettin up to speed from there, or clutch will become an issue fast, also watch ur down shifting to i will repeat no 3rd or 4th, but this is the same issue im having n now i want the 03.5 mazdaspeed protege trans that comes wit the correct machined shift fork n gear clips n shaft n overall a better well built trans oem, n higher ratio's too, so thats what im tryin to do unfortunate u almost gotta wait till u see one wrecked n totaled from the rear to run to the scene or junk yard n pull it quick, probe guys also hunt this tranny down too, n if u call lookin for one make sure u can readly identify it came out of a mzdspd-p not just a regular one or mp5, word to the wise, p5 owners really gotta beef it up when it comes to the trany both 5spd n auto. but i hope i helped on sheddin light, stick wit me bro as we both r goin thru this pain in the azz, oh n if u call mazda lmao dont waist ur time they will say driver error n that its ur fault, but mazda is more than well aware of the crappy gears n shaft n shift fork that were all machined .30 to thin n yes it makes a hell of a diff, i argued wit wpd mazda for 7 days n refused to pick up my car or return the rental n they hooked me up they nto only paid for it but they left it up to me to find the aftermarket stuff n they paid for it n installed it, but this was before i learned of the 3rd gear problem that was for the shift fork n shaft b4, but ne way bro hit me ne questions at all im findin answers constantly

well my car is auto so i don't know if thats whats going on but am thinking of getting a rx8 just 2 get out of this problem. but do you think its the same problem even with the auto tranny

We really need to clarify something. What kind of tranny do you have?
There are 3 types:
1. Manual - the one with the clutch pedal and stick
2. Automatic classic - the one where you can move the shifter to P-R-N-D-2-1, in a straight line
3. Tiptronic (or how they call it..) - the one that you can move the shifter to P-R-N-D-M and when in M you can shift gears by yourself. The shifter moves in a zig-zag pattern, not a straight line.

I am inclined to belive that you have the Tiptronic that should look like this one http://www.credit911.ca/Image2/10103a.jpg in which case, please tell us what position were you using. D or M?

i have the tiptronic one but it doesn't matter where you have it on M or just Drive it will down shift on drive from 4th to 3rd and on M it will just try to down shift but it of course it won't

Latest posts

Back