Trade-Up? 2021 CX-5 or 2023 CX-5 (or CX-50)?

I would probably get the 2021 model. They might have good deals so they sell most of them before the new model comes out, assuming that most people will want the latest and greatest model once they are on the lots.

#2, I realized how easy it is to sell a car privately after selling mine and then my nieces. Make sure to get cash or a money order, no personal check, before signing the title, and then un-register the car at motor vehicles so you don't get tickets if the new owner never registers it.
#3, most likely one would use cash from their bank account to make the purchase and the money currently gets 0 percent interest in the bank. I wouldn't take money out of a SM fund that has a positive return, to buy a car that has a negative return.

The thread was starting to become a discussion on financing and the mechanics of purchasing etc not to mention the stock market...All that is fine as along as that is the topic. I'm providing a friendly reminder to keep threads on topic as much as possible so that they remain as useful as possible for OPs and anyone else with the same topics/questions in mind. Please keep that in mind from now on, thanks.

You can PM me if you have further thoughts on the above matter.

Now let's get back to the topic which @sm1ke recently clarified...

Thanks!
I don't envy the thankless task of being a moderator, but I think discussion of financial strategy and wisdom in car buying is germane to this thread topic. It speaks to the downside of trading cars after 2 years or 4 vs. hanging onto the original - the options the OP was considering.

From the tone of the original post, my advice is: do what makes you happy - which seems to be turnover. His values when it comes to car buying are probably very different from mine - but he asked.

Okay, also back to original post. It's "pull the trigger" on the 2021 not "pull the plug". More aptly he'd be pulling the plug on his 2019.

Personally, if I waited for the 2023 generation then I'd wait for the 2025 model year. I'd never buy a car in the first two years of a new generation. This is not a slam on Mazda--it a general principle. I prefer other buyers to be the beta testers, working out the bugs for a couple of years.

Actually, if the styling of the 2023 is noticeably different, closeout deals on the 2022 should be pretty sweet assuming there are enough microchips, and thereby auto production, to go around by then then.

Last edited by a moderator:
Personally, if I waited for the 2023 generation then I'd wait for the 2025 model year. I'd never buy a car in the first two years of a new generation. This is not a slam on Mazda--it a general principle. I prefer other buyers to be the beta testers, working out the bugs for a couple of years.

Actually, if the styling of the 2023 is noticeably different, closeout deals on the 2022 should be pretty sweet assuming there are enough microchips, and thereby auto production, to go around by then then.
2017 seems to be aging well

I do agree on this.

First year of a new generation usually has more teething problems than subsequent years. It really also depends on the utility the family receives from the current car. The 2017 Legacy is a comfortable, if utilitarian car, roomy and adequately powered for most, which is actually, how we would have describer our 2014 CX5....If the Legacy fills the bill, then continue to use it, waiting until 2024 or 25 when the inevitable bugs are wrung out of the new CX-5/CX50.

If you want a new car, or need a new car with different configuration that is a different story, then consider your options, an new CX5 or something else.

Parenthetically, we test drove a new 2016 Legacy back in the day, and decided it was not for us, opting instead for a Mazda 6.

This thread is couple months old now but just wanted to add my 2 cents worth. I used to be the owner of a 2014 CX-5/GT, (owned) then traded in on a 4-year lease on a 2018 CX-5/GT but our local Mazda dealer called us in just a few days ago and talked us into a new 2021 CX-5/GT (again leased) for less monthly payment than we're presently making on 2018! Who says that when the 2023 roll out, we might end up trading up again.

All this to say that if you're satisfied with your present ride, then keep it. Or pick up a leftover new 2020 or new 2021 now and possibly trade up to a 2023 model later on. I spoke about this with the Mazda rep and surprisingly enough, he suggested NOT to rush out to purchase/lease any new 1st edition of any vehicle but to wait a year or 2 until the "new car" bugs get sorted out.

We had even enquired about Mazda's new MX-30 electric ride and he advised us to stick with a conventional CX5 for another year or 2 and then trade-in if we are so inclined.

We have leased/bought first-year models for years. I have a '17 Audi A4 (first year model) that has had no issues. I leased, financed and then bought it outright. I bought an '09 Audi A5 (first year) and had no issues. We leased a '17 CX-5 and pretty much rode out the lease with no issues. We now have a '20 CX-30 w/ 10k miles and no issues. I think the fact that automakers are using so many tried-and-true components from older models tweaked for newer models has eliminated this "old school" myth. I'd say go for it. We will most likely trade either the CX-30 for the '23 CX-5 if we like it. Life is short.

I decided not to wait for a refreshed CX-5 and just went ahead and purchased the 2021 model. I would have waited for year 2 of the next refresh which would put it a few years out.

The 2017-2021 CX-5 seems to have aged well. I think it has the best looking interior and exterior of all the compact SUVs I looked at. Also the best handling out of the ones I test drove.

Back