Trade in 2010 CX-9 or pay 7% title ad valorem taxes?

:
2019 Mazda CX-9 Signature, Machine Grey Metallic
I moved to a different state and will need to register the CX-9 to get tags. I will have to pay the 7% title ad valorem taxes on the assessed market value of $11,825.00 for the CX-9. This amounts to $827.75.

Last year, I had just changed all the brakes (all 4 discs and pads) and installed a tow hitch. I also just replaced all 4 tires last April. As much as I'd want to keep a perfectly good paid-off vehicle, I abhor having to pay that much money in taxes. But, I also prefer not to have car payments. The idea of getting a new car is pretty cool, and I'm normally psyched about getting one. However, I enjoy our CX-9 and do feel like it's a waste to replace a perfectly good vehicle and incur new car payments. I'm thinking that the CX-9 might have a trade-in value of about $13K based on the assessed market value + title ad valorem taxes.

Sigh. I'm not sure what to do right now. What would you guys do?

That stinks about the taxes that said here is my 1 cent opinion...

Depending on the other options on your 2010 and mileage, black book shows $12,180 - $14,500 for trade. Obviously if you are trading at a mazda dealer and buying a new rig you could probably get 14 easy. So let's call it 14. Then you finance a GT or Sig you are looking at financing say 32K OTD (this is under the assumption that if you went signature you got a ~43K purchase price + taxes and fees - a GT would be a few thousand less) So the $827 in taxes, while annoying is pretty much 1 car payment and some change. So if it is a 100% financial thing, then just suck it up, pay the tax and call it a day.

Now all that said, the 2016 CX-9 is an awesome car and you would be getting one with plenty of equity into it and if you keep it for another 6 years or so like it seems you do, it's not a bad move at all assuming you don't have to finance for more than 48 or 60 months. And if you get a rate under 3% you aren't paying too much for the money.

what would I do? Drive to the mazda dealer, find a signature trim, trade and roll home happy :)

First, you picked the wrong state to move to. (boom01)

But I would suck it up if you're not ready for the payments. We didn't have one for several years and saved as if we did. When it came time for the wife's cx9 we didn't have enough to pay cash but the $20k down payment sure helped pay it off in exactly 24 months.

And honestly, we won't go with another cx9 unless they really improve in the next 6-7 years.

First, you picked the wrong state to move to. (boom01)

I moved twice now. It was the same experience in the Florida too.

But I would suck it up if you're not ready for the payments. We didn't have one for several years and saved as if we did. When it came time for the wife's cx9 we didn't have enough to pay cash but the $20k down payment sure helped pay it off in exactly 24 months.

It's not about being ready for payments, I can easily afford a new car. It's just that I feel that it would be a waste replacing one that is working perfectly fine, especially after all the new brakes, tires, and tow hitch. Although, the existing equity does go down the longer I keep it.

And honestly, we won't go with another cx9 unless they really improve in the next 6-7 years.

This. Really apprehensive about the 4-cylinder. I want to see reliability first.

Last edited:
I imagine you will have to pay 3x the $ in taxes on a new car?

I too would wait for proven reliability on Skyactiv Turbo...

Plus, you know there will be some improvements when the 2017 comes..
(scratch)

Last edited:
I really am curious about any improvements for 2017 - I can't imagine there will be a ton. Maybe a heated steering wheel (I hope) so I can buy one and swap it. I'm gonna see what it costs for aftermarket from parking sensors and camera this is what I really think they missed on.

If you have a very well kept vehicle and it is running perfect with no problems why take a chance. That said I would keep it and run it to the ground.

I imagine you will have to pay 3x the $ in taxes on a new car?

Paying taxes on a new car is expected. However, paying taxes on a vehicle that one already owns kinda rubs me the wrong way. It's double taxation.

I too would wait for proven reliability on Skyactiv Turbo...

Plus, you know there will be some improvements when the 2017 comes..
(scratch)

Yes. That's why the reluctance. My only other choice is the 2017 MDX but that's quite a bit more money and I'm not sure if the MDX is worth the premium.

If you have a very well kept vehicle and it is running perfect with no problems why take a chance. That said I would keep it and run it to the ground.

I do feel the same way. It's just that double taxation really rubs me the wrong way. I did have issues on this CX-9. The transmission was replaced at 55K under warranty. It's been running perfect since. Other than that, there hasn't been anything else.

I do feel the same way. It's just that double taxation really rubs me the wrong way.
Do you mind to tell us which state is doing this to you so that I'll try not to relocate there? ;)

I moved twice now. It was the same experience in the Florida too.

It's not about being ready for payments, I can easily afford a new car. It's just that I feel that it would be a waste replacing one that is working perfectly fine, especially after all the new brakes, tires, and tow hitch. Although, the existing equity does go down the longer I keep it.

This. Really apprehensive about the 4-cylinder. I want to see reliability first.

I guess the tax game is part of every state - just depends on the level they play it. I was trying to use the emoji to show sarcasm. I hope you didn't take that the wrong way.

As far as the - ready for payment comment. I meant exactly what you said, replacing a car with no payment for one with. If I was happy with the vehicle I would pay the tax and move on. It sucks though that you have to pay tax on something again that you've already paid tax on. Not even sure how that can be legal. The equity will go down, but this will happen with a new car as well. But this is coming from someone who drives vehicles pretty much until they die. Our current Tribute has 297,500 miles and I'm waiting until it cools off to replace as many gaskets as possible and have the a/c repaired. This will keep what should be my 'pleasure' vehicle from getting too many miles on it.

I guess the tax game is part of every state - just depends on the level they play it. I was trying to use the emoji to show sarcasm. I hope you didn't take that the wrong way.
No worries. I knew what you meant.

As far as the - ready for payment comment. I meant exactly what you said, replacing a car with no payment for one with. If I was happy with the vehicle I would pay the tax and move on. It sucks though that you have to pay tax on something again that you've already paid tax on. Not even sure how that can be legal. The equity will go down, but this will happen with a new car as well. But this is coming from someone who drives vehicles pretty much until they die. Our current Tribute has 297,500 miles and I'm waiting until it cools off to replace as many gaskets as possible and have the a/c repaired. This will keep what should be my 'pleasure' vehicle from getting too many miles on it.

I'm currently leaning this way. I'll put it off for a bit just to be certain that this what I really want to do.

Back