Traction Control Noise

wolverine_man

:
2008 Mazda3 S GT Sedan
Hey everyone,

Got my 3 about a month ago, and it's the first winter for me driving a car with traction control. I understand that my 3S GT has Dynamic Stability Control(DSC) and traction control (TSC) or something like that.

When I am taking off from a light in first gear, in the snow, my yellow traction control or DSC light comes on (not sure which one) sometimes and I get this really loud rubbing clunking noise which also has an electronic sound to it. I just wanted to make sure that this was normal when the system engages. If not, I need to get to the dealer soon.

Thanks.

Just wait until you hear the ABS kick in. Sounds like someone putting a pry-bar to the brake rotors :eek:

I'd have to say it's nothing to really worry about, but then I haven't heard what yours is doing. I've had the TCS engage a fair number of times since I got mine, and the sounds it made haven't been cause for concern.

My understanding of how the system works is that it will apply braking to whichever wheel is spinning. I'd guess it's using the ABS in some way/shape/form, explaining the clatter...

The only time you'd see a DSC light is if you push the button to disable it. Otherwise all you see is the slippery road light when it engages.
I kinda wish there was an ABS-engaged light too. I nearly $#!+ myself the first time it turned on, since it didn't seem like I was sliding...

traction control uses the ABS motor to active the brakes at a certain wheel and that is the noise you are hearing its a whole bunch of solenoids and valves opening and closing rapidly. there should be no cause for concern.

Back