Towing for newbs: Trailer brakes

You're just a bit over at 1225 lbs and you've successfully towed it, so I can see your dilemma. The 1000 lbs could be a DOT thing plus Mazda wouldn't risk giving any advice that could get them in trouble.

I don't have much experience towing but if I were to tow in the mountains I think I would want trailer brakes. I've seen people with smoke just pouring out of the brakes (and expecting flames any minute) going down some of those passes.

I guess as far as adding the brakes I would weigh the benefits against the cost, how long I planned keeping the trailer, etc. Of course you might need to consider any legal ramifications, like liability, insurance qualifications, etc.

Good points. I am going to be in mountains at times. However, the DMV rules in California say you don't need trailer brakes if your trailer is under 1500 lbs. The Mazda handbook is stricter than California law!

Woah! I'm of the impression that anything smaller than the CX-9 can tow only a maximum of 1,000 pounds. If that's not true, how can I find out what weight my '09 CX-7 can haul?

From the 2009 CX 9 manual Screen Shot 2020-09-17 at 10.00.39 PM.pngBeginning 4-14. It appears to be 2,000 lbs which INCLUDES weight of trailer and the weight of passengers and all other items loaded in the CX9. I wonder if passenger includes driver? 1,000 should be safe weight. I am sure others will help.

Back