Too lean????

bozzben

:
Mazdaspeed 6
Hi guys,i just had my Unichip remap by JDM Sam and i was wondering if i'm running too lean. At idle i read 14.7/15 on my wideband and when i'm booting at 10 psi and florring the car i go to aprox. 13.1
Is it still safe or it's too lean.
Thank's Ben

Definitely too lean for comfort. Shoot for low 12's and high 11's if you want to be on the safe side, mid 12's if you want optimal power.

idle is perfect. 13.1 is great too. its only considered too aggressive if you have a bad tune or ems and the AFR fluctuates. people like to run 11/12's because it gives them a bigger buffer in case you lean out for whatever reason.

With such a aggressive tune, I'd consider a knock light, or Safeguard. Just something in case, because it's true, you're making optimal power but the safety threshold is now very small.

Yes, that is definitely lean and no the tune is not correct if its not dipping into the 11s and 12s after 4000 RPM and WOT. This was a map load of another MSP with similar mods not a custom tune! I do not do custom mail in tunes. Map loads work most of the time, but not all the time.

Thank's guys,so i need to change the resistor on my harness!
First, why are you are running the Unichip w/o the harness fixed? You MUST fix that before running it.
13.1 is not right. Turn the boost controller off immediately!

PM me the results with set at stock boost after you fixed the harness. Do not run it on high boost anymore until you fix it and let me know what stock boost does! If it does not drop down into the 11/12 AFR on stock boost, do not boost or run the Unichip any longer, take it off immediately.

You will have to send it back to me to get it mapped again if it does not dip into the 11s/12s on stock boost since your mods and car are not working with that map. This does happen because no 2 cars are exactly alike even if you run similar mods.

The way the Unichip is supposed to work is that it will not drop the AFR down to the 12s until about after 4000 rpm when you are cruising and just go WOT all of a sudden. It's part of the open loop strategy of the stock PCM based of calculated load. Open loop only kicks in around 3000 rpm when you go WOT from a standstill in 1st gear. When you are testing the stock boost AFR, make note of when the AFR drops out of the 14.7/15 range.

Last edited:
Back