SS AFC running too lean.

Brooksie

:
2003 Mazdaspeed Protege
I recently installed the SS AFC with datalogging and I have had a huge problem with it running lean. No matter what map I use it runs way to lean. AFRs on boost start at 11.5 and creep to 15 before I either pull back or it cuts. I am running stock boost pressure. relocated MAF, FMIC, forged internals, stock downpipe and j pipe but with a 3in true straight pipe (pope DP coming soon) Its like the afc is having the opposite affect that I need. Any info will be great. And I might need to play with the settings a little but its almost as if the afc has made everything worse. But for now I have only downloaded maps from the library.

The R4 software can be tricky to use, I haven't done it in a while but you have to 'write to ECU' and then go back and ensure the map is correct after you install it to make sure the map is on there. Even with the super stock map it will run fine, still a little on the rich side.

Well the problem ended up being a bad uego sensor. But now the only issue is my r4 is showing an inaccurate engine rpm. it says 600 at idle instead of 800 and about 2700 at 4k. Any ideas?

Hmm, that may have to do with the settings in the software. Have you changed the settings? Should be 4 cyl/4 stroke in the engine options, system settings should be vacuum/pressure and programmable signal controller, output settings should be pressure 0 to 30 psi.... in the first drop down, aux fuel pump with abortive start time, Output B should be over pressure, and output C is injA and B over/latched. Aux input settings are for connecting a Wideband, etc for datalogging.

Okay for some reason it changed to 6 cylinder. I have everything else exactly the way you said to put it. I am fighting fuel cut issues right now at about 10psi. My afr's are good. They creep to the high 11s in the top end but I shift if it hits 12. (12.2 is the max safe limit if my memory is correct) But now I realized that when I bought this car it had a regular protege engine in it with custom oil and water lines. I am now questioning what injectors I am running. My map has values mostly higher than 10 but it is working well I guess. You can see the cut on the 2nd peak. The afr value shown is what it was right before cutting out.

Attachments

• Capture.PNG
    Capture.PNG
    34.3 KB · Views: 177
Last edited:
If the injectors are purple and green they are the stock 280cc injectors. If they are blue they are likely 440cc WRX injectors.

My MSPs tend to hit fuel cut at about 14psi, in cooler weather it's around 12. I'm not certain but I believe you can use the AFC like a voltage clamp to keep the MAF from hitting 5v and cutting ignition.

They are purple and green. Mazdaspeed and reg protege injectors are the same size? And how do I stop it from hitting 5v?

Hmm, that may have to do with the settings in the software. Have you changed the settings? Should be 4 cyl/4 stroke in the engine options, system settings should be vacuum/pressure and programmable signal controller, output settings should be pressure 0 to 30 psi.... in the first drop down, aux fuel pump with abortive start time, Output B should be over pressure, and output C is injA and B over/latched. Aux input settings are for connecting a Wideband, etc for datalogging.

i feel like we need an updated thread, perhaps a sticky, on the proper settings of the ss afc/ftc units. too much information to dig through on that long ssafc thread.

i feel like we need an updated thread, perhaps a sticky, on the proper settings of the ss afc/ftc units. too much information to dig through on that long ssafc thread.

That is so true. Everything is in that one thread and I can't find anything!

I had to open up the software to look up the settings, it's been a long time since I have connected my laptop to the AFC.

Any codes being throwen? if not do you have avalibility to a digital read out scanner for your obd port? Could be voltage issue to one of your sensors causing a misread.
I had a leaning issue and it ended up being a failing o2 sensor.

I had a barro code and neutral safety switch code. I noticed an exhaust leak so I got to get that fixed as well (tighten bolts). Also the harness to the maf looks pretty ragged to be honest with you.

Back