Tire size for 17x7.5 +45

TCMP5

:
2002 Protege5
Guys,

I searched but didn't find exactly the answer I needed.

I got a great deal on a set of rims in 17x7.5 with a +45 offset. I need to know what size tire I can get away with. I'm at stock height right now, and won't be lowering anymore than an inch or so if and when I do. I also have a friend with a fender rolling tool, so that's an option if necessary.

Anybody else have this particular size/offset combo? How wide/what profile can I run without hitting any suspension components?

Thanks in advance,

MH

You should be fine on your suspension components, but you will most likely have to roll the rear.

215/40/17 is the closest to the OEM tire size for the P5, and depending on what brand/model tire you get, it won't be stretched at all.

I have 225/45-17 on a 17x7.5 + 48, and the tires fit perfectly with rolled fenders. You will be able to do that tire size no problem on a +45 offset if you roll. If I recall, a 40 series tire limits your options, but I had plenty to choose from with the size I got.

225/45 is a lot bigger than OEM tire size, so your speedo will be off by 5.5% (it will show 60mph when you are really going 63.3mph). If anything, go 215/45.

Circuit, I wouldn't mind 215, I just want to make sure it isn't too stretched on a 7.5" wide rim.

Tirerack has a set of 215/40/17 Continentals for $60 tire with good reviews, and I had good results with similar Contis on my SVT Contour.

Oh, is the stock P5 tire size that much different than the MSP? On the plus side, that taller wheel would translate into a taller gear and maybe some better highway gas milage, haha. But Circuit is correct, you won't be stretching at all with a 215 tire. A 225 is just a hair wider than flush with the lip of my wheels, so you'd be fine.

And no I'm not lowered, but I plan to be lowered later this summer sometime.

Oh, is the stock P5 tire size that much different than the MSP? On the plus side, that taller wheel would translate into a taller gear and maybe some better highway gas milage, haha. But Circuit is correct, you won't be stretching at all with a 215 tire. A 225 is just a hair wider than flush with the lip of my wheels, so you'd be fine.

And no I'm not lowered, but I plan to be lowered later this summer sometime.

Stock tire on the MSP is 215/45/17, while on the P5 it is 195/50/16

im running on 17x7.5 +45's with 205/45/17's on. they appear to be a tiny, tiny bit stretched from certain angles but it's actually pretty flush. i'll be lowered on Eibach's here soon, and i doubt i will rub; even without rolled fenders.

Back