Tire Pressure Alarm

jpix

:
2013 cx5
Has anyone had issues with their TPMS going off even though your tires aren't flat? I know the system is supposed to alert when pressure changes but it doesn't appear that I have any issues. I reset the alarm and it came on again shortly after.

Set the tires to the recomended pressure after sitting overnight. Reset the sensors. Don't drive before setting the pressure.

I have had the exact same issue. What I chalk this up to is the extreme temperature we have had lately in Canada. The TPS system is not set to a certain level like 36 and if they fall to 30 then alert you. From what I have read they work based on set pressure that you set the TPM at. If you inflate your tires to 40 on all for corners you would then press and hold the TMP button to tell the car this is proper pressure for these tires. It then monitors a change from that set pressure. I am not sure the exact number but normally 2-5 PSI change will trigger it. I have had mine go off a few times also, just when it goes off don't rick it get out and look at your tires and make sure its okay. At the next convent time make sure they are inflated proper.

Not just the heat, but the cold too...letting it sit outside over freezing nights will many times trigger it in the morning.

The system should measure the difference in the 4 tires rolling speed and should not be impacted by temp. When you reset the system, are you getting two flashes from the dash light and a beep following the manual?:

1. Park the car in a safe place and firmly
apply the parking brake.
2. Let the tires cool, and adjust the tire
pressure to the specified pressure
indicated on the tire pressure label on
all four tires.
3. Switch the ignition ON.
4. While the vehicle is parked, press and
hold the tire pressure monitoring
system set switch and verify that the
tire pressure monitoring system
warning light in the instrument cluster
flashes twice and a beep sound is heard
once.

The week I bought my GT AWD I took it on a dirt road and was "testing" the stability control and just seeing how composed it was on gravel. After I got done with my playing around, I had the TPMS light on the dash go off. I didn't know what the light was at first, so I parked and looked it up, then checked all the tires. Everything was fine and the only way I got the light to go away was to reset the TMPS. No issues since then but still thought I'd share my experience.

The system should measure the difference in the 4 tires rolling speed and should not be impacted by temp. When you reset the system, are you getting two flashes from the dash light and a beep following the manual?:

So there are not any pressure sensors inside the tire?

I was planning on buying some rims dedicated to snow tires. Tire rack has an alert that led me to believe I would need to buy new tire pressure sensors. This is not the case?

No sensor in the rim. It uses the antilock brake wheel speed sensor. A low tire turns at a different rate than the other 3.

Last edited:
Tpms

No sensor in the rim. It uses the antilock brake wheel speed sensor. A low tire turns at a different rate than the other 3.

Thanks, that's good to know.

So, when I switch wheels I can just air them up to the same pressures and reset the system without using a stand-alone device?

The tires dont have to be the same pressure as the old tires since you are resetting it anyways. But yes you dont need tpms sensors in each rim.

I'm sorry - I wasn't clear. When I said "air them up to the same pressures" I meant all four tires the same pressure. Or maybe the TPMS is OK with different pressures front/rear? I would think for the AWD models the same pressures would be specified. My question was whether I would need to reset the TPMS so it would have a new baseline with which to track pressures and whether I needed a stand alone diagnostic type device to perform a reset.

Back