Time to say goodbye?

tasarian

Dear Mazda enthusiasts!
My 2007 Mazda 3 just passed the 12 year mark. It has gone 130k with no major repairs, only oil changes and a set of brakes. Am i crazy to say goodbye and trade it in towards a new CX-5? I don't drive a heck of alot, but a new job is around the corner which will see me driving up to 20k km a year, so i will need to have faith in my cars reliability. Also i need new winter tires and don't really want to spend $1000 or invest more into it if i don't plan on keeping it for another 5 years. May as well put that towards a set on a new cx5 perhaps. It has been beyond solid to date but perhaps it is time for a change? One concern i have is the safety features on the 2007 sedan, given that it was manufactured in 2006. I still enjoy driving it but at 130km am i on borrowed time for major repairs or issues?

Would appreciate any advice or feedback!!!

thanks

They say that of a repair bill meets or exceeds 50% of the value of the vehicle, it's time to sell. My aunt had a 2000 Mercury sedan for many years and she'd ask me every few years if I thought she should upgrade. I told her that the best answer for her depends on how she would answer the following questions:
1. How do you drive on average?
2. How often do you drive your car?
3. Would like to have a new or newer car with many more high-tech features?
4. Do you know what is available?
5. Have you test-driven and new cars, lately?
6. Have you compared insurance and tax/registration costs for newer vehicles?

Just last year, she finally sold her car and leased a new one. After all, she is 94 years old.

But getting back to your question: It's not about breakdowns if your car has been well-maintained. It's about whether you really WANT a new/newer vehicle and can afford the associated higher costs.

They say that of a repair bill meets or exceeds 50% of the value of the vehicle, it's time to sell. My aunt had a 2000 Mercury sedan for many years and she'd ask me every few years if I thought she should upgrade. I told her that the best answer for her depends on how she would answer the following questions:
1. How do you drive on average?
2. How often do you drive your car?
3. Would like to have a new or newer car with many more high-tech features?
4. Do you know what is available?
5. Have you test-driven and new cars, lately?
6. Have you compared insurance and tax/registration costs for newer vehicles?

Just last year, she finally sold her car and leased a new one. After all, she is 94 years old.

But getting back to your question: It's not about breakdowns if your car has been well-maintained. It's about whether you really WANT a new/newer vehicle and can afford the associated higher costs.

all good points, thanks

Back