Thoughts on Auto Tranny with the Manual Option?

:
2011 Mazda 3i Touring
Hi all, just bought a 2011 Mazda 3i Touring with the auto transmission with the manual option. I recently had a manual P5 that I really enjoyed and this is the first car that I have owned with the manual addition. So far I'm not sure how I feel about it. It's kinda cool, but what are the real benefits to it? Anyone got any tips on how best to use it?

Thanks all.

I have a 2010 3 i-touring with an Auto transmission and the few times I've thrown it in Manual Mode, I have notice that the cars power is more responsive. Its definitely a good way to kill your MPGs lol!

I have a 2010 3 i-touring with an Auto transmission and the few times I've thrown it in Manual Mode, I have notice that the cars power is more responsive. Its definitely a good way to kill your MPGs lol!

Yeah, I wondered about that. Manuals are supposed to get better mpg I thought, but when I throw it in M mode it's usually when I want to fly around a bit more so I think you are right in both cases.

I still have to figure out the best way to use it for cornering also.

Manual trannys get better gas mileage because it's a completely different transmission without all of the complications of an auto, not to mention weight differences. An auto tranny with a manual mode is still...an auto transmission...just heavier and more complex. It doesn't change the internals or all of the momentum that has to spin, not to mention all of the extra clutches it has enclosed in it as well when compared to a manual.

There is no additional benefit of a manual mode on an auto when it comes to fuel economy. It may give you more control over the gearing you're in, but make no mistake, everything functions the same, and the entire transmission is still rotating with the same inertia. It is just electronically (or sometimes mechnically) locked out of other gears when engaged.

Manual trannys get better gas mileage because it's a completely different transmission without all of the complications of an auto, not to mention weight differences. An auto tranny with a manual mode is still...an auto transmission...just heavier and more complex. It doesn't change the internals or all of the momentum that has to spin, not to mention all of the extra clutches it has enclosed in it as well when compared to a manual.

There is no additional benefit of a manual mode on an auto when it comes to fuel economy. It may give you more control over the gearing you're in, but make no mistake, everything functions the same, and the entire transmission is still rotating with the same inertia. It is just electronically (or sometimes mechnically) locked out of other gears when engaged.

WoW, good answer! Any tips on driving with this thing? Does it help with acceleration, getting into traffic, or is it just wishful thinking on my part?

Well, for one thing, the car WILL NOT shift any faster or slower in manual mode than it would in full auto. Man-u-matic shifting was basically created for those that don't want the hassle of a clutch but would still like to feel like they can be more involved in their cars operation, if so desired on occasion. Honestly, most people I know that even have the option use it maybe a few times a year. Maybe.

I'm not 100% positive, but knowing how TQ and HP curves are designed by nature, I would assume that leaving it in a lower gear longer at higher RPMs would simply keep you up higher in the TQ/HP band, thus meaning you'd have more power on demand. This might be useful in situations such as preparing to pass someone on the highway, as a downshift before you pull out to pass means that you'd immediately be in gear and ready to deliver the power when it's immediately needed...much like how you'd downshift a manual. All that mode is simply doing is giving you more say so as to when the car shifts...not at all HOW it shifts.

You should be starting to see now as to why fuel economy tends to suffer in manual mode, as automatic mode will attempt to give you the best mix of the appropriate power needed AT THAT MOMENT while achieving the best fuel economy possible through lower RPMS. Sitting in manual means you are taking away the computers ability to maximize fuel economy in exchange for faster delivery of power as you tend to sit and shift at higher RPMs then necessary in normal operation. Other times it might be used is in adverse driving conditions, such as snow. Many times, a downshift can be a safer way to slow your vehicle down vs. hitting the brakes and possibly locking up thus losing control.

Lastly, I don't think you're honestly going to be able to accelerate any faster in manual mode than in auto. You may be able to rev higher, thus creating the "excitement" illusion that you're moving faster, but in all reality, the car is just making more noise and likely using more fuel than it needs to. Again, it's just a way of making you feel more "in control" of you car byt allowing for more interaction. Stomping the gas in full auto will likely give you a quicker 1/4 mile time, as the CPU will be able to better gauge the best time to shift to the next gear, thus putting you in the power band again for the next gear down.

Sorry for the lengthy explaination...it's just not a short winded topic without getting confusing.

No need to apologize, well said!

One thing I know is that the chicks love when I put in in Manual mode. Well, one chick and she's only 7 yrs old, the other chick that I'm married to doesn't care, as long as she doesn't have to drive a manual like my old P5!

Nothing beats a real manual tranny I guess, but it's kinda cool to have.

(bowdown)Thank you again!!(bowdown)

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back