This HAS to be an MPG record!

i got similar results through stop and crawl traffic from the bay bridge all the way to the embarcadero and then back last weekend

What'd you idle away 8 of your 10 gallons you filled up? Looks like you might have messed something up when entering your numbers into fuelly. See what the next one nets you.

What'd you idle away 8 of your 10 gallons you filled up? Looks like you might have messed something up when entering your numbers into fuelly. See what the next one nets you.

Nope. That number is correct (matches the average on the dashboard computer). Maybe Skyactiv isn't optimized for stop-and-go driving with hills.

i got similar results through stop and crawl traffic from the bay bridge all the way to the embarcadero and then back last weekend

Hey, I drive the Bay Bridge as well. For a while after I got my CX-5 it seemed like every road I traveled in the Bay Area was a parking lot, and that I'd never get a chance to air her out a bit (and get more than 15mpg). Fortunately I've gotten some time off and had a chance to do a little unimpeded freeway driving, and my fuel use numbers have been creeping up. I'm averaging something like 24.5 at the moment, with about 50/50 freeway and city, so once my engine loosens up a bit I reckon I'll be right in line with the EPA figures.

Maybe Skyactiv isn't optimized for stop-and-go driving with hills.

Simple physics. Even electric cars take a big hit on steep hills.

Of course electric cars are much better in stop and go because there are no idle losses.
Idle losses can bring the MPG down to approach zero mpg depending upon your ratio of idling to driving. Looks like you got half way there.

Idling is zero MPG - you're not moving!

So, yes, any lengthy idling or bumper to bumper traffic will destroy MPG.

But, after only two fill ups? Efficiency will only improve, for such a low mileage engine.

Idling is zero MPG - you're not moving! So, yes, any lengthy idling or bumper to bumper traffic will destroy MPG. But, after only two fill ups? Efficiency will only improve, for such a low mileage engine.

I know. My commuting or kid-delivering in SF isn't in bumper-to-bumper traffic. This is ~12 mph average speed city driving, stop signs, brief lights. I'm not sitting in traffic jams (nor was I in my BMW). Same driving. Supposedly vastly superior MPG. If this "breaks-in" to better MPG, I will be thrilled, but I think it is important for others to see that this car may not deliver what is promised in certain situations.

I know. My commuting or kid-delivering in SF isn't in bumper-to-bumper traffic. This is ~12 mph average speed city driving, stop signs, brief lights. I'm not sitting in traffic jams (nor was I in my BMW). Same driving. Supposedly vastly superior MPG. If this "breaks-in" to better MPG, I will be thrilled, but I think it is important for others to see that this car may not deliver what is promised in certain situations.

Where is such a promise written? No one would be so foolish. There are dozens of variables - the largest being the driver and how they drive the vehicle.

I get about 22 in the city and 30 on the highway.

Here's a theory. You're trying to get the same off-the-line feel as the bmw and are giving the CX-5 a lot of gas. A 260 hp 6 cyl is going to have more grunt from a stop with average pedal than the 185 hp 4 cyl. Try watching the instant read mpg and re-tuning your footwork.

Here's a theory. You're trying to get the same off-the-line feel as the bmw and are giving the CX-5 a lot of gas. A 260 hp 6 cyl is going to have more grunt from a stop with average pedal than the 185 hp 4 cyl. Try watching the instant read mpg and re-tuning your footwork.

Excellent theory, and I wish it were the case. I am almost idling off the stoplights, coasting to stops. I am not a "hypermiler" expert, but I imagine I am emulating that style pretty well. I have been driving for 33 years in a variety of cars, and this I can't explain. My 2007 VW GTI got better MPG than this, and I drove it like I stole it. I am hoping someone here has had a similar experience -- I think I will need to take it in for a diagnostic test to see if something is "off" with the drive train.

Lowest tank I've seen is 25 mpg in South Bay heavy commute traffic usage. Yes, not SF.

Excellent theory, and I wish it were the case. I am almost idling off the stoplights, coasting to stops. I am not a "hypermiler" expert, but I imagine I am emulating that style pretty well. I have been driving for 33 years in a variety of cars, and this I can't explain. My 2007 VW GTI got better MPG than this, and I drove it like I stole it. I am hoping someone here has had a similar experience -- I think I will need to take it in for a diagnostic test to see if something is "off" with the drive train.

Reset the AVG MPG, fill the tank, and take a road trip out of town. See if your AVG MPG is the norm after 50-100 miles. If not, take it to the dealer. (Note: reset the AVG MPG on the hiway and it won't take 50 miles to get a good reading) I have noticed the CX-5 is geared well and will sprint up hills. That has to eat a lot of gas, but it sure is fun.

It's possible something is wrong the vehicle. But I'd give it a few more tank fills before deciding that, such low miles it's possible the engine and transmission are still in the learning mode. MPG *does* improve with time.

Lowest tank I've seen is 25 mpg in South Bay heavy commute traffic usage. Yes, not SF.

The 2.5 will be a couple mpg lower in same conditions. In ATX (short distances, stop lights, traffic, stop signs), it's about 22.7 or so.

The 2.5 will be a couple mpg lower in same conditions. In ATX (short distances, stop lights, traffic, stop signs), it's about 22.7 or so.

I have the GT 2.5L AWD and that's what I'm averaging....10.4L / 100 kms = 22.7 mpg

Bon

Drove for about 700+ miles.. From Bay -> Fresno -> Sacramento -> Reno -> South Lake Tahoe -> Vacaville -> back to the Bay...
3 tanks of gas
1) 259.7 miles (29.3mpg)
2) 332.8 miles (27.5mpg)
3) 196.7 miles (31.4mpg)

Pretty good mpg for a 2.5L AWD considering I don't drive slow and there was a good amount of hills throughout the trip.

Drove for about 700+ miles.. From Bay -> Fresno -> Sacramento -> Reno -> South Lake Tahoe -> Vacaville -> back to the Bay...
3 tanks of gas
1) 259.7 miles (29.3mpg)
2) 332.8 miles (27.5mpg)
3) 196.7 miles (31.4mpg)

Pretty good mpg for a 2.5L AWD considering I don't drive slow and there was a good amount of hills throughout the trip.

It looks like you got what was is expected for this car!

Back