Thinking of swapping 2006 for 2013

Rocket

I'm thinking of swapping my 2006 sport with 171,000 miles for a new 2013.

The 2006 has never been in the shop for anything other than a sliding door recall. I do all the oil changes myself. I've replaced one door lock and numerous rear shocks. Otherwise that's it.

I know that the 2013 has the 5 speed transmission and the suspension problems solved. Also the rear AC. Have the newer models been as reliable as the 2006 era? Anything I should be aware of?

Thanks!

The 2006 has never been in the shop for anything other than a sliding door recall. I do all the oil changes myself. I've replaced one door lock and numerous rear shocks. Otherwise that's it.

I know that the 2013 has the 5 speed transmission and the suspension problems solved. Also the rear AC. Have the newer models been as reliable as the 2006 era? Anything I should be aware of?

Thanks!

If I was you I would not swap it for the new 2013. The trade in value is probably low. Also, maybe your car has achieved some sort of nirvana and will just keep going. How many times did you do your brakes, as well as flush or drain trans. fluid? Just curious...
I do like the 5 speed auto on my 2010, it really shifts smoothly, other than that it's all the same. And I don't like the look of 2012 and up...

If it's a straight swap, I want one too :) ... It all depends on how much you want to spend on transportation. You probably will not get much for the 2006, if compared to a 2013 w/o trade. GL

I've never flushed the transmission, changed the brakes once. I did add the adjustable camber arms to the rear suspension. And I forgot I did have the front struts replaced once.

Money isn't a motivator, I know trade in will be low. The dealer is giving me 0% financing and a couple thousand off sticker, and that's just for starters. We've not really gotten into negotiations yet.

I know I got a good one with my 2006, I'm just wondering if the later versions, bad styling aside, are comparable to the early ones as far as reliability goes.

I think they are, just make sure there is no shimmy in the tires when you test drive. When I test drove a 2013, I assumed that the tires were just flat spotted, but then I read on here that it's a common issue.

Go for it. Though I can't offer any first hand experience on the +'12, I would bet the newer car is a tad more refined as is with any revised gen. Cars tend to get softer and softer over the revisions and lose it's raw identity. If money and body style is not an issue and you are happy with the compromises of this car, I think you'd be happier with the 2013. Now that the 2013 year is coming to an end and the dealership still has NEW 2013s, I'd hope you get them for a steal.

Last edited:

Thanks!

I am trying to sell my 2006 Touring with 97k, and am very saddened by the trade in values I got. $4-4800.(freak)

I am trying to sell my 2006 Touring with 97k, and am very saddened by the trade in values I got. $4-4800.(freak)

$4.8 sound about right. Cost a good dealer $400-500 to put a car on the lot, sell about $7000-$7500, make $1500-$2000 profit.
Sounds like a fair deal if you are also getting good price on a new car.
Plus you also get tax credit on the trade in toward new car purchase, so depending where you live, a small bonus.

2006 Sport
For 171k miles
Rough/Average/Clean (Tradeins) and private sale $1,505 $2,430 $3,180 $5,455
At this mileage it's going to auction.
No dealer will try to sell that on the lot.

Makes me feel good knowing that 3 years ago I got 12K $ for my 2006 Jetta with 60k miles, when I traded it for my 2010 MZ5

Last edited:
Unfortunately aftermarket stuff adds no value.
(boom02)

Definitely not as trade in, but to a person that wants those particular upgrades or mod things, I have always gone with a 40% of cost of mod / value ratio.

For example a person might pay $2000 make some upgrades such as a stereo, and some suspension mods. But to the 2nd buyer that WANTS those mods, it is worth $800 to them. However for the 2nd buyer that does not want those mods, it can detract from the value and even turn some buyers away...(argh)

But back to the issue at hand, and that is swapping an 2006 to a 2013... I like the better engine and better transmission, I hate the droopy drawer rear end. But is there anything else as practical as the Mazda5? The SWISS-ARMY-KNIFE of cars! The car that I have never seen a TV commercial for EVER! (direct)

(boom02)

Definitely not as trade in, but to a person that wants those particular upgrades or mod things, I have always gone with a 40% of cost of mod / value ratio.

For example a person might pay $2000 make some upgrades such as a stereo, and some suspension mods. But to the 2nd buyer that WANTS those mods, it is worth $800 to them. However for the 2nd buyer that does not want those mods, it can detract from the value and even turn some buyers away...(argh)

But back to the issue at hand, and that is swapping an 2006 to a 2013... I like the better engine and better transmission, I hate the droopy drawer rear end. But is there anything else as practical as the Mazda5? The SWISS-ARMY-KNIFE of cars! The car that I have never seen a TV commercial for EVER! (direct)

Funny you say that, as i have never seen a mz5 comerrcial in itself, but end of 2010 they had a general mazda commercial where the 5 would do a power slide lol, anyone csn find that again? Also the cx5 now has too much adverts, i feel...

Unfortunately aftermarket stuff adds no value. You are better off taking it off and selling it separately. I'd say the car is in the +/- $6K range, at most.
Yeah, aftermarket doesn't add much to resale value- I've always kept stock parts and parted out the mods for best overall resale value.
Funny you say that, as i have never seen a mz5 comerrcial in itself, but end of 2010 they had a general mazda commercial where the 5 would do a power slide lol, anyone csn find that again? Also the cx5 now has too much adverts, i feel...
Mine will slide the tail on a fast steering flick- with the mods I have on it. But no powerslide, FWD FTL.

Thank you friends. I ended up with a 2014 Mazda3 iGrand Touring. If that makes any sense seeing how I was shopping for a 5. But the kids are older, I figure I can make do with the car instead of the van. It's a sweet ride. I'll be over at the 3 board. Peace out!

Thank you friends. I ended up with a 2014 Mazda3 iGrand Touring. If that makes any sense seeing how I was shopping for a 5. But the kids are older, I figure I can make do with the car instead of the van. It's a sweet ride. I'll be over at the 3 board. Peace out!

LOL! Makes perfect sense, that's the same thing I just did too! GOD DO I LOVE THE HEATED SEATS!(eekdance)

wow, man congrats

I cannot believe you have had 171k on your 5 and never flushed the tranny. Were they all highway miles. Holy crap, that changes my belief about the MZ5 transmission. Maybe they are not that bad after all...but not sure why the fluid gets so dark.

I cannot believe you have had 171k on your 5 and never flushed the tranny. Were they all highway miles. Holy crap, that changes my belief about the MZ5 transmission. Maybe they are not that bad after all...but not sure why the fluid gets so dark.

The 2006-7 models used a four-speed transmission, not the 2008-current five-speed automatic.

The 2006-7 models used a four-speed transmission, not the 2008-current five-speed automatic.

So are you saying the 2008 and up are the transmissions that have failed? Because on edmunds most complaints are about the 2006s where they fail around 80-120 k. It seems that the repair frequency was high on 2006 then went down on 2007, then was really bad on 2008, and 2009 seems to be the best, but 2010 is the 2nd lowest with no problems. That is according to true delta.

Back